Autopsy 2022 Rd 6 - Never in it. Blues disappoint in the West.

Who played well for the Blues in Round 6 vs the Dockers?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The people who are concerned at the amount of time Kennedy spends on the bench are going to be positively apoplectic at how much time mirkov would spend there at current fitness/strength levels.
How would you really know about his fitness levels? He was a pro volleyball player before joining us and some people just have a great fitness base. He may not have the strength yet, but he should be reaching over the top of most easily. Like the poster said, VFL is the level below AFL, it’s not that far off it.
Diesel gave him a big wrap at the start of the year, that gives me a bit of faith in him.
Strange people caring about bench time of Kennedy, he seems to be one of our players that they have got up and about finally this year. 30 pos with 65% game time, why would you complain about that!?

What makes me laugh is we will happily kick it to smalls trying from a kick in who is covered yet we hapy bomb it long to a tall and not look for short options going fwd -- this just shows what a cluster F$&@ our ball movement is ..
there is as many kick ins to defend or launch from as centre bounces hope they spend as much time perfecting them this next off season as they have tried with centre clearance
Our backline kicks in are on another level for ugly. Wtf are they doing back there

I'm not sure it's the answer long-term, but I wonder whether Ed Curnow is part of the picture when he returns. He is not the damaging kick we need, but ticks a lot of the other boxes, especially work rate and intensity. Just reckon we need a few more gut runners to give us a release kick rather than the standard long kick down the boundary. While it isn't ideal, Walsh, Docherty and Curnow seem a more competitive option on the wings than Newnes, Setterfield and Cotts. And we would still have Cripps, Kennedy, Cerra and Hewett in the guts.
Now that i see Stocker was playing reserves find it even more amazing that Boyd was picked ahead of him or even Plowman.
Or even better yet they should've made Motlop the sub as we didnt need another defender.

I thought we were well beaten all day and only the usuals contributed. Losing Pitto a huge factor and Harry being hindered. A positive was we fought out the game in the second half five goals to 7 and TDK .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
we were on top again when Darcy went off. Having a good ruckman is the single biggest factor for us atm.

Now that i see Stocker was playing reserves find it even more amazing that Boyd was picked ahead of him or even Plowman.
Or even better yet they should've made Motlop the sub as we didnt need another defender.
Boyd seems to be a very smart player, I reckon he must tear it up at training, hence the coaches backing him in so much. He was also said to be ‘a level above’ in the VFL recently. Some improve when they go up to the next level, and you don’t know until you try them. Stocker missed 12 weeks of preseason/the season. Probably just getting his feel back, reckon he will be back within the next 2 weeks to have a guess

Boyd seems to be a very smart player, I reckon he must tear it up at training, hence the coaches backing him in so much. He was also said to be ‘a level above’ in the VFL recently. Some improve when they go up to the next level, and you don’t know until you try them. Stocker missed 12 weeks of preseason/the season. Probably just getting his feel back, reckon he will be back within the next 2 weeks to have a guess
Didnt look so smart on watching it last night.
Seemed to turn it over and from memory gave away at least one goal.

This is why i stopped following footy.
Might be a goid idea for you

Absolutely. And he was averaged only 18 disposals per match at Sydney so he has massively improved.

Started as a forward, was also used as a defender. Swans had an elite group of mids.

He is tge same player, just getting more midfield minutes
What was he recruited for. Is he a baby?

No, he is still raw and developing, would struggle to run out a qtr, let alone a game

Stocker has an interrupted preseason due to an ankle, not hard to understand given he has always had a low endurance base

How would you really know about his fitness levels? He was a pro volleyball player before joining us and some people just have a great fitness base. He may not have the strength yet, but he should be reaching over the top of most easily. Like the poster said, VFL is the level below AFL, it’s not that far off it.
Diesel gave him a big wrap at the start of the year, that gives me a bit of faith in him.
Strange people caring about bench time of Kennedy, he seems to be one of our players that they have got up and about finally this year. 30 pos with 65% game time, why would you complain about that!?

From what I see in how he runs out quarters/games, he is still building towards having a strong vfl level of fitness/strength…my opinion only of course.

Might be a goid idea for you

Started as a forward, was also used as a defender. Swans had an elite group of mids.

He is tge same player, just getting more midfield minutes

No, he is still raw and developing, would struggle to run out a qtr, let alone a game

Stocker has an interrupted preseason due to an ankle, not hard to understand given he has always had a low endurance base
If he is able to run out VFL games why shouldnt he be able to run out AFL games, unless of course he isnt actually running out the VFL ones?

Was always going to happen. We are not very good. Freo 'still haven't beaten anyone any good'

Pitto was a big out, not sure a game decider but we are f’ed without him.

Walsh....people will quote his numbers but he is having zero impact on the game. ZERO.

Cerra was sold on here as dow with foot skills.....yet to see the foot skills and doesn't do enough. Carlton used already or just another average footballer we targeted?

Williams was recruited as a mid and we sent him back to the backline. Stuffs up a couple of times every game that just makes you think WTF.....s**t free agent target

Weitering has been sib par most of the year. Will win/save is a game bit no where near AA level we expect. Late in the game double first to a Freo player for a goal. Last year would have marked that.

Fisher has not changed since his first season. How does he keep getting picked?

Martin has at least shown something the last 2 weeks. Still doesn't do anywhere near enough and misses important goals but I'll give him a pass the last 2 weeks. Need more though.

Too many passengers. Too many who we know aren't going to improve no matter the coach. Too much deadwood ....too much deadwood in the 22 let alone the whole squad.

Sent from my CPH2005 using Tapatalk
Wow!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Everyone has a bad game here and there, I thought he was okay, not great. At least they are trying someone new. Prefer trying him and Parks (new blood)over players like Newnes for example.

If he is able to run out VFL games why shouldnt he be able to run out AFL games, unless of course he isnt actually running out the VFL ones?

It's a completely inferior level, fitness and skill wise

Once you see him running forward after we gain possession, taking marks and kicking some goals, then his workrate/skillset is at a level to compete at AFL level

Pace of the game requires a vastly improved endurance base. It really is like going from slow motion to fast forward. For a player to return from the injury that Stocker had can take an elite endurance player 4-6 weeks to get back from. When you have a guy like Stocker who's working hard to get to that level you can add an additional few weeks on top of that.

His injury was such that he was safe to play at the VFL level with minimal likelihood that he would recover and they'd make his ability to play at that level a huge tool for his overall recovery.

Simply put, if he was in the AFL team before round 8 he'd be tracking ahead of schedule. This should have been the expectation and I believe it has been internally.

They know how good and important he will be.

He (and Young for that matter) play like they can't believe they're in the seniors. We have to knock that out of them.

Hewett disposals by match: 28, 32, 28, 29, 33, 30.

Not too far off 50% contested rate, yet still running at 84% DE. Incredible.

Now add in 8 clearances and 5 tackles a match.

The guy is getting it done, doing the hard yards AND doing all that cleanly.

I can't get over how amazing his recruitment is.

Loving his output, he’s been such a fantastic pickup, I do wonder though and this doesn’t concern just him, but are we asking our top on ballers to do too much?

Against Freo and Port we are having multiple players go entire quarters not touching the ball, do we need to sacrifice a few of these big numbers to increase the output of our second tier players?

Someone posted that we had something like 5 of the top 8 ball winners last night, yet 5 or 6 of the bottom 8.

Wingers are normally damaging kicks in a chain of play and are two way runners between the arcs who can over lap and spread when needed, providing extra pressure at the stoppage when needed and make a side tick with their intensity and work rate. It’s not even about being overly quick.

Setterfield is none of these things.
Newnes is none of these things.
LOB is some of these things, but isn’t consistent with those things.
Walsh is all of those things.
Docherty could play wing again if Stocker is in.
Carroll seems to have traits.

Bottom line is we need to get 2-3 outside runners with these traits, it’s been a need for a number of years.
Too much of those who are predominantly inside mids. It will help our half backs/back 6 transition the ball better and achieve better movement when it happens.
Couldn't agree any more.
Docherty would be superb defensive wing, and Walsh a superb attacking wing.
Make this change and bring Dow into the centre, allows him to play to his strength in there.
Shifting the magnets like this would make us incrementally better.
Newnes/Setterfield/Cottrell sorry not going to cut it and probably not a part of our next flag so let's move on from that

Back