Opinion The players you've been wrong about.

Remove this Banner Ad

and I would much prefer to argue with you....

Maybe take the Brownlow in isolation but Pendles won more AAs, better in B&Fs, much better in AFLCA awards, won a Norm Smith. For me the evidence is there.

Like the Ross Lyon quote because this is where the Daisy is greater than he is came from. Trouble is I am sure Ross Lyon didnt think Daisy was the best player in the comp, it was just a coach stirring the pot. Ross was the Saints coach and he made the claim a few days before we met the Saints. Also chucked into the quote "everyone goes on about Goddards finals" while pumping Daisys tires to the max.

This was a classic of an opposition coach using the media to fire up his own player. Saying how good Daisy was and at the same time having a dip at his own "best player player in the comp" Goddard, who was struggling at the time, was coaching mind games. Not sure why a coach doing that wasnt as transparent as it should have been. Goddard would have been raring to prove that week who was the "best in the comp".

Probably worked too. Goddard averaged 21 possies in the 9 games leading up to Collingwood. Average 28+ for the next 8 games. Spiked his performance.

Just to clarify comrade, I meant that I'd rather be winding your brother up over your good-self (even if Swipey is rather unflappable).

I happily acknowledge that over the journey Pendles has been the more accomplished player.

The most compelling evidence I could produce requires that you watch a Daisy highlight reel. Pendles couldn't do what he did when on fire. Thomas was a more spectacular and dynamic player:

Last edited:
A few of those false positives were due to injury. You're being harsh on yourself including them. Imagine if Lee Walker, Sean Rusling and Tom Davidson had a clear run at it?

Memories of Ruslings semi final in 07 will have me asking what if until my later years.

Just to clarify comrade, I meant that I'd rather be winding your brother up over your good-self (even if Swipey is rather unflappable).

I happily acknowledge that over the journey Pendles has been the more accomplished player.

The most compelling evidence I could produce requires that you watch a Daisy highlight reel. Pendles couldn't do what he did when on fire. Thomas was a more spectacular and dynamic player:

Here is me trying to say i was wrong, a rare undertaking in itself, and you keep trying to make me right. Solidarity brother.

Toovey - Thought he was a liability early on. Ended up becoming one of my favourite players. Reliable, consistent and learnt to play within his limitations whilst towelling up opponents.

JDG - Wasnā€™t convinced he had the explosiveness nor physical capabilities/attributes to play midfield. Particularly when he kept getting caught holding the ball in his early forays there. Definitely proven wrong.

Here is me trying to say i was wrong, a rare undertaking in itself, and you keep trying to make me right. Solidarity brother.

In the wonderful world of BigFooty even agreements can be furious.

The one I got wrong was Tony Shaw. Under Tommy Hafey Shawry was just another footsoldier another Plodder who played well in the wet but rarely did the inside work. Then when Leigh Matthews came into the club and challenged Shawry to actually get himself "super fit" and to take on responsibility....he blossomed into an outstanding inside midfielder and tagger and the engine room of the team.

Sometimes WE don't get to see what players can actually do, because of how their coaches view their talents and choose to use them.

Sometimes WE don't get to see what players can actually do, because of how their coaches view their talents and choose to use them.
I like it. I didn't get Shane Watson, Terry Keays and Heath Shepherd wrong - the coaches did.

I like it. I didn't get Shane Watson, Terry Keays and Heath Shepherd wrong - the coaches did.

If you only saw Watto as a forward yeah you would have thought....whatthe?
And Keays was still good enough to play on but was cleared because he liked a drink too much
Young Shep had the goods, he was just lost in the big smoke....

You didn't get them all wrong did you.

If you only saw Watto as a forward yeah you would have thought....whatthe?
And Keays was still good enough to play on but was cleared because he liked a drink too much
Young Shep had the goods, he was just lost in the big smoke....

You didn't get them all wrong did you.
I saw Watson playing full forward in the ressies when he was stupidly young - 14 or 15. And he wasn't out of place. I thought we had a superstar.

There were two others from that era. Athos Hrysoulakis and Daryl Groves who looked like they could be anything.

Why didnā€™t Athos make it. He looked the best of that under 19 team that went on and contributed to the 1990 flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I saw Watson playing full forward in the ressies when he was stupidly young - 14 or 15. And he wasn't out of place. I thought we had a superstar.

There were two others from that era. Athos Hrysoulakis and Daryl Groves who looked like they could be anything.

Why didnā€™t Athos make it. He looked the best of that under 19 team that went on and contributed to the 1990 flag.

Athos didn't make it because he was a shy Greek lad that didn't have the inner drive to work as hard as Lethal wanted him to work.
He was pretty silky though eh?

I always thought Chris Dalkin could have been a player. Beautiful skills and great vision off a wing or half back, I think we lost a lot of those talented kids during that mid eighties period of great flux within the club and Dalkin was a country boy who probably thought he could have more fun playing footy in the bush than he was having at CFC during the Collingwood/Richmond wars of the 80's.

I was wrong about Peter Moore. I've been wrong about pleny actually, but Moore was probably the big one. I remember seeing Moore's first game in the Reserves and my brother and I laughing at him. The long-legged, ungainly looking blonde running around and not getting near it, had us amused for hours. In those days I got to the footy at about 8am and queued to get into the ground. Got to see every young player every week. I still don't understand how Stephen Clifford wasn't a star - he starred every week in the ressies in the early 70s and was still a kid when he debuted. I think he was 17 and I had high hopes for him. He never really had the impact I'd predicted, but played quite a few games from memory. Moore of course became a star.

Thought Mark Orval was going to be a gun FF, same for Tom Davidson, Lee Walker.

My Major one I can think of Toovey. Thought he was Utterly Usless and a Terrible Kick and I even remember saying we never win a Flag with him in the Team. Glad to be wrong though

I thought Cameron Wood was going to become a Very Good Ruckman but sadly never really got better and was probably too much on the Soft Side

Thought Jarrad Blight had a Bright Future but could not put 100% into playing AFL

Great call on Blight - he was one I was bullish on as well

I was wrong about Peter Moore. I've been wrong about pleny actually, but Moore was probably the big one. I remember seeing Moore's first game in the Reserves and my brother and I laughing at him. The long-legged, ungainly looking blonde running around and not getting near it, had us amused for hours. In those days I got to the footy at about 8am and queued to get into the ground. Got to see every young player every week. I still don't understand how Stephen Clifford wasn't a star - he starred every week in the ressies in the early 70s and was still a kid when he debuted. I think he was 17 and I had high hopes for him. He never really had the impact I'd predicted, but played quite a few games from memory. Moore of course became a star.

Maybe it just came a bit too easily for Mr Clifford, if memory serves me correctly Bomber was built like 26 year old when he was 16... He was a star but in SA not Vic....

I was wrong about Sier... thought he had a Copeland in him... wrong, wrong, wrong.... now look what's happened...

Thought Ryan Cook was gonna be a good player.

Along with many I guess Phil Walsh and Ian McMullin were going to be stars for the Pies for years to come.

Premiership winning board member doesnā€™t count? šŸ˜€

I had a lot of hope for Damian Adkins which didn't amount to much for us.
Good call.

Watched both Chipper & Daisy's first games & thought we had two champs.

One wrong, one right.

Sums up my strike rate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back