Geelong - Too old, too slow?

Remove this Banner Ad

Doubtful- everyone went on and on about us because of Geelong obsessions, but it’s actually west coast who hasn’t done anything about it’s list-just a bunch of old players left-the good players-all old. Geelong are going along fine. Future is looking ok.

I’m really trying to understand this. Can you provide some depth to this comment so I can get my head around it? I just don’t see it.

I’m really trying to understand this. Can you provide some depth to this comment so I can get my head around it? I just don’t see it.
We have been contenders for a long time, if we have a few quiet years, I’m not complaining. We will see how our youngsters come along. It will certainly give you all something to continue to obsess over Geelong about. Most opposition supporters have had enough of seeing us thereabouts, and fair enough. It’s been a long run. I’d be sick of seeing us too.
I’ve gone into every season for about 20 years now thinking we are a chance to win the flag and a chance to win most matches. And since 2015-been in 5 prelims and a gf– not too shabby- mostly just lost to better teams. We won a few flags just when I was starting to think I’d never see one. So I’m not bothered if we do end up having few middling years. Let’s see how it goes. I’m quite confident we will regroup and continue to be a terrific footy club. Most supporters should be so lucky.

Last edited:
We have been contenders for a long time if we have a few quiet years, I’m not complaining. We will see how our youngsters come along. It will certainly give you all something to continue to obsess over Geelong about. Most opposition supporters have had enough of seeing us thereabouts, and fair enough. It’s been a long run. I’d be sick of seeing us too.
I’ve gone into every season for about 20 years now thinking we are a chance to win the flag and a chance to win most matches. And since 2015-been in 5 prelims and a gf– not too shabby- mostly just lost to better teams. We won a few flags just when I was starting to think I’d never see one. So I’m not bothered if we do end up having few middling years. Let’s see how it goes. I’m quite confident we will regroup and continue to be a terrific footy club. Most supporters should be so lucky.

I think you’ve misunderstood my question.

How is the future looking ok? That’s all I want to discuss.

And before you go off an a tangent again. Forget all the crap about Geelong obsession and periods of past success etc. I’m a Hawthorn supporter, I’m quite well versed in periods of success and what happens during and after them. I’m not playing who’s got the biggest dick here.

I just want to know, and I’m genuinely interested, in how you think the future, in its current situation, is ok?

I wouldn't worry too much, you'll figure at the pointy end of the season again for sure. That game was a taste of the finals, pressure immense by both sides.

For sure??… I wouldn’t be so confident.
Look real shakey to me.
And Even if they do they ll just get exposed in finals like they do every year.

Some of the looks on the Cat players seemed to suggest more than just disappointment at a close loss, but I'm not ready to call time on them yet.
I'm not getting my usual flack from Cats fans this time, i think they've finally got the message as the writing has been on the wall for some time. Geelong have been on the precipice for a couple of years. The book is closed, they don't have the players to replace the old stalwarts who have finally reached the end. Geelong are headed for a Roos like fall from grace. It's going to be very tough for the rest of the year and i am not looking forward to 2023 at all.
No complaints, Geelong has had a great run these past 15 years, but it will be a while before they are legitimate contenders again. This should please the majority of Big Footy members, their wish has come true.

Their midfield is a massive worry…just too one paced and far too vanilla…guthrie, Selwood, parfitt, Dangerfield, O’Connor, Duncan is an incredibly poor midfield unit. Holmes looks like he will be a very good player but doesn’t have x-factor and won’t be an “elite” midfielder. Other then him, there’s just not much else to get excited about.

As I’ve previously said..whilst guys like higgins, dalhaus, Miers, Kolodjashnij and O’Connor are playing week in week out they simply aren’t going anywhere fast.

And lord help them if Tom Stewart suffers a serious injury…he is an incredible footballer. Their best and most important player by a mile. He’s turned out to be an incredible recruit from their local league. One of the best pick ups in the last decade.

I'm not getting my usual flack from Cats fans this time, i think they've finally got the message as the writing has been on the wall for some time. Geelong have been on the precipice for a couple of years. The book is closed, they don't have the players to replace the old stalwarts who have finally reached the end. Geelong are headed for a Roos like fall from grace. It's going to be very tough for the rest of the year and i am not looking forward to 2023 at all.
No complaints, Geelong has had a great run these past 15 years, but it will be a while before they are legitimate contenders again. This should please the majority of Big Footy members, their wish has come true.
I actually only want to see the back of CScott, it’s personal for us tiger fans with him.

I still reckon the surf coast lifestyle factor can lead to a steady flow of A graders coming in, as long as the outfit looks competent and professional as they always seem to maintain

We have been contenders for a long time if we have a few quiet years, I’m not complaining. We will see how our youngsters come along. It will certainly give you all something to continue to obsess over Geelong about. Most opposition supporters have had enough of seeing us thereabouts, and fair enough. It’s been a long run. I’d be sick of seeing us too.

As a supporter, I can only wish that the Tiges contend for such a long period. What a fantastic 2 decades'ish its been.

Respect & kudos to the club. Other than Scott of course...he can go get himself farked!

I actually only want to see the back of CScott, it’s personal for us tiger fans with him.

I still reckon the surf coast lifestyle factor can lead to a steady flow of A graders coming in, as long as the outfit looks competent and professional as they always seem to maintain

Agree with this. Very appealing and will enable them a leg up in recruiting IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their midfield is a massive worry…just too one paced and far too vanilla…guthrie, Selwood, parfitt, Dangerfield, O’Connor, Duncan is an incredibly poor midfield unit. Holmes looks like he will be a very good player but doesn’t have x-factor and won’t be an “elite” midfielder. Other then him, there’s just not much else to get excited about.

As I’ve previously said..whilst guys like higgins, dalhaus, Miers, Kolodjashnij and O’Connor are playing week in week out they simply aren’t going anywhere fast.

And lord help them if Tom Stewart suffers a serious injury…he is an incredible footballer. Their best and most important player by a mile. He’s turned out to be an incredible recruit from their local league. One of the best pick ups in the last decade.

Exact issue we need to fix as well.

Midfield a bit one paced. Could be the next eagles. Time to lower the age profile. At least a few kids should get a look in in back half of year hopefully.
if this does transpire, do you give C. Scott another 3-4 years to develop a young side from scratch?

Would be the first time he has done it, we actually don't know if he would be good at it or not.

He certainly seems to be terrified of it, but doesn't mean he wouldn't be good at it.

As a supporter, I can only wish that the Tiges contend for such a long period. What a fantastic 2 decades'ish its been.

Respect & kudos to the club. Other than Scott of course...he can go get himself farked!
ROAR! Love the caveat at the end.

Don't think you would get much argument from Geelong fans about this post. Except a little early to decree Holmes at 19 years of age after 19 games won't be an elite midfielder (whatever that means).

Home games in Geelong have been their safety net in recent years, leading to a false economy in reality.
If/when that safety net no longer props them up, they’re on a one way express ticket to hell …
Is it a false economy?
Where would you like to compare? Cats are 8 wins and 2 losses at the MCG in last 10 appearances.... better than GMHBA. It is a football ground, and when the opposition show up and play well they either win or its super close. Cats have been good for 15 years so the record at home is good, so is their away record, fancy that.

Home games in Geelong have been their safety net in recent years, leading to a false economy in reality.
If/when that safety net no longer props them up, they’re on a one way express ticket to hell …

Right.
Where did we play our homes game prior to 'recent years'?
Are we the only team that plays home games?
Are we suddenly going to stop playing at home?
What does 'a false economy in reality' mean?

:rolleyes:

Who are the next lot of a graders moving down there? They already tried with Sam Walsh.

if this does transpire, do you give C. Scott another 3-4 years to develop a young side from scratch?

Would be the first time he has done it, we actually don't know if he would be good at it or not.

He certainly seems to be terrified of it, but doesn't mean he wouldn't be good at it.

Well if you were finishing top 4 most years wouldn’t you still be trying to win a flag?

I mean if they were a middling just making finals side every now and then it’s a bit different, but no point gutting the list until you have to. I mean even if you do it there’s no guarantee you will be back as a top 4 side with the next group that comes through.

They have managed to replenish the list in Scotts time, only 4 remain from 2011 (Hawkins, Selwood, Duncan and cam Guthrie), so it’s a myth he’s just let things roll on.

One could say they were helped getting danger and Cameron, but that’s just smart recruiting isn’t it? They also did well to get Tuohy, hendo provided decent service, Isaac smith still a gun, Ablett good value for a few years etc.

Also struck gold with late picks in Stewart and rookie Menegola.

Never really have resolved the ruck problem they have had, which has probably cost them getting at least one flag between 2013-21.

Is it a false economy?
Where would you like to compare? Cats are 8 wins and 2 losses at the MCG in last 10 appearances.... better than GMHBA. It is a football ground, and when the opposition show up and play well they either win or its super close. Cats have been good for 15 years so the record at home is good, so is their away record, fancy that.

This is what I don’t understand, people seem to think just cos a side has home games they are somehow gifted wins.

Happens whenever a non Vic team is half good too. As we we have seen in recent years with eagles and Adelaide, when a side is crap they don’t win many games anywhere.

Home ground advantage can help a side to a degree but no more than swaying it 60-40, at most. It can’t make a crap side good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back