Play Nice 2022 AFL/AFLW Crowds/TV Ratings/Stream thread

Remove this Banner Ad

May 31, 2008
Canberra
AFL Club
St Kilda
This North vs Sydney crowd is interesting to look at. Just look at how much red is in the general admission areas. I think it’s fair to say Swans fans are outnumbering Roos, like a South Melbourne game of old
I think something people need to consider with Sydney games is how much their red stands out to the eye. It's by far the most eye-catching colour we have in the league - reckon that causes people to overestimate the number of Sydney fans at games.

Sep 17, 2004
Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
St.kilda’s crowds have been shocking this year. For a club that is just outside the 8 they are 2nd last in home attendance’s out of the 10 Victoria clubs. They are only Ave 20,000 v interstate clubs. North are Ave 13,000. Bulldogs 23,000 and Melbourne 29,000 (excluding the port game which was played in Alice springs)

What I see st.kilda are on par with the bulldogs and Melbourne. Those 3 clubs there is not much difference in numbers in Melbourne. What I see there are basically 4 tiers in terms of drawing power when there clubs are winning

Tier 1 Ave 40,000 of own supporters to home games
Collingwood
Essendon
Richmond
Carlton

Tier 2 Ave 30,000 of own supporters to home games
Hawthorn
Geelong

Tier 3 Ave 25,000 of own supporters to home games
Melbourne
St.kilda
Western bulldogs

Tier 4 Ave 20,000 of own supporters to home games
North Melbourne (seriously they are the only club that has no bandwagon support they would only Ave 20,000 of there own supporters if they were in the top 4)

I’m not sure what this relates to.

For example, during Hawthorn’s peak years (2008 to 2017) it’s average draw against non Victorian clubs at the MCG was about 45,000 (admittedly buffered by home games against the Swans in 2008-10, 2013-17 which averaged over 55,000)

However during that reign they drew 40,000 plus against Adelaide (45,879), West Coast (50,023 and 42,977) and Fremantle (43,583).

In addition they drew 35,000 plus attendances against the Lions (when they were mediocre) and the Crows.

Whilst they had several strong attendances they had some terrible ones - for example in 2012 they drew 23,000 against the Suns and 50,000 against the Eagles (2 weeks later) and in 2014 they drew 17,000 against the Giants and 73,000 against the Swans (probably the greatest discrepancy in VFL / AFL history)

Possibly the only year the Hawks drew consistent attendance was 2016 where they played 3 non Victorian teams in MCG home games and drew 42,977 (v Eagles), 45,879 (v Crows) and 61,880 (v Swans).

I would say that Hawthorn’s volatility between poor and strong attendance would be the widest in the league - anywhere from 15,000 to 40,000.

They definitely lack the consistency, resilience and numbers of the big 4 Victorian clubs but are a step ahead of the rest.

Last edited:

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
I think something people need to consider with Sydney games is how much their red stands out to the eye. It's by far the most eye-catching colour we have in the league - reckon that causes people to overestimate the number of Sydney fans at games.

Agree but the north royal blue and white stands out nearly as much. 12k Sydney fans, 7k north fans at that game I reckon.

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
It's about time some mods started being fair
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think something people need to consider with Sydney games is how much their red stands out to the eye. It's by far the most eye-catching colour we have in the league -

Yes.

reckon that causes people to overestimate the number of Sydney fans at games.

No. The default is dark clothing which enhances most other clubs except G.C.

gopies1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I think you have the tiers right, but I wouldn't have thought there's any chance that Melb, St Kilda or the Bulldogs bring 25,000 of their owns supporters to an average home game (nor that NM bring 20,000). The Bulldogs had home crowds of around 25,000 (give or take) this year against the Swans, St Kilda and Melbourne, with the away team making a substantial contribution in each case. I would have thought something around 20,000 (perhaps a little less) is probably more accurate.

That said, those crowds are still pretty good. It's significant that clubs that don't even rank in the top 5 in Melbourne still manage to comfortably outperform almost every club in any other professional sporting league in Australia.

I’m actually talking about your own supporters not including opposition supporters. Bulldogs would average 25,000 of there own supporters similar to the saints and dees to there home games if there were in or around the top 4!!

Bulldogs do not have a similar supporterbase as hawks and cats

gopies1981

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Could this break the biggest non pubic holiday crowd set by Carlton and Essendon when 91,517 fans turned up to see 1st v 2nd in round 20 2000?

I think it might come up short especially if the blues lose to both the lions and dees!!

My prediction is if Carlton win there next 2 games the crowd will be 90,000!

Blues win 1 out of 2 crowd 87,000

Blues lose both games then crowd will be 85,000
The way the blues played today they will be up against it to beat Melbourne who looking at the stats dominated Collingwood bar the last 40 minutes of the game.

If Carlton lose which is expected I expect 85,000 to the Collingwood game

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Tilt

All Australian
Oct 12, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
I’m actually talking about your own supporters not including opposition supporters. Bulldogs would average 25,000 of there own supporters similar to the saints and dees to there home games if there were in or around the top 4!!
Yeah, I understood what you were saying - I just don't agree with it. I don't see the Bulldogs (or St Kilda or Melbourne) bringing an average of 25,000 of their own supporters to home games (even in a good year), though I'm sure each has delivered more than that to big games.

To be fair, I'd probably judge Melbourne to have a bigger supporter base than the other two, but I agree there's a clear gap b/w all three and Hawthorn & Geelong.

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon

The AFL crowd average this season are really being affected by gws, gc and Tasmania x2 locations.

So many crowds under 10k and a lot closer to 5k than ever before, something you wouldn't have ever expected to see in the AFL if you went back to pre expansion times and something the AFL never would have expected either. Anything under 20k would have been seen as a poor attendance back in those days.

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
The AFL crowd average this season are really being affected by gws, gc and Tasmania x2 locations.

So many crowds under 10k and a lot closer to 5k than ever before, something you wouldn't have ever expected to see in the AFL if you went back to pre expansion times and something the AFL never would have expected either. Anything under 20k would have been seen as a poor attendance back in those days.
quite the opposite.

SA crowds 29k (down from 39k)
Eagles crowds 36k (down from 53k) - Though early season was covid affected as well.
Richmond 45k (down from 59k)
Collingwood 48k (down from 58k)

Tasmania 9k (down from 12k)
GWS 9.5k (down from 12.5k)
GC 10.5k (down from 11k)

most of the drop can be attributed to a big drop in the Vic crowds, and Poor on field from the 2 biggest Non Vic clubs.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

Bigger effects being felt from SA and WA crowds being down.

Recon_29

All Australian
Oct 8, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton

You have to expect GWS and GC to have poor crowds, only 10 years old and arguably are as good as most NRL sides attendance wise.. GWS especially being in a full NRL area. Imo, Gold Coast have a big potential fanbase wise and they are often helped by huge numbers of expats of other teams coming to their games or travelling fans looking for some warmth. Aussie Rules is as big as the NRL on the GC from my experience.

Really hope Tassie get their own team. Having travelled down for a game there myself it was pretty underwhelming (was actually a sellout game a few years ago too). The Victorian clubs playing down there just looks completely soulless on TV, attendances have completely dropped off. The Tasmanian people deserve their own team and are voting with their feet. I understand norf and hawks get some good cash injection from those games but to play multiple home games infront of 5-10k a year just looks terrible. I think the AFL should be concerned about that, they do love to brag about our attendances.

Bjo187

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
You have to expect GWS and GC to have poor crowds, only 10 years old and arguably are as good as most NRL sides attendance wise.. GWS especially being in a full NRL area. Imo, Gold Coast have a big potential fanbase wise and they are often helped by huge numbers of expats of other teams coming to their games or travelling fans looking for some warmth. Aussie Rules is as big as the NRL on the GC from my experience.

Really hope Tassie get their own team. Having travelled down for a game there myself it was pretty underwhelming (was actually a sellout game a few years ago too). The Victorian clubs playing down there just looks completely soulless on TV, attendances have completely dropped off. The Tasmanian people deserve their own team and are voting with their feet. I understand norf and hawks get some good cash injection from those games but to play multiple home games infront of 5-10k a year just looks terrible. I think the AFL should be concerned about that, they do love to brag about our attendances.

Tassie home games will be rabid, like when the crows first came into the competition, it will be great to see that level of passion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back