Preview R18: Changes v Collingwood @ AO

Remove this Banner Ad

I get the structure of having one defensive forward, especially when we’re rebuilding, even if they’re a scrappy skill-free scrubber.

But we don’t bloody need both McHenry and Murphy in the front 50 actively not kicking goals.

Cook is a no-brainer.
The problem is the defensive forwards need to have absolute speed otherwise they aren’t putting on much pressure

So ours end up not being good at pressure and certainly aren’t good offensively

I can understand Rowe not being good defensively as he never was but I’m surprised he’s not kicking more goals , can’t really see a future for him

The others have minimal offence and substandard pressure skills , McHenry st least tries to tackle / pressure but he’s just a player

I get the structure of having one defensive forward, especially when we’re rebuilding, even if they’re a scrappy skill-free scrubber.

But we don’t bloody need both McHenry and Murphy in the front 50 actively not kicking goals.

Cook is a no-brainer.

McHenry actively gets to the ball second to tackle instead of take possession. It’s bizarre.

He'll be our next midfield Coach. Hoorah!

Clubs and coaches are never going to come out and say mid year he is done or no longer part of our plans. Media would then go berserk over the statement and there would be immense pressure created.
Most comments made are platitudes to shut the media up and keep supporters believing

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Why the hell if you are doing a rebuild would you pick a 23yo who has played 70 games in his career who has showed no improvement and played 11 games in 2022 as a small forward and only kicked 2 goals.
It just defies, logic. You know what you are going to get. The other fringe players must wonder why he keeps getting picked.

Looks to be Soligo to me, you can see him jogging back the other way after the free.

Regardless of who it is, they should have been the next link in the chain.
This was bizarre. Firstly to not give to Soligo who had a paddock in front of him i50 (I wouldn't call Smith selfish), then to not have any awareness. Surely someone was telling him he was hot? You rarely see this happen especially with limited noise from the crowd.

We're *ed. The club is run by donkeys.

have to laugh about crouch getting dropped. How did they not know what he was going to bring to the table? He provided exactly what everyone knew he would, a heap of largely useless possessions. What were they expecting when they selected him again, will we revisiting their patheticness and/or stupidity in a couple of weeks after back to back 40 touch games? This above many other examples is proof that we're not rebuilding and we have absolutely no plan outside of this weekend's 4 points.

Cook is a no-brainer.

You're ignoring the value of McHenry, running around like an unregistered dog. The way he runs from contest to contest, late to every single one of them. You can't put a price on what that brings to the side.

Pick 16, under 6ft, not that fast, and no ******* idea how to play the game, gifted 43 games in 3 seasons so far. He is the Adelaide Crows. He'll play 200 games. He'll get the best team man award at least 3 times.

Ya put yer Matt Crouch in,
Ya put yer Matt Crouch out,
Ya put yer Matt Crouch in
And ya boot him straight back out

Ya put yer Hately on the wing
Ya put yer Hately in the guts
Ya put yer Hately on the wing
Then you shake him all about

You do the ring a rosey
And you do it all again.
That's what the AFC's about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is how cooked we are. I’d prefer Crouch in over Murphy.

Of course the ultimate preference is neither, but I’d take Crouch on a HFF before I’d play Murphy.

Crouch is terrible but he has an ability to find the ball. I mean virtually nothing else but he has that.

What skills does Murphy have at the highest level?

Nicks and his love affair with Murphy...it's starting to become clear why Port kept picking Sam Gray and Jake Neade every week now.

With the commentary made by someone regarding the disbelief that they have seen from some senior players flummoxed that Matt Crouch has been dropped again, it highlights to me everything that is wrong with this football club.

It starts with the selection policy to young players.

Message to young players:
Do your time, earn your stripes, focus on your deficiencies, ensure you have a consistent output at SANFL level and only then will you be considered for regular AFL selection.

Message to players who have completed the above and are still good enough to be on the list:
You've done your time, you've earnt a spot in the side, and it will take a monumental utensil up to remove you from the first 22.

So when a 'senior' player is dropped again, it goes against the grain and no one can explain it and resentment builds as this goes against the Club imposed Culture that has been developed, and causes sense of entitlement. Rinse. Repeat.

When a team is rebuilding, you pick your best 15-18 (when available) and then top up the talented kids to see if they sit in the top half of the lit, and have a future. The 15-18 regulars are picked either as the best players available, and if injuries occur, you make up that number with the list cloggers and depth players (e.g. Murphy, McHenry etc.)

We are cooked.

And I hate to say it, as I had high hopes for Nicks, but this lies with him. If other factors are influencing his decisions then he is not the man. If he is making the decisions, then he is not the man. Simple.

I preface this by saying, that we can only comment based on the output from the weekend's games. Nicks' judgement may be clouded by what is happening on the track (as i suspect is the case) and this only carries so far, until the view on the track doesn't equal results on game day. I suspect we are in this position now.

F*ck it, I'm having another Sparkling Ale.

I don't remember seeing the supporters on Facebook so angry. Even the apricot slicers are getting stuck in. Last time it was that hostile was back in 2020 when we picked Atkins.

With the commentary made by someone regarding the disbelief that they have seen from some senior players flummoxed that Matt Crouch has been dropped again, it highlights to me everything that is wrong with this football club.

It starts with the selection policy to young players.

Message to young players:
Do your time, earn your stripes, focus on your deficiencies, ensure you have a consistent output at SANFL level and only then will you be considered for regular AFL selection.

Message to players who have completed the above and are still good enough to be on the list:
You've done your time, you've earnt a spot in the side, and it will take a monumental utensil up to remove you from the first 22.

So when a 'senior' player is dropped again, it goes against the grain and no one can explain it and resentment builds as this goes against the Club imposed Culture that has been developed, and causes sense of entitlement. Rinse. Repeat.

When a team is rebuilding, you pick your best 15-18 (when available) and then top up the talented kids to see if they sit in the top half of the lit, and have a future. The 15-18 regulars are picked either as the best players available, and if injuries occur, you make up that number with the list cloggers and depth players (e.g. Murphy, McHenry etc.)

We are cooked.

And I hate to say it, as I had high hopes for Nicks, but this lies with him. If other factors are influencing his decisions then he is not the man. If he is making the decisions, then he is not the man. Simple.

I preface this by saying, that we can only comment based on the output from the weekend's games. Nicks' judgement may be clouded by what is happening on the track (as i suspect is the case) and this only carries so far, until the view on the track doesn't equal results on game day. I suspect we are in this position now.

F*ck it, I'm having another Sparkling Ale.
Funny, I just posted this in the best 22 thread - basically saying the same thing:

at the moment it’s not about a best 22, it’s about deprioritising those that definitely aren’t and giving those that might be a decent chunk of games to find out.

we‘re doing none of this.

And I hate to say it, as I had high hopes for Nicks, but this lies with him. If other factors are influencing his decisions then he is not the man. If he is making the decisions, then he is not the man.
Oh, so much THIS.
When he had that presser to explain Crouch's situation I thought: "He's lost it".

Edit afterthought: I could handle the losses if Nicks had a clear plan or policies that made sense and he stuck with them, but consistently leaving out young talent for underperforming seniors and the revolving-door policy on Crouch are ridiculous.
Then, when a Coach has got senior players griping about one of their own being dropped (as well as confused juniors who must feel resentful about being omitted), his days are numbered.

Last edited:
I’m going to watch game live for first time ever. Could only get a big number of seats together right up the back for my crew. Perhaps we will stay dry though if it rains.
I’m not expecting the W but I am looking forward to seeing the likes of McAdam, Thilthorpe, Berry, Soligo, Fog and Dawson.
It will also be interesting to see players positioning themselves around the ground that the cameras don’t show much of on TV.
Very much looking forward to it, despite all the sour grapes here over team selection.

It's not just Matthew Nicks that selects spuds

Don Pyke was wedded to s**t players and made the grand final. Atkins (101 total games for the Crows), Knight (55), and Kelly (110) all played significant game time despite better players available in the reserves. Maybe we would have gone the whole way if he didn't put as much faith into highly limited players with glaring flaws

Brenton Sanderson loved guys like Petrenko (76 games), Wright (94) and even Brodie Martin (38)

Then before that we had oodles of Neil Craig specials.

All of these coaches gave mountains of games to very average players like Mackay (248 games, top 10 for the club), Van Berlo (205, captain) and Reilly (203)

We've gifted unearned games to Jacobs, Thompson, Douglas, Crouch and many more just in recent years.

We've pumped games into players we immediately got rid of on purpose, such as Lyons (20 games in the year we pushed him out), Greenwood (14), Keath (18), Kelly (20), Hartigan (12), Betts (21), Lynch (12). Why on earth you'd pump these sorts of numbers into players you have no intention of re-signing in a year you're not making the finals, I'll never know

We've spent first round picks on players to never play them in their drafted junior position (Gallucci, McHenry, Pedlar and mostly Jones). Not just playing them out of position for a few years. I'm talking: never ever played in position.

Our selections have been diabolical for a decade.

I mean we're talking about a club that so far has gifted Murphy 70 games and of course we're seeing justified melts over it. But is anyone surprised? We gifted David Mackay nearly TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY games, he's in the top 10 all time most games played at our club!

It's ingrained in our culture, the fabric of this club. It wasn't when we won our premierships. But it is now

Remove this Banner Ad

Back