Review Crows vs NM: The Good, the bad and ... the stultifyingly DULL.

Who played well against North Melbourne?

• Sam Berry

• Jordon Butts

• Jordan Dawson

• Tom Doedee

• Darcy Fogarty

• Will Hamill

• Jackson Hately

• Mitch Hinge

• Chayce Jones (sub)

• Ben Keays

• Rory Laird

• Shane McAdam

• Ned McHenry

• Wayne Milera

• Nick Murray

• Reilly O'Brien

• Patrick Parnell

• Josh Rachele

• James Rowe

• Harry Schoenberg

• Brodie Smith

• Jake Soligo

• Taylor Walker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Good:
  • Fog with 20 disposals!!! Plus 4 goals and 10 score involvements
  • Walker and Fog with 10 goals combined.
  • A win. Even if it is against the worst team in the competition
  • Dawson as usual
  • Murray had to play backup ruck in some areas, was thrown into the centre at other times and ended up with 3 hitouts and 2 clearances. Good game by him
  • Midfield mix was better
  • Soligo has already overtaken McHenry in that forward/midfield role (Good for Soligo, bad for McHenry)
  • Jones did well with limited time
  • Crows did well with their tackling today, with Berry, Laird and Schoenberg leading the way (+27 for the team)

Bad
  • Rachele. Nothing went his way and even the look on his face of disappointment when ROB marked that ball in the forward line, seemed pretty selfish.
  • Parnell lack of strength showed. He had one really good play where he used his speed to evade, but other than that, not much else. Hopefully he's not dropped for Brown, but I can see it happening soon enough.

Ugly
  • Another head knock for Hamill
  • McAdams ankle injury late in the game. He was playing frustrated all game anyway, but disappointing way to end, especially on the back of some really good games since returning to the side
  • Tarryn Thomas

Afterthoughts ...
The mids worked better together without Crouch there (although Crouch starred in the SANFL yesterday vs South), but their delivery forward especially still needs work.

Fog's mark was also a thing of beauty; great that he converted, too.

Noble's gonna be gone, soon, I reckon.
I just went thru the score stats:
  • our highest score today for nearly 3 years!
  • first time we’ve scored more than 110 points since the pandemic had started.
  • the last highest score was in July against the Suns back in 2019 (we scored 151 that day).

So refreshing to see our mids and forwards being more in sync!

I just went thru the score stats:
  • our highest score today for nearly 3 years!
  • first time we’ve scored more than 110 points since the pandemic had started.
  • the last highest score was in July against the Suns back in 2019 (we scored 151 that day).

So refreshing to see our mids and forwards being more in sync!
wow, that's depressing

Agree with a previous poster that there was some good signs for Shoenberg. Took the ball at pace a few times and started creating as the game went on. We need to recognise players like him who clearly have talent to be good AFL footballers, back them in and make sure they know they won't be dropped for one bad game or mistake.

There were two players. One hadn't passed the concussion protocols.

There's zero ambiguity and everyone at the club should have known to prevent this.
Nah, on this occassion the Crows actually asked the AFL match scrutiners that were there if it was ok, given Will had been subbed out and wouldnt be returning, if Will could give his parents a quick phone call and let em kniw he was ok..

Who cares, we played like a team that’s rebuilding and gaining something from the win. What more do you actually expect?
North are like Crows 2020 levels of bad, maybe even worse. They aren't AFL standard atm. I enjoyed the win but I'm not going to read too much into it.

Good

Tex & Fog. Yes they can play together and it can be glorious.

Midfield balance felt better. As someone else posted Shoenberg has only 13 touches but the same impact as 31 ring around a rosie handpasses from Mcrouch.

Murray was intriguing in the middle as an undersized ruck. Keen to try this again.

Butts is solid as always. His disposal has improved immensely.

Jones is a super sub. Always has an impact when he comes on. He has to bottle whatever it is that makes him a good sub and use it when he starts. I would play him next week.

Soligo does some nice things. Not huge numbers but gets involved and isn't bullied off the ball.

Dawson. Without an in-form Doedee Hinge and Smith, he must play back. Also, I'm not convinced he would find the ball so easy off a wing. He was quiet until we swapped him and Hinge.

Bad/Ugly

Mchenry has another stinker. Beaten by a first gamer. Not big enough, ragdolled constantly and can't kick more than 30 metres. I can't see a long term future for him.

Doedee/Smith/Hinge all were poor. Hinge in particular had a hand in most of Norths early goals which led to him and Dawson being swapped. Doedee had another poor game and it appears Smith is near the end.

Rob does some really dumb things around the ground. Spoils teammates, goes in to win the ball instead of shepparding. He Improves the game goes on but we seriously need to recruit/trade in some more competition and strip him from the leadership group ASAP.

Rachele quiet again. Not sure what the problem is. Maybe we can try him off a wing to get him involved or on the ball?

Rowe got a couple in junk time but I just feel like he doesn't do enough. Plays further up the ground to rack up some cheapies and uses it generally okay but he doesn't win his own all or defend well. Maybe suffers from having too many smaller forwards/half forwards in the side. I'm think his ceiling is fairly low.

Injuries to Mcadam and Hamill. Hamill in particular. Life comes first and hopefully he is okay. He was pretty good up until the knock as well.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North are like Crows 2020 levels of bad, maybe even worse. They aren't AFL standard atm. I enjoyed the win but I'm not going to read too much into it.
We won by nearly 10 goals, winning away, against some biased umpiring. Our 2 tall forwards kicked 10 goals between them. This is like every Crows fans wet dream in 2022.

Good

Tex & Fog. Yes they can play together and it can be glorious.

Midfield balance felt better. As someone else posted Shoenberg has only 13 touches but the same impact as 31 ring around a rosie handpasses from Mcrouch.

Murray was intriguing in the middle as an undersized ruck. Keen to try this again.

Butts is solid as always. His disposal has improved immensely.

Jones is a super sub. Always has an impact when he comes on. He has to bottle whatever it is that makes him a good sub and use it when he starts. I would play him next week.

Soligo does some nice things. Not huge numbers but gets involved and isn't bullied off the ball.

Dawson. Without an inform Doedee Hinge and Smith, he must play back. Also, I'm not convinced he would find the ball so easy off a wing. He was quiet until we swapped him and Hinge.

Bad/Ugly

Mchenry has another stinker. Beaten by a first gamer. Not big enough and is ragdolled and can't kick more than 30 metres. I can't see a long term future for him.

Doedee/Smith/Hinge all were poor. Hinge in particular had a hand in most of Norths early goals which led to him and Dawson being swapped. Doedee had another poor game and it appears Smith is near the end.

Rob does some really dumb things around the ground. Spoils teammates, goes in to win the ball instead of shepparding. He Improves the game goes on but we seriously need to recruit/trade in some more competition and strip him from the leadership group ASAP.

Rachele quiet again. Not sure what the problem is. Maybe we can try him off a wing to get him involved or on the ball?

Rowe got a couple in junk time but I just feel like he doesn't do enough. Plays further up the ground to rack up some cheapies and uses it generally okay but he doesn't win his own all or defend well. Maybe suffers from having too many smaller forwards/half forwards in the side. I'm think his ceiling is fairly low.

Injuries to Mcadam and Hamill. Hamill in particular. Life comes first and hopefully he is okay. He was pretty good up until the knock qs well.

I don't think there is a genuine problem there. Probably a mix of a long season and other teams are putting more work into stopping Rachele.

We never let them back into the game.

An improvement over the WCE game where we did.

Back