Review Freo Smalls 2 Fast, 2 Furious - Freo Win by 35 Against Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Last night, late in the game Carlton had a switch and spread hard to the fat side. Watching Mundy try to keep up with the tanker mid was painful to watch.
He is still best 22, but we need to make the most of this season to send the great man off in style.

Not much more to add to what was a very satisfying night. Only real small negative was we slipped over at least 6 times last night. Against Essendon it was similar. I didn’t notice the the other mob slipping?? Control what you can control and wear the correct boots.

I’ll confess I thought Brodie might be a ok player but the real prize was pick 19 (Johnson). I’ll happily state now he is a gun!

Had a mooch on the Carlton board, fair bit of rationalising going on. Some fair points (loss of Pittonet early and missing Silvagni) but ignore their vaunted forward line got 10 touches. I particularly loved this corker (paraphrasing)

"We [Carlton] had the wrong mix of personnel against a Freo side who were only missing Fyfe, Young and Chapman..."

fu** me, those three walk into any side in the comp currently.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

They’ve got to be kidding missing Silvagni, De Koning came in for him and was one of their best, had 8 touches in the first quarter

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What has impressed me most is our consistency and JLs coaching.

I suspected pre-game that the Blues would come out hard in the 1st but I had faith that we would defend better than the other teams they'd played so far, so rather than them piling on 6 goals in the 1st, I knew that if they 'got a run on' we'd be able to minimise their scoreboard impact... which we did. Our backline is shithot.

I had faith at Qtr time that we'd continue to apply effort over 4 quarters (which we did), but I wasn't sure how we'd create more opportunities for our forwards. I don't know if anything in the gameplan changed significantly, but after qtr time, the relentless pressure from our small and mids and the discipline of knowing when to run and attack and when to switch the play and keep the width seemed to allow a bit of space for us to crack them open. I reckon we are really well coached - the players trust the plan, and it works. And gee whizz, I never thought I'd say it, but Blake Acres can footy!

This is the first time since 2015 that I've trusted that we won't get pumped... That I've trusted that even if we're behind, we're a chance... That I've trusted that we'll beat the shit teams and challenge the good teams... That I've trusted that we can cover a few outs... The question is, where do we sit relative to the good teams? Are we top 4? Top 6? Top 8? Or a flash in the plan? And no, I don't put much value in the opinions of East Coast 'experts' who barely watch us play.

The pessimist in me points to the idea that we haven't beaten anyone really good. West Coast are terrible (I feel so much pity for their gracious and humble supporters), and so were Essendon (especially without Merrett, Stringer and Tippa). Adelaide actually seem like a decent mid tier team, and we did beat them away, but it was without Tex. GWS I think are better than their ladder position suggests. I reckon they are a decent and we were solid in beating them. I think Carlton are also 'mid tier' rather than being a good team. Their percentage is reflective of their significant inconsistencies and their vulnerability to losing one or two important players. I'm still really happy with the win but they do not look like a top 6 team to me. (Maybe we just made them look bad?)

Saints look a step above the other teams we've played. Back in round 2 I think we were still finding our rhythm and were without Cox, Mundy and of course Fyfe and we were in front when lost Darcy at the start of the 3rd term. They smashed us in clearances and won, but it could have gone either way if Mundy, Fyfe or Darcy were there in the last quarter. And the thing is... if you don't rate St Kilda as a top 6 team, then who do you rate?

On the plus side, you can only beat who you play and our percentage is elite, we are defensively elite, and we are regularly kicking decent scores. We plug Fyfe back in and our midfield starts to look very hard to play against. If either Treacy or Sturt start kicking bags in the WAFL and force themselves in, I think we'll be dangerous across all 3 lines.

I think we're a young team who's improving every week. Geelong at the Cattery will be a big ask (particularly because the shape of the ground might not suit our run and spread game) and I reckon the Dees will be hard to beat this year. But other than that, there's no team we'd be intimidated by and there's 12 teams that aren't as playing as well as us.

I'm not convinced we're a top 4 team yet and we're maybe too young to win deep into September, but I trust this coach and I trust the plan and I trust this group. Chuck your sunnies on Freo fans, the future is bright.
Excellent summary and spot on-love your work.

If Melbourne lose 70-66 against Tigers we will be exactly equal on points, total points scored and total points against. EXACTLY equal.

So Tigers 71-66 please to place us top!

Reality is Melbourne probably win by 58 and continue to highlight the gap.

Some stats to support how good Acres is going for the doubters/haters. I must admit in the past I’ve had my doubts, but the below show what a good preseason and fitness can do….

In Vic, Ed Langdon is being praised as the best winger in the game. Both Langdon and Acres are 26. This season Langdon ahead in av disposals 24.8 vs 21.2 but Acres has better disposal efficiency of 75% vs Langdon 65%. Surpringly Acres averages more metres gained (440.6 vs 425.3), more inside 50’s (4.3 vs Langdon 3.2), more score involvements (5.3 vs 4.8) more goal assists (0.5 vs 0.2) and twice as many tackles (2.8 vs 1.4). There “intercepts”, “goals” and “turnovers” are all very similair but importantly Acres is slightly ahead in “ pressure acts” with an average of 13.8 vs Langdon 12.6. Lastly (and for some most importantly) in AFL fantasy points Acres is ahead with an av of 85.7 vs 85.4.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I don’t think we can underestimate the coaching staff on getting acres and some of big footy’s other “bunny boys” up this season. His confidence just seems so much greater this season and he believes he is an afl footballer. I said it before and I’ll keep saying it; self brief is the greatest thing to have as a footballer and Jlo and team has created a culture where self belief is oozing out of almost all players.
Added to that the group is playing for each other. Look at Lobb last night. Had to stand up in the ruck in the last 1/4 and showed what he is capable of. (Greg Harding has always said he’s a ruckman.) He played his role and fought really hard in the guts. Loved it!
Bring on Geelong. Play with 4 1/4s of that sort of system and intensity and we might just come away with the chocolates.

We get the best out of Walters when he plays on the big stage. Prime time games when the crowd is buzzing is what Walters feeds on!

As long as we play with passion, Walters will turn it on garuanteed!

The last few weeks Sonny has changed.only this week has his increased efforts been rewarded. And I wanted him dropped 3 weeks ago.

He turned the corner last week with effort. He chased and lead hard and pressured. This week he added some score.
Great to see. He does that we have a forward that needs to be watched again. They can’t just run off him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

+ve's
  • The development of our small forwards is nothing short of incredible. Switta and Schultz are now genuinely elite, Freddy is coming along nicely and Walters looks to be slowly getting back to his best.
  • Rory Lobb is easily putting together his best year for the club. He's giving 100% every contest and would be top 5 in the Doig easily
  • Brayshaw is a more complete player than Walsh, I doubt he'll ever get the plaudits Walsh does or average more disposals but his defensive work for an in/out offensive player is simply ridiculous. Defensive minded mids never get the plaudits of the offensive juggernaughts though.
  • Will Brodie looks like being the best trade in our clubs history fullstop. It's hard to see him dropping off from doing the exact same thing he's doing every week now, and we got him for free. Simply incredible stuff from Bell and Walls.
  • Blake Acres take a bow, I had you being delisted but you've worked your arse off and now firmly best 22.
  • How ******* good are we to watch week in and week out? Yeah, some yuck going forward at times but I can live with that, the ball movement, run and general skills are a delight compared to the last 6 years
  • Challenged in the last and team stood up and said no. This group has complete and total buy in
  • We are playing finals, nothing surer. I'm all in on this team, we are ******* going places.

-ve's
  • I'm not going to outright support him but that intense a match is tough to come straight back into, Tucker looks like Banfield though in that the class and speed of thought just isnt there.
  • That was vomit worthy commentary and I literally want to walk in punch the people in that commentary box. It was blatant barracking for Carlton, monotonous and disgusting. If I'm the club, I'm demanding Paps for all home games, regardless of the timeframe, that was horrific.
snuff.
How did you miss the back 6?
K. Cornes says "best in the comp" but we already knew that.
They broke the Blues tiny hearts yesterday.

Am I correct in saying Pearce was on McKay and Logue had Curnow? Sitting behind the goals it felt like every bounce they lined up against a different player.

Yep, now we have the spread and the forward pressure. There was a sequence last night in our forward 50 where Carlton was trying to get the ball out but our small forwards kept coming in waves to apply the pressure and I thought, there’s a bloke with toe, there’s another one, and and there’s another one. We can really apply a siege mentality to harass their backs to force errors. It’s a great shock-and-awe element of our game.
Our little guys were electric.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back