Preview Round 1 2022 - Adelaide vs Fremantle, March 20, 2022

How many wins for the Crows in 2022?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

is tex not allowed to play in the preseason games?.. i though it was 6 AFL/SANFL minor round games he was banned from playing.. not preseason games too..

and, if so, is that club imposed?

Danger played trial games whilst suspended I think. I’d think Tex should be able to play.

I like the smokey Sogilio.

Worrell is still awhile off in my opinion, not like for like but McPherson gets the nod over Worrell.

Between Hamill and Hinge for halfback position. Think Hamill has it atm.

Milera over Sholl for me atm.
McAdam over Gallant.

Rachele vs Rowe
Could go either way.

B: Brown - Butts - Doedee
HB: Smith - Murray - Jones
C: Dawson - Keays - Milera
HF: Sloane - Thilthorpe - McHenry
FF: McAdam - Fogarty - Rachele
R: O'Brien - Laird - Schoenberg
Int: Hamill - Crouch - Berry - Cook

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yeah, your reports have certainly put that thought into my mind. Especially alongside the narrative that he was an obvious pick. He might be bolting.

I struggle with McPherson at the moment though it's more due to that I would like to see us prioritise a different skillset to what he offers as I doubt he has the offensive ceiling of a Worrell or a Milera/Hinge (and eventually Parnell). I've gone for Worrell due to his form in the early part of last season in the SANFL and I think he potentially has the highest reward, as offensive third tall/interceptors seemingly get the most bang for buck impact, and it gives Doedee match ups against mid-sized forwards. That said, I don't really think there is a wrong way to go with that position at the moment. If Jones didn't bounce back, he'd probably be in for me and I'd probably wouldn't mind him having a crack at Browns spot if it opens up.

Sholl has so played better football in his career so far then Milera has, so I'd rather see him get the first shot to cement that spot back up after faltering in the back end of 2021. Especially as those issues seemed more related to fatigue then any genuine issues.

McAdam had an alright 2021, though I prefer Gollant moving forwards just through how quickly he showed he was above SANFL level and how raw he is (after all, he could easily have another 10-11 kg left to put onto that frame). After all, he went from a 2nds debut to an actual debut in 2 months and that was after coming back from injury which derailed the first two months of last season. It was earned too, seeing he went at 9.9 disposals/3.8 marks/2 goals and really, he left a couple of bags on the table against Glenelg and Norwood. When you get an underdeveloped player show that, you've got to play them because you've potentially got a serious talent on your hands.

Sholl has so played better football in his career so far then Milera has, so I'd rather see him get the first shot to cement that spot back up after faltering in the back end of 2021. Especially as those issues seemed more related to fatigue then any genuine issues.
Nah Milera was better in 2018. His second half of the year especially was very good. Just because 2019 didn’t live up the hype doesn’t mean his best isn’t very good.
I think because he’s been out so long some people forget that.

How much his injuries have affected him remains to be seen though.

Yeah, your reports have certainly put that thought into my mind. Especially alongside the narrative that he was an obvious pick. He might be bolting.

I struggle with McPherson at the moment though it's more due to that I would like to see us prioritise a different skillset to what he offers as I doubt he has the offensive ceiling of a Worrell or a Milera/Hinge (and eventually Parnell). I've gone for Worrell due to his form in the early part of last season in the SANFL and I think he potentially has the highest reward, as offensive third tall/interceptors seemingly get the most bang for buck impact, and it gives Doedee match ups against mid-sized forwards. That said, I don't really think there is a wrong way to go with that position at the moment. If Jones didn't bounce back, he'd probably be in for me and I'd probably wouldn't mind him having a crack at Browns spot if it opens up.

McAdam had an alright 2021, though I prefer Gollant moving forwards just through how quickly he showed he was above SANFL level and how raw he is (after all, he could easily have another 10-11 kg left to put onto that frame). After all, he went from a 2nds debut to an actual debut in 2 months and that was after coming back from injury which derailed the first two months of last season. It was earned too, seeing he went at 9.9 disposals/3.8 marks/2 goals and really, he left a couple of bags on the table against Glenelg and Norwood. When you get an underdeveloped player show that, you've got to play them because you've potentially got a serious talent on your hands.
I had a few moments were I was like this kid can play. I can't see him pushing past Berry and Pedlar for midfield time, but they were playing him fwd at times so maybe a role similar to Berry or Schoenberg.

Worrell still needs alot of development but I wouldn't complain if we just tried to get games into him. I agree the upside could be massive.

If you rewatch some of the games towards the end of last year, McPherson ball movement and link up play off half back was fantastic. Hawthorne and North game. Id be interested to see what you think. Todays match sim they were using Jones and McPherson for the rebounding play. Unfortunately I don't think he's great one on one yet. Everyone always says he's the Brown replacement but I think Hamill is better lock down defender and with his speed he's a handful for pacey small fwds, and seems to be getting really decent one on one.

I'd have to disagree, I think Milera has much more weapons and rounded game the Sholl.
As for played better footy, Sholl has some pretty good games the start of last year but horrible towards the end. It's hard for me to remember so might be a little off but I thought 2018, Milera got thrown around every where and still managed to preform really well. In match sim yesterday he got boxed in on the wing and worked his way out.

I think the fact sholl has had games as a wingman in the Afl should help. I reckon Smith is looking for a wing role also, and you have Cook that finished the year ahead of Sholl, but I think Cook best position for the next few years is in the fwd line.

Seedsman would want to get healthy quickly cause we has some competition for his spot.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Nah Milera was better in 2018. His second half of the year especially was very good. Just because 2019 didn’t live up the hype doesn’t mean his best isn’t very good.
I think because he’s been out so long some people forget that.

How much his injuries have affected him remains to be seen though.
His best is very good but I don't think we've ever seen more than glimpses of it. Partly due to having a lot of injuries, but even when he's played a decent number of games (2017-18-19) the strong performances have been more of a tease than a regular occurrence. In fairness to him, a lot of that was his early developmental kind of seasons so it's not fair to expect him to dominate. But he's now got a decent number of games to his name and is in an age bracket and where he needs to start producing.

Hopefully his body is now right and he can start delivering on his potential and talent, because if he doesn't there are a lot of young players who are going to go past him this year or next. Also need to bear in mind that the club signed him to a long term deal (end of 2025). I'm not sure what kind of dollars that's on, but it could become a burden if he can't get fit or consistently perform at a high level.

His best is very good but I don't think we've ever seen more than glimpses of it. Partly due to having a lot of injuries, but even when he's played a decent number of games (2017-18-19) the strong performances have been more of a tease than a regular occurrence. In fairness to him, a lot of that was his early developmental kind of seasons so it's not fair to expect him to dominate. But he's now got a decent number of games to his name and is in an age bracket and where he needs to start producing.

Hopefully his body is now right and he can start delivering on his potential and talent, because if he doesn't there are a lot of young players who are going to go past him this year or next. Also need to bear in mind that the club signed him to a long term deal (end of 2025). I'm not sure what kind of dollars that's on, but it could become a burden if he can't get fit or consistently perform at a high level.
True but he was only 22 the last he played an AFL level game for points.

I’m hoping rather than expecting that Milera will turn out a really good player. I can’t remember any really great games, although I see he did get 1 brownlow vote twice in 2018 (Sholl is currently on 5 career votes)

Pre-injuries, Milera had just sort of found his feet at the level and we have missed out the last couple of years seeing him grow into the player most thought/hoped he would become.

At his best, and with the expected projections, he could have been anything, but have the injuries killed off that hope? Not sure, but hoping not because his best is pretty exciting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pre-injuries, Milera had just sort of found his feet at the level and we have missed out the last couple of years seeing him grow into the player most thought/hoped he would become.

At his best, and with the expected projections, he could have been anything, but have the injuries killed off that hope? Not sure, but hoping not because his best is pretty exciting.

Thanks for the video, had forgotten most of that! Short memory I guess

If he could get back to 85% of what he showed in those highlights, he will be a massive addition to the team.

Watching Wayne weave through opposition players like they weren’t even there was a joy to watch. I really hope we get to see more of it

All I wanna see from Wayne this year is to just get 20+ games. Not too fussed how he plays. Get the body back into playing football, get through the season healthy and then have a big preseason and go to another level in 2023.

FB: Doedee - Butts - Jones
HB: Milera - Murray - Smith
C: Seedsman - Keays - Dawson
HF: McHenry - Fogarty - Sloane
FF: Gollant - Thilthorpe - Rachele
FOLL: O’Brien - Schoenberg - Laird
INT: Frampton - Crouch - Hately - Hamill
Who are your emergencies?

I like it, but I wonder who isn't there ...

FB: Doedee - Butts - Jones
HB: Milera - Murray - Smith
C: Seedsman - Keays - Dawson
HF: McHenry - Fogarty - Sloane
FF: Gollant - Thilthorpe - Rachele
FOLL: O’Brien - Schoenberg - Laird
INT: Frampton - Crouch - Hately - Hamill
Brown will play. Also don’t think Seedsman will if he doesn’t improve soon. You don’t have a KPD on the bench, we won’t go in with 3.

Mego Red missing are Brown, Sholl, McPherson, Rowe, Cook, Berry.

Who are your emergencies?

Of those I didn’t pick I reckon those closest to a spot would perhaps be Rowe (Rachele), Sholl (Seedsman), Pedlar (Crouch), McAdam (Gollant) and Brown/McPherson (Hamill).
Oh forgot about McAdam, reckon he will be in, his preseason looks to have been a good one

Back