Rumour Tales from the Henley Beach Cafe 2: Crows 2021 Rumours

Where do you think Jordan Dawson ends up?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumour was that the first guys to meet and greet Dawson when he walked in the door last week and show him around were Smithers and Lairdy.

smithers will also be the first to meet and greet Rankine and luko when the time comes.. he aready has a connection with those two lads as he helped coach them in the u/18 SA side in their draft year whilst he was recovering from his knee injury.

smithers aint going anywhere.. hes a part of the furniture now.
Harry might join them as well....

Harry is really good mates with both of them, especially Luko

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feels like we reached with Rowe drafting him with a second rounder. He has zero contested game and his offensive game isn't good enough to make up for it. Also I cant stand his ducking and diving for free kicks, he is a shocker in the Toby Mclean/Joel Selwood mould.

Murphy is clearly a Petrenko stop gap type. Not much forward craft and butchers a lot of our forwars movement with high loopy kicks to nowhere. We should be able to weed him out over the next year.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agree with above.
Wingard is 28 (DOB July 1993).

My original thought was that he doesnt fit into our rebuilding phase and would take games away from younger players, however, i'm now thinking that if he came cheap tradewise (say 2nd round draft pick), then it may be a positive for the AFC in the sense that an indigenous player (and a talented one at that) has chosen to come to our Club and thus help somewhat improve our damaged reputation with the indigenous community.
Good post.

My main issue would be is impact on our salary cap.

Smith won't be traded by the AFC, he is so important to the connection of the group and cultural journey

Nicks has often said Smith is the one player that connects with every member of the playing group

Trading Smith will hurt the group

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So this is it. He pumped the tyres of Talia and Lynch who he just cast aside. He was no more glowing in praise for Smith than he was any other, including the 2 players that were voted in but he vetoed. All very stock standard, certhinly nothing suggesting that without Smith we're doomed.

Rumour was that the first guys to meet and greet Dawson when he walked in the door last week and show him around were Smithers and Lairdy.

smithers will also be the first to meet and greet Rankine and luko when the time comes.. he aready has a connection with those two lads as he helped coach them in the u/18 SA side in their draft year whilst he was recovering from his knee injury.

smithers aint going anywhere.. hes a part of the furniture now.
Not a rumour, he said it. He also said yesterday he hasn’t been asked to show anyone else around but expects we would still be trying to bring players in.

Good post.

My main issue would be is impact on our salary cap.
I don't see how we are paying minimum cap the next two years.

Have Hawthorn pay 25% of his salary and a discount on the trade and getting Wingard in as a stop gap before getting Rankine in is a no brainer.

I reckon Rankine will be in SA by 2023. Or whenever his current contract ends.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I wonder where Rowie is getting this Luko talk from, the only way GC would let him go is by maximising his trade value this year and it will cost us plenty.

he doesn’t tick the application, give a crap, or takes his career seriously boxes

in fact, he had the talent box ticked before he was drafted.

Ive some interest but it’s caveated

If you follow his socials you can see Rankine is literally coasting up on the GC, him and his girlfriend.

Don't think he's leaving anytime soon. Luko i'd definitely be having a look at, but not until end of next year, and certainly not for a high 1st round round pick, not unless his performances next year have a dramatic shift upwards.

If you follow his socials you can see Rankine is literally coasting up on the GC, him and his girlfriend.

Don't think he's leaving anytime soon. Luko i'd definitely be having a look at, but not until end of next year, and certainly not for a high 1st round round pick, not unless his performances next year have a dramatic shift upwards.
Once Rankine is OOC it may not be Rankines decision whether he stays up there or not. Gold coast may move him on. They currently aren't receiving a good return on investment.

Let's say we are able to do a deal to get Luko in. What position does he play in our team?
Given it would likely cost us our 2022 1st pick, would he be enough of a difference maker to make it worthwhile?
wing - between the arcs where his tank and elite kicking skills would be a great foil to the inside grunt we are accumulating on the middle. People underselling him round here a bit

Let's say we are able to do a deal to get Luko in. What position does he play in our team?
Given it would likely cost us our 2022 1st pick, would he be enough of a difference maker to make it worthwhile?
No he wouldn't. He would join the half back cue which we already have about 8 of. Dawson and Cook are our future wings for the next 8 years. In Cook's case I hope 10 to 12 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cal Twomey says Crows are interested in moving up to pick to pick 3

"RICHMOND and Adelaide are among the clubs interested in Gold Coast's pick No.3 with the Suns open to splitting the selection for multiple top picks."

Wonder who we have our eye one there?

wing - between the arcs where his tank and elite kicking skills would be a great foil to the inside grunt we are accumulating on the middle. People underselling him round here a bit

Mate he’s finished 10th in B&F for a team that’s 16th. Nothing to write home about at all. A decent season yes but think what they’d want will far outweigh the role he could play.

Yeah. I think we should forget him and help GC by taking Hollands off their hands. Rankine has shown that he is not made of the right stuff. Because of injury, Hollands hasn't yet. Hollands would be a better risk.

I agree. The optics of GC losing rankine now would be terrible for them and could it just embolden others to leave sooner rather than later

That's an interesting point.

Is it worth $700k for them to protect that, or better taking a stand? That's actually hard to know.

"RICHMOND and Adelaide are among the clubs interested in Gold Coast's pick No.3 with the Suns open to splitting the selection for multiple top picks."

I don't think North will pick Horne.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Mate he’s finished 10th in B&F for a team that’s 16th. Nothing to write home about at all. A decent season yes but think what they’d want will far outweigh the role he could play.
meh..best and fairest. Alir Alir finished miles away from winning the brownlow - but he was just about the most important player for Port this year

Yeah I saw that, what a monumental waste of draft capital it would be to move up 1 spot in the even part of the draft. It's a little early to start drinking Cal

meh..best and fairest. Alir Alir finished miles away from winning the brownlow - but he was just about the most important player for Port this year
Is that comparing apples with apples though? Where was Allir in their best and fairest. I totally agree that umpires not always the best view of things. Coaches are well placed though.

Is that comparing apples with apples though? Where was Allir in their best and fairest. I totally agree that umpires not always the best view of things. Coaches are well placed though.
Well the AFL players association have had him in their U22 team of the year for the second time running - so he can't be as bad or 'meh' as some around here are painting imo

Yeah I saw that, what a monumental waste of draft capital it would be to move up 1 spot in the even part of the draft. It's a little early to start drinking Cal
It might be more about us doing contingency plans. ie if JHF somehow slipped through, we have an agreement in place to trade with GC to ensure we get him.
It could just be as simple as that.

No he wouldn't. He would join the half back cue which we already have about 8 of. Dawson and Cook are our future wings for the next 8 years. In Cook's case I hope 10 to 12 years.
Mutineer suggested previously that Cook could perhaps take the Lynch high half forward role. That would obviously free up Luko for the wing. Or, maybe Luko could take that Lynch role. He'd be very dangerous there.

I guess ultimately, Luko is talented enough that you find a role for him. I just don't know if he would move us in 3 years time from top 8 to top 4

TBH I've never wavered on the 'make a decision on going after Rankine and Luko when they are out of contract' standpoint. At that stage both will be at the point of their career where we will know what type of player they will likely end up being for the next 8-10 years.

There is an argument that Rankine's value is at an all time low, and could potentially be 'bought cheap'. But Luko, would cost a kings ransom in draft capital, and I just don't think its worth it.

For me now that we have a good core of young players, pick 4 and Dawson coming in and a couple decent NGA prospects. So I don't feel like there is an urgency for either, if a deal that too good to pass up comes for Izak and bank on him turning it around, but other then that, let the Suns slow death continue, no need to help them delay the inevitable with more 1st rounders!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back