Player Watch Jack Ginnivan (Traded to P&W 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was disgusting - could have damaged every ligament in his arm
Imagine if someone grab one of your kids’ / friends’ arm like that. Twisted and lift up behind his back
Should get more weeks than an accidental high bump
Play football
When I 1st saw it I thought he did that so he could get done for Holding the Ball/Incorrect Disposal

He must be a chance at taking out the NAB rising star award if he keeps up his consistent form of scoring goals and influencing games.
He has been awesome but this is a cracking rising star field.

Newcombe will win it if he maintains his form. He has probably been Hawthorns best player this year.

Daics, De koning, Martin would all be ahead of Ginni

I agree. The only thing I'd like to see do is put a bit more effort into his defensive game. The effort he puts in to get to the ball offensively is a fair bit more than when he's chasing. Minor criticism, I otherwise love everything he's bringing.
You can't excel at both and a forward should be focused more on kicking goals than running defensive patterns.

You can't excel at both and a forward should be focused more on kicking goals than running defensive patterns.
I'm not talking about running defensive patterns, I'm talking about when a player is 2-3m away with the ball, doing more than a slow jog to chase. An attacking mindset comes natural to him and he's bloody good at it, his defensive effort needs some work. It will come in time.

I'm not talking about running defensive patterns, I'm talking about when a player is 2-3m away with the ball, doing more than a slow jog to chase. An attacking mindset comes natural to him and he's bloody good at it, his defensive effort needs some work. It will come in time.
I've no problem with defensive work but NOT when it stops him from presenting, especially close to goal.

For every defensive forward movement you have one less attacking option if a turnover is won.

This is a hobby horse of mine - games are WON far more often than they are SAVED.

Kicking goals wins games so any option that leads him too far away from goal scoring range is an option that weakens our attacking options.

So by all means contest the ball and any opposition player trying to break free from the goal front.

BUT.

Don't be dragged up the ground - this is what the midfielders role is.

He has been awesome but this is a cracking rising star field.

Newcombe will win it if he maintains his form. He has probably been Hawthorns best player this year.

Daics, De koning, Martin would all be ahead of Ginni
Probably right, but Ginnivan has been up there in terms of one of the the best at his role. He's the only one of them who would be moderately close to the AA short list of 40.

Last edited:
I’m disgusted at the attitude of opposition fans and players towards our boy.
He shows a bit of confidence and flair, suddenly he’s public enemy number 1.
I hope that gutless Freo player gets six weeks!!!

Yes the scumbag fans are despicable but lets not forget the creep from Adelaide that started it all - If I were the young man or his parents I would be moving heaven and earth to obtain copies of articles clearly showing the inciteful bile and if young Jack got badly injured in a spiteful manner I would be suing his fat rrrrrs into the middle of the next galaxy.

I've no problem with defensive work but NOT when it stops him from presenting, especially close to goal.

For every defensive forward movement you have one less attacking option if a turnover is won.

This is a hobby horse of mine - games are WON far more often than they are SAVED.

Kicking goals wins games so any option that leads him too far away from goal scoring range is an option that weakens our attacking options.

So by all means contest the ball and any opposition player trying to break free from the goal front.

BUT.

Don't be dragged up the ground - this is what the midfielders role is.
What he said has absolutely nothing to do with being dragged up the ground. Do you even read things before you start shouting at the clouds?

In regards to his defensive efforts. I dont think he is too far off the mark. I think he relies on positioning and anticipation as he doesn't have the explosive leg speed of Beau to chase ( i might be wrong?)

Can remember a few times he does drift down and give a chop out in the D50 if required.

Im loving his game. Kid should have the license to shoot anywhere inside 50 if he has the time to. Easily our best kick for goal already

Ginni, Checkers/Elliott , all a fair bet inside 50

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its bizarre isnt it, i havent seen a player become the target of dirty tactics so regularly.

Selwood, Richmond , Freo. Assuming he gives a fair bit of lip on the field and it results to this. Bigger fool the opposition if they are that fragile minded

Its bizarre isnt it, i havent seen a player become the target of dirty tactics so regularly.

Selwood, Richmond , Freo. Assuming he gives a fair bit of lip on the field and it results to this. Bigger fool the opposition if they are that fragile minded

I'm half expecting Matthew Scarlett to soon come out of retirement and punch him in the face.

In regards to his defensive efforts. I dont think he is too far off the mark. I think he relies on positioning and anticipation as he doesn't have the explosive leg speed of Beau to chase ( i might be wrong?)

Can remember a few times he does drift down and give a chop out in the D50 if required.

Im loving his game. Kid should have the license to shoot anywhere inside 50 if he has the time to. Easily our best kick for goal already

Ginni, Checkers/Elliott , all a fair bet inside 50
He's fantastic - pace is the only chink in his game.

He's fantastic - pace is the only chink in his game.

yeah, if he had pace he would not have been left to the rookie draft i guess. I must admit i was a bit dubious that his head ducking was his best trick but he has shown a lot more than that this season. Clever forward who gets to the right spots and great kick. Reminds me a bit of early Daniel Menzel from Geelong, hopefully without all the injury worries. Really gives us something different up forward

yeah, if he had pace he would not have been left to the rookie draft i guess. I must admit i was a bit dubious that his head ducking was his best trick but he has shown a lot more than that this season. Clever forward who gets to the right spots and great kick. Reminds me a bit of early Daniel Menzel from Geelong, hopefully without all the injury worries. Really gives us something different up forward
His high frees are a really good sign in that they are the product of outstanding awareness and timing.

He is mid paced to my eye, has it when he needs it but not elite area of his game.

Think people are over blowing his lack of it bit pendles like in his ability to creat time and space. He also has the added ability , should he meet a faster opponent, he has Joel Selwoods trick bag at his disposal.

Always good to see a player with “bums on seats” appeal.
As this year the crowds are down, we need players like him to attract people back to the game.
Let us hope that the AFL don’t see him as a bad thing for the game. Because as crowd numbers 2022 are showing, the public are bored with the “stand, stand” version of AFL.

"Tribunal reasoning:

We consider the way in which Switkowski maneuvered Ginnivan's arm ... was intentional, unsportsmanlike and dangerous.

It clearly had the potential to cause injury and significant injury ... it was surprising no injury resulted.

This was not just an act of misconduct, but admitted to be an act of serious misconduct. In our view, the appropriate sanction is a two-week suspension.

In the absence of a comprehensive guilty plea, the sanction would have been higher"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back