AFL Toast Round 18 - Gold Coast Sent Packing

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the 2 ruck set up, with 1 resting in the fwd line. Draps and Phillips were both dangerous down there. Hobbs game after that big collision was great. The Elf solid again. It’s our ‘bottom 8’ players that are going to make this team, we had input from everyone today!

Kind of odd game but fun to watch. Marvel was dead for the most part (except for when Draper was Draper things) but that's to be expected at this stage of the season.

Backline was brilliant (Zerk's effort at the end of the 3rd superb), midfield worked well with Shiel and Merrett all game and Hobbs in the last. Wright worked his arse off all day

310 effective disposals vs 139.
60 to 45 inside 50s.
52% to 32% of game time in possession of the pill.
19 to 6 marks inside 50.
16 to 11 tackles inside 50.

Absolute spanking.

On top of that:
27 to 17 frees.

We got the rub of the green.

If anything Essendon was very wasteful trying to play globetrotter footy today.

I'm not sure if that is getting in the way of making the most of our opportunities or if the joy of playing like that is what is inspiring the boys to play all game.

However, I have a theory of winning games in the back end of the year. As teams get runs on the board early in the year opposition put research and planning into stopping them. Less of those resources are spent on teams that are going crap. This is why we can win so many games. We're allowed to just play.

Same for Collingwood. They have been beating teams above them because they're not planning for them. However, teams below them plan for them. This is why they've struggled against North and Adelaide.

Beat a team that is hunting you and planning for you, then I'm impressed.

Bombers need to get wins on the board early next year to see if they can stand up against teams that are hunting them in the back half of the year. I'm guessing next year they'll struggle with that. But it is important to try to work through that next year so we can cope with it the following year.

You know I should be happy but instead I'm frustrated. Where was this when it actually mattered? Once again the same things are happening again, we do nothing for 2/3rd's of the game/season, get a run on towards the end and we learn NOTHING! Then we gather up all our hope that maybe, just MAYBE next season will be the year we get. JUST FOR DODORO TO * IT UP AGAIN!

We are the AFL's definition of Insanity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You know I should be happy but instead I'm frustrated. Where was this when it actually mattered? Once again the same things are happening again, we do nothing for 2/3rd's of the game/season, get a run on towards the end and we learn NOTHING! Then we gather up all our hope that maybe, just MAYBE next season will be the year we get. JUST FOR DODORO TO * IT UP AGAIN!

Agreed which is why it's hard to get that up and about for our textbook late season wins. But honestly, I'm happy to put it all behind us and focus on next year.

We need to start 2023 like we're playing currently. Consistent effort all year, no 2-10, no 30 tackle games and no turning up when the season is over and the pressure is off.

No more excuses from the club and the apologists. We are clearly capable of being a competitive team. I want to see a full season of it. There is no reason why we can't.

This will all be for nothing if we are 0-4 going into ANZAC Day next year, I agree.

But, I believe this side has the makings of being a Top 6 side. Hell, it was only 18 games ago where we were talked about knocking off the eventual Grand Finalists in an EF.

The back six is looking settled. Our midfield is building. Our forward line still needs some work, but it’s getting there.

We will go into next season not getting looked at. Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond will all be the fancies of the media.

We took the absolute piss at times - was great to see. Game was over at half time, Gold Coast made it pretty boring to watch with the worst flooding since Lismore. Lucky Drapes bought the showtime

It’s a conundrum, we are that team that throws a few meaningless wins together at the end of the season and heckup our draft position. On the other hand winning beats losing. Haha, what a club ! I can see what we’re building here, 2024 is going to be the big crack at it.

Worth listening to in particular his comments around D’Ambrosio playing in the VFL and exploring his skill set and whether he could play forward a bit while managing the recovery of the corkie. (He wasn’t explicit but it is getting to the end of the year and there will be list planning for the trade/draft period going on so if we’ve already got small forwards with MA’D and Menzie maybe we don’t prioritise that type as much as we otherwise might have.)

Also some bits about Hurley and his role in the group through his injury, coaching the VFL side and whether he might play senior footy later this year [taking it slow etc].

Was also asked to explain Draper’s goal which he couldn’t, didn’t think even Draper knew what Draper was doing, but it’s great for the players and the fans everyone feeds off his energy and they certainly don’t want to discourage him. Also said he’s still only played 30-35 games, played hardly any footy as a kid, and so is still learning the nuances of the game. He’s not yet what he might be when he’s fully developed as a player.

It’s a conundrum, we are that team that throws a few meaningless wins together at the end of the season and *up our draft position. On the other hand winning beats losing. Haha, what a club ! I can see what we’re building here, 2024 is going to be the big crack at it.
Yeah it’s pretty mixed feelings. Absolutely love the win, love what they managed to put together, loved watching it (and would even as a neutral too, was actually decently good skill level and momentum swings), but at the same time I don’t trust that this will last, because it never does.

We don’t have the depth to do it for a full season, as soon as injuries hit there are problems. We haven’t started a season well for ages, it’s always the late, almost meaningless run of form that does nothing for us except sell the memberships and retain players for the following year.

You kind of hope it builds culture but I don’t know what happens in the preseason, whatever progress is made always seems to be undone.

The cynic in me thinks this good form is due to

1. The season being nearly over and the players want contracts
2. The players don't want Clarko or think a few wins will impress him

But this is what happens when a few players return from injury.

The cynic in me thinks this good form is due to

1. The season being nearly over and the players want contracts
2. The players don't want Clarko or think a few wins will impress him

But this is what happens when a few players return from injury.
Langford said it last week - Rutten has altered the game plan.

Definitely seems to be more 1-1 rather than a zone. Some key position changes and roles helps too. Kelly taking the lockdown role. Heppell being moved more to the wing. Caldwell having an accountable role on the oppositions strongest mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back