Opinion Which club do you hate the most?

Which club do you hate the most?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I still don't get why Essendon is the most hated club? We've largely been irrelevant for a long time now, so we aren't shameless and bragging about our success. For some odd reason we're Hawthorn's, Carlton's (understandably), North Melbourne's (don't get one bit), Collingwood's, Richmond's most hated club list and then we're on the list of hated clubs by West Coast and Sydney fans. We don't have the most Jarring fans as well, most are pretty rational and normal fans with good insight, even if you look at who are Essendon fans on the media scene, Lloyd, Callum Twomey from what i know of are pretty well liked and respected. I would get why we're one of the most hated clubs as we have lots of rivalries with other Victorian clubs but that doesn't justify why we're significantly the most hated club and it's become an unconscious decision. Essendon have established traditional games like Anzac day, Dreamtime, Country game, and so one.

I would say it’s the drug saga.
In life I find Essendon fans to be absolute nuffies and I think that view is shared amongst many.

Collingwood Carlton Essendon

Geelong [Country Collingwood]

West Coast Adelaide Hawthorn

Fremantle Richmond Port Adelaide

Brisbane Giants Sydney

North Melb Gold Coast Melbourne Footscray

Growing up everyone was a Collingwood fan or an Essendon fan where I lived, it wasn't "cool" to follow anyone else. We'd be lucky to get a headline no matter what, so the 80's glory never really meant anything to me growing up in the late 90's, early 2000's. Pies fans were mostly fine, that particular breed of fairweather Essendon fans were always unbearable because of the bandwagoners, the media literally pushed early 2000's Essendon as the greatest team of all time even though Port are considered chokers because they "only" won 1 flag, Victorian media is the worst sometimes. So I already hated the club by association.

Jealousy. Plain and simple.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

people don’t hate Essendon’s because we are jealous of them…..it’s because their Supporterbase are arrogant when they have no reason to be arrogant since 2005 and because of the drug saga which put a bad taste in everyone’s mouth and Essendon fans still till this day believe they were innocent and hard done by!!

This year- St Kilda. Because their hamburger and cake fuelled coach is a whinger who blames umps and other teams for his own rotten performances.

Again reread the initial post. 90% of most uneducated supporters. I'm talking about the ones that can't name more than 5 players on your list, but love to parade that they are the biggest supporters to known kind. The ones that think the "Whats the only ship never to dock in fremantle... a premiership hahahahah." The ones that post to social media everytime the dockers lose. The ones from the other side that will boo any player that they can recognise on the field. The ones that can't understand the rules. The ones that just jump on the first thing the media says and run with it, the ones that will only watch one game a week and if they are losing turn it off. The ones that will only comment when they are up and about "How bout them eagles..."

I doubt anyone on BigFooty would fall into this category... (I hope not). Dockers supporters can be absolute idiots as well... every club has them. Unfortunately, when you are in a two town team and one has had all the success (these supporters usually go for the Wildcats and the Scorchers as well) in the world and one hasn't the proportion of arrogant and uneducated followers increases.

At the end of the day how can we be arrogant... we literally haven't done anything for near on thirty years... what is there to be arrogant about? The fact that a response to a question "Which club do you hate most?" needs some sort of comeback " you guys are just as bad" shows nothing but arrogance.

And this is why... the 90% you know those fringe supporters who can't take the rose coloured glassed off are the worst.
You just gave me flashbacks from when I lived in Perth.

always had a good yarn with Dockers supporters.

and some WC fans too.

but oh so many like you describe

I still don't get why Essendon is the most hated club? We've largely been irrelevant for a long time now, so we aren't shameless and bragging about our success. For some odd reason we're Hawthorn's, Carlton's (understandably), North Melbourne's (don't get one bit), Collingwood's, Richmond's most hated club list and then we're on the list of hated clubs by West Coast and Sydney fans. We don't have the most Jarring fans as well, most are pretty rational and normal fans with good insight, even if you look at who are Essendon fans on the media scene, Lloyd, Callum Twomey from what i know of are pretty well liked and respected. I would get why we're one of the most hated clubs as we have lots of rivalries with other Victorian clubs but that doesn't justify why we're significantly the most hated club and it's become an unconscious decision. Essendon have established traditional games like Anzac day, Dreamtime, Country game, and so one.
Not sure how old you are, but the Bombers were a powerhouse in the 80s, and for a fair bit of the 90 to early 2000s.

Their supporters were the most obnoxious campaigners you can imagine. Carlton too, who were also successful in that stretch. Whenever I’m tempted to feel sorry for either club’s fan base I just remember those times.

Aaah the sweet, sweet taste of schadenfreude on Saturday watching the Brave Bullies go down for the count.

I will not live long to enjoy the same pleasure from North and Carlton being humiliated in a GF. Neither has a remote chance of making one.

You ruined the competition for a few years being drug cheats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On average there are 5.6% of supporters from each club on here (1/18 = 5.6).
We have currently received 5.6% of the total votes.
What's the bet that it was only Fremantle supporters who voted for us?
Keep up the good fight guys.
Wow, your superiority complex is laughable! Did you not stop to ponder for a minute, that Australian citizens from outside of Perth, may actually despise a club with a drug-tainted past and supporters who BOO when a seagull invades the pitch?

I still don't get why Essendon is the most hated club? We've largely been irrelevant for a long time now, so we aren't shameless and bragging about our success. For some odd reason we're Hawthorn's, Carlton's (understandably), North Melbourne's (don't get one bit), Collingwood's, Richmond's most hated club

Essendon and North have history going back to when North was a VFA powerhouse and trying to get admitted to the VFL. It was not uncommon for North's better players to leave the VFA and join Essendon in the VFL, due to their geographic proximity. Essendon opposed North entering the competition around the time Richmond joined the VFL, and North had to wait until 1925, winning the flags in 1910, 1914, 1915, 1918. North set the record of 58 consecutive wins from 1914-1919, but still couldn't get into the VFL, despite being able to defeat the top VFL sides in the "club championships"

Our B&F award, named after our captain of the "invincibles", Syd Barker, left North after it was decided North and Essendon would merge in 1921. He joined Essendon, and was stuck, after the merger was blocked. He ended up being a dual Essendon premiership captain and coach (1923/1924). It's a little ironic he played more games for Essendon in the VFL than North (came out of retirement in 1927 and played 9 games).

Melbourne and society back then was a bit more divided by religion and class, and I have heard that Essendon was Protestant and North was working class Catholic, so that may have increased the rivalry.

All this history means nothing to Essendon fans, but as North fans, we have had a long struggle. It took 50 years, and we were the last of the 12 VFL teams to win a premiership. So there has been a long time to mull over past events. More recently, Essendon and North had a good rivalry in the 90s, but older supporters will say the dislike of Essendon may be due to a combination of the events when North tried to join the VFL, plus being jealous of Essendon's success.

Essendon and North have history going back to when North was a VFA powerhouse and trying to get admitted to the VFL. It was not uncommon for North's better players to leave the VFA and join Essendon in the VFL, due to their geographic proximity. Essendon opposed North entering the competition around the time Richmond joined the VFL, and North had to wait until 1925, winning the flags in 1910, 1914, 1915, 1918. North set the record of 58 consecutive wins from 1914-1919, but still couldn't get into the VFL, despite being able to defeat the top VFL sides in the "club championships"

Our B&F award, named after our captain of the "invincibles", Syd Barker, left North after it was decided North and Essendon would merge in 1921. He joined Essendon, and was stuck, after the merger was blocked. He ended up being a dual Essendon premiership captain and coach (1923/1924). It's a little ironic he played more games for Essendon in the VFL than North (came out of retirement in 1927 and played 9 games).

Melbourne and society back then was a bit more divided by religion and class, and I have heard that Essendon was Protestant and North was working class Catholic, so that may have increased the rivalry.

All this history means nothing to Essendon fans, but as North fans, we have had a long struggle. It took 50 years, and we were the last of the 12 VFL teams to win a premiership. So there has been a long time to mull over past events. More recently, Essendon and North had a good rivalry in the 90s, but older supporters will say the dislike of Essendon may be due to a combination of the events when North tried to join the VFL, plus being jealous of Essendon's success.

Terrific post.

Ironically after the 50s split in the ALP, Essendon supplied the highest votes for the old old Catholic DLP.

South Melbourne (and Port) were solid Irish areas too tho they tended more to the left.

Terrific post.

Ironically after the 50s split in the ALP, Essendon supplied the highest votes for the old old Catholic DLP.

South Melbourne (and Port) were solid Irish areas too tho they tended more to the left.

Port Adelaide?

Terrific post.

Port Adelaide?
Can't remember where I read but I read an outstanding short history of cultural and political background to the various clubs. Most clubs traditionanly had religious and broad political affiliations.

Melbourne Demons were the most elitist club, representative of Melbourne's version of old money. Liberal and protestant - with a mix of presbyterians (think Scotch College) and anglicans.

Hawthorn - wealthy, Liberal, and protestant - mainly anglican

Carlton - wealthy, Liberal, and traditionally protestant. People often identify Carlton with an Italian immigrant community, who were largely catholic, but that was only post WWII.

Essendon - working class, protestant, maingly presbyterian. Mix of liberal and labour influences

Collingwood, Richmond, and North Irish catholic and labour affiliated

St Kilda working class but not particularly religious

Footscray somewhat middle class originally, as road west headed to a lot of wealthier parts of victoria

Port Adelaide and Fremantle obviously port teams associated with working class and labour.

By far, Essendon, Collingwood and Richmond were the clubs with the strongest religious affiliations and so had a sectarian fervour to their rivalries (with Richmond and Collingwood hating each other due rivalry based on similarity).

I used to like North before I joined Big Footy.

Conversely used to hate Collingwood but besides one notable poster, I find most Collingwood supporters here fair and reasonable

I was there that day. It was quite something to witness a club win its first flag.

Back