Racing January Daily Punt: They call it the Magic Millions because millions magically disappear

Remove this Banner Ad

Another guaranteed G1 speed figure Perth starlet gone forever. How could you pile into it off the first up run?!?

Lucky I’m sure there’s Pike in the last for everyone to pile into

First leg of the Hong Kong triple crown is today, interesting to see how the series unfolds

You know racing has an obvious problem when even Matt Stewart can nail it on the head

Although he overlooks one of the more obvious solutions that I have been calling for for years - Australian racing DESPERATELY needs pacemakers.

You know racing has an obvious problem when even Matt Stewart can nail it on the head

Although he overlooks one of the more obvious solutions that I have been calling for for years - Australian racing DESPERATELY needs pacemakers.

Just on pacemakers, how would that sit with the expectation (rule?) of Australian racing that every horse must be ridden in a way that gives it an opportunity to win?

Just on pacemakers, how would that sit with the expectation (rule?) of Australian racing that every horse must be ridden in a way that gives it an opportunity to win?

Well it would be quite obviously be against it - but equally 75% of races being run at the moment have many of the horse not being ridden in a way that gives them an opportunity to win (i.e. back half of field in extremely slowly run race with the jockey just sitting there doing nothing)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fu** pacemakers it's the biggest blight on Euro racing. Jockeys need to get their own sh*t together and not sit out the back while they walk along in front

How is it a blight? Ensures a properly run race on the biggest stage - exactly what you want and is one of (many) reasons that European racing is the best in the world by panels.

We are past the stage of jockey's getting there s**t together - it's been like this for a decade.

Yeah i'd love to turn the Australian model into a euro model where they have 3 horse G1s and the participation+prizemoney is on its knees.

That Hong Kong place though what a shambles that is.

Imagine Waller turning around to syndicate owners of G1 horse in a doncaster and saying, so today guys you will be leading at suicide tempo to make Winx a $1.14 shot instead of $1.18. You will run last but at least it's one for the little guys.

As for makes it easier. Do the form better. Plain lazy to want same results every week as horses trend to 100% win chance it makes it easier for bookmakers. We should be aiming for a 10 horse race all priced $10 not a 10 horse race priced $1.10 and $100

Last edited:
How is it a blight? Ensures a properly run race on the biggest stage - exactly what you want and is one of (many) reasons that European racing is the best in the world by panels.

We are past the stage of jockey's getting there sh*t together - it's been like this for a decade.

Nup it is the biggest blight. It's team riding for the big stables and nothing more and has no place in a sport where tactics should always play a major role.

Lol please mate European racing is in the shitter. They have good staying horses through breeding but the industry as a whole is going awful.

Jockey capabilities and speed maps are all things to take into account when doing the form. Don't be lazy and actually put in the work rather than just saying let's just make them all run at the same strong tempo every race

Nup it is the biggest blight. It's team riding for the big stables and nothing more and has no place in a sport where tactics should always play a major role.

Lol please mate European racing is in the shitter. They have good staying horses through breeding but the industry as a whole is going awful.

Jockey capabilities and speed maps are all things to take into account when doing the form. Don't be lazy and actually put in the work rather than just saying let's just make them all run at the same strong tempo every race

I would prefer it if every horse got a fair and even chance to win the race. Which pacemakers provide and are an outstanding addition to the great game.

European racing in the shitter - lel. How well are we going then when their g3 horses just waltz over and walk in our best races. Nice myth

We’ve bred all the stamina out of our horses, they’re very weak. Accordingly jockeys hold up because their mounts generally aren’t capable of sustaining long runs. So you get “competitive riding” where jockeys are all watching each other, trying to put others in pockets etc. Pinch it!

Only bother with group racing these days and gamble very little compared to what I used to, in part because of the way our races are run. Would like to see races determined less by the jockeys and more by the horses.

We’ve bred all the stamina out of our horses, they’re very weak. Accordingly jockeys hold up because their mounts generally aren’t capable of sustaining long runs. So you get “competitive riding” where jockeys are all watching each other, trying to put others in pockets etc. Pinch it!

Only bother with group racing these days and gamble very little compared to what I used to, in part because of the way our races are run. Would like to see races determined less by the jockeys and more by the horses.

Yup. When horses get smashed off the map final field because of speed maps rather than form you know your jurisdiction is doing it wrong

Lol I'm sure all the participants would be thrilled if we started running around in our elite races for the pittance that the Euros do

Trying to get our horses to a better standard through breeding is a completely different topic to comparing the shambles the industry over there is in compared to here

Remove this Banner Ad

Back