Football Related Random Thread - PART 2

Remove this Banner Ad

In other industries Tom may have got a warning, but the fact is he is a high profile job with a lot of public scrutiny. The stakes are higher.

I don't want my daughter's up have to work with someone who talks behind their backs like either of those two clips so I agree with the sacking.

But I also am horrified that he so stupidly threw away his career. There simply is no excuse - the standards have been clear, especially since the AFLW was established.

It's not like there will be other opportunities in the field cause there's a very small number of jobs. He is going to have to completely start again, and the thought of that is horrifying. Stupid boy shat all over a golden ticket.
The Age Real Footy podcast discussed his sacking and reckon the industry will offer him some form of redemption in 12 months or so.

The Age Real Footy podcast discussed his sacking and reckon the industry will offer him some form of redemption in 12 months or so.
Would not be surprised at all. You dont get into the network without a lot of contacts and they do their best to protect each other. As much as we would hate it, similar things are probably done and said by half of his peers

Would not be surprised at all. You dont get into the network without a lot of contacts and they do their best to protect each other. As much as we would hate it, similar things are probably done and said by half of his peers
This is pretty much what the said, and gave examples of others who had screwed up and were accepted back.

Lol now I know how I really feel - is it that easy to get back? A 12 month suspension?

It needs to include a big chunk of education, a pay cut and some sort of proof he has changed. I mean, that worked after the Eddie v Goodes fiasco right? 🤔

Lol now I know how I really feel - is it that easy to get back? A 12 month suspension?

It needs to include a big chunk of education, a pay cut and some sort of proof he has changed. I mean, that worked after the Eddie v Goodes fiasco right? 🤔
I'm a big believer that forgiveness frees the victim as much as the perpetrator. No one will forget those words so he has a lot of work to do to get himself back. If indeed that's what he wants to do.

Wasn't he convicted/confessed of being a drug cheat, had his Brownlow revoked, and a key figure (team Captain) in the doping saga that got the whole team suspended?
That’s very very stiff to pin on Jobe. He did what he was asked of by the club. How was he to know exactly what was happening. Pairing him with Wayne Carey is extremely extremely harsh!!

On last week's roar deal Dom and Mike referred to the glory days. Not the premiership years, where expectations and disappointments were all high.

The glory years were toward the start of Fagan's reign, when we went to a game hoping, and excited but with no real expectations. And then we'd win, and it was AWESOME!! Especially those wins against all logic, like the miracle on grass game. What a feeling that was.

We'd read the online news articles in the car on the way home (back when different media outlets had their own stories). And watch the recording of the game as soon as we got home.

Bigfooty was bursting with contributors and conversations raged over pointless but seemingly grand ideals.

Winning is great now, and maybe I'm just getting older. Don't hammer me too hard for this - but it doesn't seem quite as much fun as it once was.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be in the crowd every game going nuts, and I'll shell out whatever it costs to get to all the the finals we play in.

But maybe, when I'm sitting in the nursing home with the rug over my knees, remembering the past grandeur, it will be the rollercoaster of emotions around the 20-teens years that comes to mind.

On last week's roar deal Dom and Mike referred to the glory days. Not the premiership years, where expectations and disappointments were all high.

The glory years were toward the start of Fagan's reign, when we went to a game hoping, and excited but with no real expectations. And then we'd win, and it was AWESOME!! Especially those wins against all logic, like the miracle on grass game. What a feeling that was.

We'd read the online news articles in the car on the way home (back when different media outlets had their own stories). And watch the recording of the game as soon as we got home.

Bigfooty was bursting with contributors and conversations raged over pointless but seemingly grand ideals.

Winning is great now, and maybe I'm just getting older. Don't hammer me too hard for this - but it doesn't seem quite as much fun as it once was.

Don't get me wrong, I'll be in the crowd every game going nuts, and I'll shell out whatever it costs to get to all the the finals we play in.

But maybe, when I'm sitting in the nursing home with the rug over my knees, remembering the past grandeur, it will be the rollercoaster of emotions around the 20-teens years that comes to mind.
2019 was a fantastically fun year when we come from the clouds to finish second after the home and away.
No real expectation but it was a bloody fun ride.
The expectation is there now and the ride is still fun but it makes games like Last week much harder to watch and a bit more stressful due to the fact that we know the team could have played so much better which makes the win over a top 4 team from last year a little bit sour due to that “expectation” and to have “a win” is kind of not enough anymore.
We seem to think they should be smashing teams on a regular basis. And anything less is sometimes a bit disappointing.

2019 was a fantastically fun year when we come from the clouds to finish second after the home and away.
No real expectation but it was a bloody fun ride.
The expectation is there now and the ride is still fun but it makes games like Last week much harder to watch and a bit more stressful due to the fact that we know the team could have played so much better which makes the win over a top 4 team from last year a little bit sour due to that “expectation” and to have “a win” is kind of not enough anymore.
We seem to think they should be smashing team on a regular basis.

Lol I think Carlton tonight reminded me of the fun years. Noone expected the win, and I'm sure their fans (and Voss at home) were having a ball.

Must be totally weird to be the coach at home only able to watch the game as a fan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">2022 AFL predictions:<br><br>Brisbane<br>Melbourne<br>Sydney<br>Bulldogs<br>Richmond<br>Port Adelaide<br>Fremantle<br>GWS<br>————————<br>Geelong<br>Carlton<br>Essendon<br>Gold Coast<br>St Kilda<br>Adelaide<br>North Melbourne<br>West Coast<br>Hawthorn<br>Collingwood<br><br>Premiers: Brisbane<br>Runners-Up: Demons <br>Brownlow: Oliver<br>Coleman: Naughton</p>&mdash; Dem Panopoulos (@DemPanopoulos) <a href="">March 12, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What we know about Brisbane​

Brisbane Lions​

First: 12 points, 173.4 per cent

Leading goalkicker: Joe Daniher — nine goals

Most disposals: Lachie Neale — 99 (three games)

Key stats:

The Lions are the top-scoring side in the AFL (111 points a game).

They have the second-best defence in the AFL (64 points conceded a game).

From the opening round, we know that the Lions are capable of playing an average match and still mounting a final-quarter comeback to overcome opponents.

We also know that Brisbane can be ruthless with the football and put teams to the sword — just ask North Melbourne.

It is clear already that Lachie Neale is back in something approaching his best form, AKA Brownlow-medal-winning form, which makes the Lions much more dangerous going forward.

He was almost not needed in the demolition of the Kangaroos, but his display in round two against Essendon — 41 disposals, 12 clearances, nine inside 50s, nine score involvements and seven intercepts — was pivotal.

We also know that the big positional change of the early season, moving Dayne Zorko to half-back, is working very well.

The "Magician" may not be playing the contested-ball role for now, but his vision and presence off half-back guiding the play is helping the Lions' ball movement.

And what we don't …​

The first question that will get answered this week is can big man Darcy Fort carry the Lions in the absence of Oscar McInerney.

The combination of both men has been part of Brisbane's success in the first few rounds. The pair have averaged a combined 33 hit outs, 23 disposals, eight clearances, eight score involvements and four intercepts.

Against the Cats, they will meet Rhys Stanley and Mark Blicavs, who average a combined 30 touches, 25 hit outs, four clearances, 12 score involvements and nine intercepts. It's not just about the tap work. If Fort struggles, the Lions may find themselves turned around by the Geelong midfield.

What about Joe Daniher? The Brisbane spearhead leads the way with nine goals in three games. But a couple of options taken, including the infamous handball on the siren in round one, suggest a possible issue with confidence. He doesn't have to dominate, but he has to take his chances if Brisbane is to go deep.

The big thing we don't know? Lions sides have looked impressive at various times in recent seasons but the acid test will again come with finals.

If Chris Fagan's men can maintain their form and have another high finish, can they go the extra step in September?

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan is set to step away from the game’s top job after eight years.

The longtime league executive had signalled his intention to resign as CEO before the pandemic but gave chairman Richard Goyder his assurance he would stay on to help rebuild the competition.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan is set to step away from the game’s top job after eight years.

The longtime league executive had signalled his intention to resign as CEO before the pandemic but gave chairman Richard Goyder his assurance he would stay on to help rebuild the competition.

Strange, I read a similar report on 1st April, with Eddie as the likely replacement!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back