Rumour 2023 Rumours and Speculation (Rumours total 37!, 1 (busted) BIG FISH ALERT last October 9th) (9 confirmed! 17 Busted!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't underestimate the power of playing in a team that wins

He could be rich, or rich and in a winning team

I’ve said for years the biggest problem with equalisation is that the salary cap is too low

That means there isn’t that spread between the Value of contracts, so any team can’t really offer all that much more than anyone else

So if the contracts are similar, why not play where it suits you best?

Teams are trying to counter that by offering length, but that’s offset by uncertainty in uplifts to the cap over longer duration

If money is similar, and for good players it almost always is, why would you ever play anywhere but where YOU wanted; and not where it suited the league

I’ve said for years the biggest problem with equalisation is that the salary cap is too low

That means there isn’t that spread between the Value of contracts, so any team can’t really offer all that more than anyone else

So if the contracts are similar, why not play where it suits you best?

Teams are trying to counter that by offering length, but that’s offset by uncertainty in uplifts to the cap over longer duration

If money is similar, and for good players it almost always is, why would you ever play anywhere but where YOU wanted; and not where it suited the league
The salary cap floor should be eliminated at the very least, with poor teams allowed to bank as much deficit as they want.

Imagine if we had 5 million more to play with than Sydney because we dropped the bottom out of our list in 2020 and 2021 instead of paying the floor

I mean there's no way our 2020 squad was worth 95% of the cap

Taking off my negative hat and putting on my positive hat, at least we are in the ring trying to get a marquee midfielder (and a young one at that) to the club so it seems the club might be realising whet we all know about our midfield. I hope this positive take is not misplaced

The salary cap floor should be eliminated at the very least, with poor teams allowed to bank as much deficit as they want.

Imagine if we had 5 million more to play with than Sydney because we dropped the bottom out of our list in 2020 and 2021 instead of paying the floor

I mean there's no way our 2020 squad was worth 95% of the cap

That would lead to serious (and accurate) claims of tanking; which due to the integrity of the game concerns and the interplay with gambling firms couldn’t be tolerated

But the point remains the salary cap as it stands is the single biggest barrier to equalisation

The very step to improving things is to publish salaries. Players should want it, but it is the interests of agents and clubs to not have salaries made public

The great MLB players union negotiator Marvin Miller fought for years, tooth and nail, to get players salaries published - and the team owners resisted it just as fiercely

There’s a reason why

That would lead to serious (and accurate) claims of tanking; which due to the integrity of the game concerns and the interplay with gambling firms couldn’t be tolerated

But the point remains the salary cap as it stands is the single biggest barrier to equalisation

The very step to improving things is to publish salaries. Players should want it, but it is the interests of agents and clubs to not have salaries made public

The great MLB players union negotiator Marvin Miller fought for years, tooth and nail, to get players salaries published - and the team owners resisted it just as fiercely

There’s a reason why

Imagine finding out that Murphs was on 500k, it'd break your heart as a supporter

Why are Sydney supporters so touchy? I said on the drafting board that turning down 10 years wouldn’t have been a simple decision, regardless of being from Sydney or our current form. Gulden is gambling on continuing current form and getting an even bigger deal at FA in 4 years. I’m sure it will work out just fine for him, but it’s still a gamble (even if risk is low) as nobody can predict what happens over the next 4 seasons.

Why are Sydney supporters so touchy? I said on the drafting board that turning down 10 years wouldn’t have been a simple decision, regardless of being from Sydney or our current form. Gulden is gambling on continuing current form and getting an even bigger deal at FA in 4 years. I’m sure it will work out just fine for him, but it’s still a gamble (even if risk is low) as nobody can predict what happens over the next 4 seasons.

You have no idea if the 10 year deal was strong or speculative

That’s the point, we have placed a value, a discount factor on certainty. It’s entirely possible, probable even that that risk factor was not shared by Gulden’s management

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rumor Ron on SEN running with Phillipou not signing and returning home.
Also that Brad crouch won’t play another game as his knee is as good as our game plan.
I'm hearing, the main reason is a falling out with RTB .....but a knee is as good an excuse as any

Well can we move onto LDU next please?
I can say, for his immense talent .....he is one player that throws in the towel so easily, and has for large parts of games this year looked disinterested

He has personally hurt me in the 1st 4 games ...

Brando Can Not Forgive.gif

I can say, for his immense talent .....he is one player that throws in the towel so easily, and has for large parts of games this year looked disinterested

He has personally hurt me in the 1st 4 games ...

View attachment 1955682
If you had only won like 10 games in your first 89 AFL games you'd probably not play your best either, seems like a player who needs a sea change.

If next year he's a free agent then watch Collingwood use the Pendlebury money on him

If you had only won like 10 games in your first 89 AFL games you'd probably not play your best either, seems like a player who needs a sea change.

If next year he's a free agent then watch Collingwood use the Pendlebury money on him
He's be a good get for Collingwood because they have Jordan De Goey and the Daicos brothers already

We need to find our equivalent of JDG and Nick Daicos first

So strange that they are aware our midfield is a huge gap, offering ridiculous contracts, yet the achievable actions like changing the midfield mix aren't even attempted

This would appear to show a disconnect between the List Management team and the Selection Committee/Coaches.

What chance do we have if both departments are not on the same page. Draft as many midfielders as you want recruiting team as we the coaches aren’t going to give them any meaningful opportunity in the midfield.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

7 mill for 5 years at the swans or 9 mill for 10 years at the crows, know where I’m staying.
Yeah, he actually might not want to lock himself to a 10 year deal with a s**t club.

We should have offered him 3 on ridiculous money.

Interesting I posted that before watching this. Yep, he didn’t want such a long deal locking him away. We should have offered a shorter term on ridiculous money. Reckon we read the room wrong again.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back