Opinion Top 50 my life

Remove this Banner Ad

God, there are some morons on here, read the title it clearly says "my life", maybe he didn't watch enough of Dunstall or Carey to include them in his PERSONAL top 50 list, doesn't mean they wouldn't be in the top 10 or top 5 if the AFL released a list. OP never once said that his list should be taken as gospel, this isn't a decisive 100% correct list posted by the AFL, it's by someone trying to have a bit of fun with other footy followers.

I was born in 98, before I could even comprehend the game of football and tell who was good or bad the likes of Dunstall, Locket, Carey, and Ablett had all retired.

Fair point.

If it was a finals only list, I’d assume he’d have to be number 1 on anyones list.

You’d hope so, I don’t have that much faith tbh I know PB doesn’t agree. Probably doesn’t even have him in the top 20.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

9th most Brownlow votes in the history of the game. Higher votes per game average than Selwood and Pendlebury. Not good enough for you? What else does he need to achieve to change your mind.

Btw I don’t think Selwood or Pendlebury have ever been considered the best play in the comp. No way near as good or consistent in finals either, didn’t even wins Brownlows. But that doesn’t matter I guess.

Ok btw Royce only played 187 games. But yeah played better for far longer lol.

Didn't say anything about how many games Royce played. Royce should be in the conversation for being as great as Carey. Yes and Dangerfield and Fyfe have a higher vote average than Martin. Does that make them greater?

He’s not in that group of 13 players because I don’t think he’s in that group of 13 players who are all judged across their careers not just the games that you deem important.

I’ve literally got 7 current players in my list, accumulated over 33 seasons of watching football. In what way am I stuck in the past

Can you please make one post where you don’t accuse the person making it, of making their post based on some non-existent reason that you’ve invented.

4 including 3 finals seasons isn’t long enough for you. Fair enough.

Sick of Richmond hate tbh that’s why, Dusty could not have done anymore than what he has. Has broken many record, you still don’t rate him. I think that’s pretty unfair tbh. I don’t do that with your players.

Ok where would you rate him then?

From the sounds of it you rate H&A more important than finals. Is this true?

No I rate whole seasons not just one off games. Should Ted Hopkins rate amongst the greats of the game?

4 including 3 finals seasons isn’t long enough for you. Fair enough.

Sick of Richmond hate tbh that’s why, Dusty could not have done anymore than what he has. Has broken many record, you still don’t rate him. I think that’s pretty unfair tbh. I don’t do that with your players.

It’s not Richmond hate.

It’s people making comments based on what they think.

I hate hawthorn. I have 5 hawks in my list.

I hate Essendon and cannot stand James Hird. I have him, and a couple of his teammates, in my list.

Even your ‘you still don’t rate him’ comment is stupid and simply not true. I don’t have to think someone is faultless to think they’re good. Martin is a great player. He’s not the best player I’ve seen and no amount of ‘but he’s won this’ is going to change that, and other posters are the same.

No I rate whole seasons not just one off games. Should Ted Hopkins rate amongst the greats of the game?

9th most Brownlow votes man. Not good enough I guess. Best player of the finals series 3 times. Not good enough again. Brownlow with record Brownlow votes. Not good enough again. 4 AAs. Not good enough again. Yep, 1 off games.

9th most Brownlow votes man. Not good enough I guess. Best player of the finals series 3 times. Not good enough again. Brownlow with record Brownlow votes. Not good enough again. 4 AAs. Not good enough again. Yep, 1 off games.

No 4 good seasons is no where near close enough.

Didn't say anything about how many games Royce played. Royce should be in the conversation for being as great as Carey. Yes and Dangerfield and Fyfe have a higher vote average than Martin. Does that make them greater?

You are arguing longevity no? Dusty has it. On track to overtake Selwood and Pendles in Brownlow votes. Still not good enough. What exactly is good enough? I want to know. What other awards to you want him to win?

Gary Ablett Sr is number one.

15 other players fight for second.

It's not even close.
I was at Subiaco oval on a Tuesday afternoon watching one of the best State of Origin games ever. There were superstars everywhere, EXCEPT this bloke, only in his second season and had only plaid about a dozen AFL games, Ablett kicked 8 from the forward flank and was easily BOG.

Last edited:
You are arguing longevity no? Dusty has it. On trac to overtake Selwood and pendles. Still not good enough. What exactly is good enough? I want to know. What other awards to you want him to win?

Martin does not play consistently good football. He has so many poor games it is ridiculous.

I was at Subiaco oval on a Tuesday afternoon watching one of the best State of Origin games ever. There were superstars everywhere, EXCEPT this bloke, only in his second season and had only plaid about a dozen AFL games, Ablett kicked 8 from the forward flank and was easily BOG.

Selwood at number 24 and Hodge not even in your 50!……..and you say no bias? I say bullshit.

Hodge a superstar.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selwood at number 24 and Hodge not even in your 50!……..and you say no bias? I say bullshit.

I literally out Hodge’s name in there twice, and didn’t order my list at all.

What are you talking about

Not a bad list. I don't think Luke Ball has any right to be in there to be honest (1 season at the level of the others where he won his only B&F and only AA). You could make a top 150 and he should struggle to get in given the quality of players you have left out.

I think Sam Mitchell is very stiff to miss. He'd be ahead of a lot of those named and before you say I'm biased - I'd have him ahead of every Hawthorn player you've listed (Crawford and Rioli).
Fair call I just loved the way ball played, but would struggle to make a case for him against someone like Mitchell.

My top 50 in my lifetime in order (just a bit of fun) will edit and adjust on arguments this is done in one take, close on 50 and will be Geelong bias (WARNING)

Ablett jnr
Voss
Ablett snr
Judd
Franklin
Carey
Lockett
Cox
R Harvey
Pavlich
Hird
Mcleod
Scarlett
Riccutio
Hocking
Silvagni
Bartel
Cousins
Fyfe
Black
Gawn
Goodes
Martin
J Selwood
S Johnson
B Johnson
Akermanis
J Cameron
Lloyd
J Brown
N Reiwoldt
A Rance
P Matera
T Hawkins
L Ball
S Crawford
C Rioli
Modra
C Enright
Bontompelli
B Fevola
Where is Robbie McComb? Bad list with out him.

Very difficult thing to do as I firmly believe the last 15 years they are playing a different sport that what they played the previous 130 years.

Ablett Snr played Aussie rules.
Ablett Jnr played AFL.
Yeah that’s another good point. IMO the 90s for me is still the best era… not this 60 goals wins a Coleman stuff.
Serious question … who has a better season than Dusty 2017?
Name the player and the season.
Shane Woewodin 2000, without a doubt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back