List Mgmt. 2022 GWS GIANTS List Management (Trade/ Free Agency/ Draft/ Academy)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah he is. He is just a powerful runner. His acceleration is fast but his speed is average.

Pretty similar to hoppers attributes tbh… trac is just a better player in a better system
Jacob Hopper is the closest player we have to Cal Ward - good agility + acceleration, strong inside ability, decent scoreboard impact. I think if he improves his disposal (He has good vision tho) and his uncontested game he can become our version of Petracca. Add in our version of Cripps (Tom Green) and one day hopefully, our version of Robbie Gray (Tim Taranto) in the midfield and we'll be back on the winners list.

Jacob Hopper is the closest player we have to Cal Ward - good agility + acceleration, strong inside ability, decent scoreboard impact. I think if he improves his disposal (He has good vision tho) and his uncontested game he can become our version of Petracca. Add in our version of Cripps (Tom Green) and one day hopefully, our version of Robbie Gray (Tim Taranto) in the midfield and we'll be back on the winners list.
They are above average players performing at an average standard (excusing the injured hopper)

Good to get another signature and not sure on the length but Idun is growing as a player although i dont really rate his disposal as he seems to be more sideways or back but he can be an anchor for the defensive structure in the future

I will add with all the coach talk I can see some players holding off until things are confirmed which may be too late for some

Davis Keep or Keefe
Bruhn Possible trade as uncontracted Or TT
Ward Keep
Taranto Possible trade as uncontracted Or Bruhn
Hogan Keep
De Boer Retire
Keefe Keep or Davis
Fleeton Keep
Briggs Keep May request a trade but hopefully stays
XOH Possible trade as uncontracted If Bruhn/Taranto leave likely to be kept
Hill I want to keep as he has potential but he needs to show more
Kennedy Keep as Depth/reserves if his injuries stay away

+ Rookies

I cant see Brown staying on the list after 4 years he needs to be more than a development player he needs to be solid depth which he isnt showing

Not sold on Shaw as a small forward as he doesnt seem to have the potential to step up but with only 1 year on the list and the shoulder injury he should have another year to show something

Riccardi may request a trade if he doesnt see a opportunity but just my opinion

With a lot of the season left we will get a better idea later in the year so just some thoughts

Interesting to think we could be sitting on pick 1 in the 2022 draft if we had done the proposed trade of pick 15 for the west coast 2022 1st rounder.
Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but it would've been nice to have first dibs on a guy like Lemmey. Hell, I know we're packed to the brim with midfielder but I'd probably still just pick Wardlaw if we had it

Hindsight is 20/20 of course, but it would've been nice to have first dibs on a guy like Lemmey. Hell, I know we're packed to the brim with midfielder but I'd probably still just pick Wardlaw if we had it
Hopefully there is someone good at 18 when we get our first pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hopefully there is someone good at 18 when we get our first pick.
Dream The Impossible Red Carpet GIF by Tony Awards

why would you still pick a midfielder?

Interesting to think we could be sitting on pick 1 in the 2022 draft if we had done the proposed trade of pick 15 for the west coast 2022 1st rounder.

Imagine if we got West Coast’s future 1st!! That would have been another Collingwood fleecing job. Shame.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but had we known Howes would slide we probably would have traded back a little and if we missed Aleer taken a Butler and got Howes.

Trouble is nobody knows for sure what others are doing. I’m rapt they tried to trade up for Gibcus and also glad they took Aleer.

We have addressed a key issue and can sort out small forward and key forward next trade and draft period and have heaps of collateral to use to bring in what we need.

Yes I remember thinking that…they looked the obvious slider with their age profile and injury history of key players.

why would you still pick a midfielder?
Wardlaw is a different beast from what we already have, and works hard defensively which we could do with. Doesn't matter though, at this stage we won't be finishing last

PMBangers, is there anyone that you think would be worthwhile GWS picking up midyear (if we put someone on the LTI list)? We've got an early pick in the MSD, and some longer-term holes in the team. (I think I'm right in believing that we could have taken Leek Aleer in the 2021 MDS and therefore used our national draft pick #15 on someone else. Is there a comparable talent this year that we could nab from the overagers/VFL/SANFL/WAFL in terms of a small forward, KPD or KPF?)

PMBangers, is there anyone that you think would be worthwhile GWS picking up midyear (if we put someone on the LTI list)? We've got an early pick in the MSD, and some longer-term holes in the team. (I think I'm right in believing that we could have taken Leek Aleer in the 2021 MDS and therefore used our national draft pick #15 on someone else. Is there a comparable talent this year that we could nab from the overagers/VFL/SANFL/WAFL in terms of a small forward, KPD or KPF?)
I'm certainly not as enthused about this years MSD crop as last years, outside of Derkson (Peel) and Menzie (South Adelaide) there's not really anyone making a massive case for selection. I like Hugo Hall-Kahan from Sandringham, but he cant even nominate unless given an exemption

I'm certainly not as enthused about this years MSD crop as last years, outside of Derkson (Peel) and Menzie (South Adelaide) there's not really anyone making a massive case for selection. I like Hugo Hall-Kahan from Sandringham, but he cant even nominate unless given an exemption
I know that Connor Stone is now back in action & Binga due shortly, but with Bobby's seeming disinterest, Jye Menzie for 6 months to see what he could bring as a small forward might be a worthwhile investment of time.

I know Wade Derksen has suddenly caught the eye of some draftwatchers - especially those in the west - but what are your deeper thoughts on him? As we saw highlighted on the weekend, Riccardi goes well in VFL, but struggles to bring that into AFL.

I think Stone will add a lot to our forward line when he gets a good run at it.
We definitely can't lose Bobby though...his pace is an absolute headache...I can see him being a really important player soon.
Riccardi is really interesting..too good for VFL...just hadn't clicked at AFL level. I expect we will see him in the team soon when Hogan needs another rest. Kicking 9 certainly helps his case. He certainly had opportunities to solidify his spot...but maybe nerves in front of goal got the better of him Infront of a bigger crowd. He's young...there's time

I think Stone will add a lot to our forward line when he gets a good run at it.
We definitely can't lose Bobby though...his pace is an absolute headache...I can see him being a really important player soon.
Riccardi is really interesting..too good for VFL...just hadn't clicked at AFL level. I expect we will see him in the team soon when Hogan needs another rest. Kicking 9 certainly helps his case. He certainly had opportunities to solidify his spot...but maybe nerves in front of goal got the better of him Infront of a bigger crowd. He's young...there's time
My issue with Bobby is that his workrate is poor and gets to very few contests or just aims for unrealistic speccies every now and then which look great on the rare occasion they work out. When he does have the ball near him on the ground, offensively hes above average but defensively whilst his speed is elite his tackling is bad. Oppositons just walk through his tackles unfortunately, needs stronger upper body.

I know that Connor Stone is now back in action & Binga due shortly, but with Bobby's seeming disinterest, Jye Menzie for 6 months to see what he could bring as a small forward might be a worthwhile investment of time.

I know Wade Derksen has suddenly caught the eye of some draftwatchers - especially those in the west - but what are your deeper thoughts on him? As we saw highlighted on the weekend, Riccardi goes well in VFL, but struggles to bring that into AFL.
I haven't really watched him much outside of some highlights, but his rise somewhat reminds me of Edwards last year, had a big growth spurt between 16 and 18 but has still held onto some of the football craft you'd expect to see in smaller prospects like good agility and ground level work.

Menzie is interesting, I'm not sure he'd be much different to Hill in the defensive side of stuff, and he hasn't got Hills speed or skills either, but with Ginnivan tearing it up at the moment as a guy that doesn't have heaps of speed it certainly says something about those types translating

I haven't really watched him much outside of some highlights, but his rise somewhat reminds me of Edwards last year, had a big growth spurt between 16 and 18 but has still held onto some of the football craft you'd expect to see in smaller prospects like good agility and ground level work.

Menzie is interesting, I'm not sure he'd be much different to Hill in the defensive side of stuff, and he hasn't got Hills speed or skills either, but with Ginnivan tearing it up at the moment as a guy that doesn't have heaps of speed it certainly says something about those types translating
With Bobby (on the negative side, & perhaps Ginnivan on the positive side) it seems more about attitude than skills.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back