Player Watch #31: Josh Goater - re-signed until the end of 2025 - ruptured Achilles injury vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

For real though how many mids we gonna have
I’m happy for as many players to be capable of doing so even for a short burst if things aren’t working

Yep. Big argument for a rethink of the whole system - do we go back to a full reserves comp? Do we build on the current setup? I don't know but reserve teams should be able to field a full team week in week out with a handful of AFL fringe players as top ops so these players can learn and build in a proper framework. I think it does come down to money though, like many issues in the AFL it is fundamentally about list sizes. I think these have been too small for years (reduced more during COVID) and need to be expanded for healthier development as well as better product (less need to develop every single 18 year old in the 1's).

The main problem is a list of 44-46 pre covid with 36-38 senior players, 4-6 cat A rookies and 0-2 cat B rookies, you could theoretically field a reserve side if you had 6 KPP, 6 KPD 2-4 ruckmen and exactly duplicated players of all the roles you had and never had any injuries.

Obviously, that isn't going to happen.

I think what they should do is get rid of rookies altogether and the mid season draft and have 40 player primary list and a 40 player secondary list which you use for a reserve grade team and any time you have an LTI you can elevate someone from your secondary list to the primary list until they are ready to play again and they are treated like academy players in the draft where you get the right to match a bid with a discount.

So we would basically morph the rookies into the reserve grade player list and expand it out to 40 and it would just be a reserve grade outside of the VFL. I think the VFL should be solely a suburban league where clubs are playing to win, not just an extension of the schoolboy system.

If the AFL returned all broadcasting revenue to the clubs, every club would have scope to do more for player development, have more resources to spend on development in the club, improve player salaries... the AFL retain too much money and piss it up against the wall.

We don't rest players as much as we should, because we don't have the capacity to, it is the main reason we get so many serious injuries, because we send people with minor injuries or niggles to play games because they can get through it, we do it because lists are too small. We have in recent times struggled to field a fit team.

Has to polish up his decision making under pressure, but very good game again on the weekend. If he continues on this trajectory, it's hard to see him not getting a game or two in the seniors before the season's up.
Soup is HB his go? Or do you think mid?

Soup is HB his go? Or do you think mid?

I like his potential as a big bodied, explosive, midfielder, but he did show a lot last year when he played off the back flank for Calder, and he has shown quite a bit of talent as an interceptor in the VFL this year.

It seems like we're trying to develop him into a defender, which I'm fine with, but I personally think he's a midfielder first and most naturally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like his potential as a big bodied, explosive, midfielder, but he did show a lot last year when he played off the back flank for Calder, and he has shown quite a bit of talent as an interceptor in the VFL this year.

It seems like we're trying to develop him into a defender, which I'm fine with, but I personally think he's a midfielder first and most naturally.
He wont forget his natural game. A lot of mids start off half back, half backs are pretty much midfielders these days. Im fairly impressed with his highlight package. Thing is I didn’t see the lowlights package.

Plus, other than hall who hasn’t got a heap left, we have absolutely nothing off half back.

He wont forget his natural game. A lot of mids start off half back, half backs are pretty much midfielders these days. Im fairly impressed with his highlight package. Thing is I didn’t see the lowlights package.

Plus, other than hall who hasn’t got a heap left, we have absolutely nothing off half back.
Would love to see TT play a string of games there before the year is out.

That first mark and disposal is a classic example of the difference between VFL & AFL umpiring - that would have been a (unnecessary IMO) 50m penalty against the Bullants.

That first mark and disposal is a classic example of the difference between VFL & AFL umpiring - that would have been a (unnecessary IMO) 50m penalty against the Bullants.
And in a situation like that, the 50 could have been a negative in terms of advantage or benefit. The "intrusion into the protected area" penalty of 50 metres is an abomonation of a rule that could have been OK if it was more carefully thought out such as to penalise interference or blocking. But in typical half arsed AFL fashion, they created a stupid rule that degraded the entertainment value of the game.

Do you think players should be played in their natural position or where they are more likely to get games in the afl

His stats look good but the highlights were neither nor there re informing his development.

Would like to see/hear more of his run and carry. Clunking the odd defensive mark as a tweener is something Lachie Young already does.

This is only in relation to Goater's exposed AFL listed form so far. I rate his talent and potential from U18 footage.

Putting aside this past fortnight, if he can get his head/heart in the right place, I think he’d pretty damaging off half back.
Nope! I wanna slap the campaigner. I dont know how to drag a quote to the appropriate thread. TT disrespected our club like no other since Wayne. Not on the same level accepted, he has disrespected the jumper, that he’s only there for money? *in, trade the dog

Remove this Banner Ad

Back