Player Watch Rory Sloane - Re-Signed for 2024

Should Rory Sloane retire or play on in 2024?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see the usual suspects of our board derail another thread with bickering about Sloane. If it’s not whinging about Sloane being forward or mid, it’s something about Burton, or Chapman, not giving the kids enough game time….etc etc

It’s a rumour thread.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Rumour is you’re the new Sheriff in town

Sloane is cooked as a midfielder and his days there should be numbered. He should only play there if we have a horrendous run with injury. However, I think there's still a role for him at HF. He's strong overhead and a decent kick for goal plus it will give Berry and Pedlar more of a run in the middle.

Good to see the usual suspects of our board derail another thread with bickering about Sloane. If it’s not whinging about Sloane being forward or mid, it’s something about Burton, or Chapman, not giving the kids enough game time….etc etc

It’s a rumour thread.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Nan its not. This is the opinion thread. The real rumour thread is the one with no discussion.

This is where we all come to express our opinion. Now I reckon Sloane is worth our opinions and for me Sloane isnt cooked. He still has a roll to play and the forward zone is where he should be playing it. He could be our next Porp. He can take a strong mark, he can kick a goal. He has the courage to fly into a pack. He has leadership skills, understands the play. However I think he should step down as captain. He can still do all those things I mentioned without being our captain. I say this because he may have to be rested throughout the year which could mean he gets dropped back to the SANFL for a game if required. But I would still be playing him for the reasons I mentioned.

That’s ok if he was a mid ranged salary player, but he’d be our highest paid player but hasn’t played like that for the last 2 years and his next 2 will see him decline further. Now we have to find him other roles because he’s not capable of playing the role we are paying him for.

This is panning out exactly like some of us thought it would when we buckled and gave him this long term deal.
He's playing plenty of good footy this year

C'mon EC, let's not be 1970 now.... You're better than that

He's playing plenty of good footy this year

C'mon EC, let's not be 1970 now.... You're better than that
We can have an opinion on one of our popular players that doesn’t have to be rosey.

Plenty of good games is a stretch, he had an ok season, but certainly not one worthy of our highest paid player. He is no where near our best player and hasn’t been for the majority of this contract.

What’s now being discussed is his role going forward, we need him to move out of the middle. This role still needs to justify another 2 years of being our highest paid player which will take him near to 34 before he is finished.

The contract was at least 1 year too long. I get why we did it, we were desperate not to lose such an important player given our player exodus. He took full of advantage of it despite his nice guy persona. In reality, given the rebuild we are going through, losing him at that time and banking the compo pick in that superdraft would have been the smarter move, assuming we picked Butters, we’d be much better off.

We can have an opinion on one of our popular players that doesn’t have to be rosey.

Plenty of good games is a stretch, he had an ok season, but certainly not one worthy of our highest paid player. He is no where near our best player and hasn’t been for the majority of this contract.

What’s now being discussed is his role going forward, we need him to move out of the middle. This role still needs to justify another 2 years of being our highest paid player which will take him near to 34 before he is finished.

The contract was at least 1 year too long. I get why we did it, we were desperate not to lose such an important player given our player exodus. He took full of advantage of it despite his nice guy persona. In reality, given the rebuild we are going through, losing him at that time and banking the compo pick in that superdraft would have been the smarter move, assuming we picked Butters, we’d be much better off.
Agree to disagree comprehensively

Agree to disagree comprehensively
On which part?

That he’s our highest paid player?
That he hasn’t been near our best player during his contract?
That we will need to find a new lessor role for him?
That that role will mean he becomes further away from our best player and brings the amount he’s being paid into more of the discussion?
That his form will continue to decline?
That you wouldn’t prefer Butters?

He was mostly poor the first 2 thirds of the year apart from 2 good games. Finished the year pretty well though in terms of getting his hands on the ball. HS won't have a bad word said about him and even though he's tracking to the Thommo way of finishing, still believes in this 'on field leadership' being of value when football performance isn't up to scratch rubbish. Might be true for a Hodge type organising a defensive structure. But it doesn't apply to a player like Sloane in the midfield. We saw how poor that group was most of the year, even mentioned by Nicks when he spoke about not needing to be a professional footballer to just stand in the right spot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On which part?

That that role will mean he becomes further away from our best player and brings the amount he’s being paid into more of the discussion?
The whole premise of your argument that we would have been better off losing him. That's absolute rubbish.

If he moves forward he's a 40 goal a year forward with his skillset, what he's being paid to do that is largely irrelevant.

He was mostly poor the first 2 thirds of the year apart from 2 good games. Finished the year pretty well though in terms of getting his hands on the ball. HS won't have a bad word said about him and even though he's tracking to the Thommo way of finishing, still believes in this 'on field leadership' being of value when football performance isn't up to scratch rubbish. Might be true for a Hodge type organising a defensive structure. But it doesn't apply to a player like Sloane in the midfield. We saw how poor that group was most of the year, even mentioned by Nicks when he spoke about not needing to be a professional footballer to just stand in the right spot.
You've held a long standing irrational grudge against Rory, your opinion on him is largely irrelevant

The whole premise of your argument that we would have been better off losing him. That's absolute rubbish.

If he moves forward he's a 40 goal a year forward with his skillset, what he's being paid to do that is largely irrelevant.
No it is not, what he’s being paid is hugely relevant, your highest paid player should be close to your best.

So Rendell says 40 goals and now we are running with it?

Butters for another 10 years v Sloane isn’t even a debate, cmon.

And we'd have kept Brad at $200k/year less and a better midfielder for the last and the next couple of years.

No it is not, what he’s being paid is hugely relevant, your highest paid player should be close to your best.

I don't have much time for Matt Rendell these days, my opinion is my own.

Butters suffered a potentially career altering foot injury this year, so yeah it's closer than you think.

You've held a long standing irrational grudge against Rory, your opinion on him is largely irrelevant

Nope, it's yours because you can't hear a negative review of anything about him. You even downplay the value of his contract in support of his output. It's weird. Even if he has a 17 touch stinker you r3cjon it's awesome and better than anything any other player could bring in the same role.

So 40 goals is just a co-incidence ;)
Could do so yes, you only have to look at my comments on Rendell throughout this entire board to know I'm not a fan.

40 is a stretch but 30-35 is well in the ball park.

Nope, it's yours because you can't hear a negative review of anything about him. You even downplay the value of his contract in support of his output. It's weird. Even if he has a 17 touch stinker you r3cjon it's awesome and better than anything any other player could bring in the same role.
I'd love you to find the posts where I mentioned that.

You love to make up stories

On which part?

You want get any reality based views from HS on Sloane, you shouldn't waste your breath.

Back