NO TROLLS Clarkson signs on as new North Melbourne coach - No Trolling

Remove this Banner Ad

Based on that press conference alone, we'll hit 50,000 members easily next year. It was straightforward and authentic responses. The absolute opposite of the bulldust spin we get from our politicians day in day out.

Such a relief after the last two years of onfield misery.
Given we’re at ~49.5k this year of all years, should shoot through 50 easily next year.

Not sure why North suddenly have the image of nice guys.

They sacked Noble, knowing full well the stage of development the club is at and the list is at. They obviously saw that Clarkson would be available in the near future and moved Noble on early enough that they didn't pull a Rutten themselves.

Kudos for timing it right and I think Sonja Hood has done a great job with Clarkson, my own club did it the wrong way in 2013 with Voss/Roos but North aren't the good guys here.

I don't personally think Clarkson will be the saviour though, 100% it'll end up being a Roos/Goodwin scenario in a few years, which would still be amazing for North though. Their list timeline just doesn't work with Clarkson IMO.

Clarko saying the Essendon offer came too late for him to properly consider it LOL

Not exactly a surprise. There is a lot a coach needs to do at the end of the season including delistings and trading/drafting strategies. They basically need to be in position by the beginning of the off season. If Essendon wanted Clarkson to seriously consider them they should have signaled their interest months ago.

Clarko saying the Essendon offer came too late for him to properly consider it LOL

"had a really good conversation with GWS and much less so with David Barham this week"

lmao talk about kicking Essendon whilst they're down. Brutal.

They sacked Noble, knowing full well the stage of development the club is at and the list is at. They obviously saw that Clarkson would be available in the near future and moved Noble on early enough that they didn't pull a Rutten themselves.

Kudos for timing it right and I think Sonja Hood has done a great job with Clarkson, my own club did it the wrong way in 2013 with Voss/Roos but North aren't the good guys here.

I don't personally think Clarkson will be the saviour though, 100% it'll end up being a Roos/Goodwin scenario in a few years, which would still be amazing for North though. Their list timeline just doesn't work with Clarkson IMO.
Yep i don't get it Kane Cornes said eariler in the week it's a mess at Essendon but so to North they aren't squeeky clean ethier

North are like Belgium. People felt sorry for them since they keep getting steamrolled by much larger countries and they sort of hope you don't ask what they themselves are doing in the Congo.

Just on Clarkson if he was never serious about Essendon because we came too late then why not say "no thanks" when they came calling why say you are intrested but really you wernt?

Could have easily said no to Essendon on Tuesday

Did you actually listen to the interview? Clarko directly answered that question.

I was thinking the same but listening to him speak you can tell the authenticity he has and how he is in it for the right reasons. Think mick was in it to prove Eddie wrong.
Great get by the kangas.

Yes, rightly or wrongly, I always got the feeling that Malthouse took the Carlton job for the wrong reasons. Clarko hasn't jumped into anything, I think he's weighed up his options, and honestly feels he can do a good job at North. He'll do well.

They also clearly got lucky in that draft.

How else would you explain the following drafts.

They got lucky in 2004 because the talent was there, no doubt. But let's not overlook the strategy. Clarkson wanted to rebuild the spine so overlooked Deledio and Griffen when almost every top draft pundit in the country had those guys as the best two prospects in the draft. Hawthorn could have drafted Griffen but drafted Roughead instead, banking on Franklin dropping to 5 as they knew Richmond were into Tambling. Lewis at 7 was a bonus but the die had been cast by then. By not taking Griffen, Clarkson essentially got the two best talls available which went against every bit of football logic.

2005 - Ellis, Birchall and Max Bailey was a pretty good haul. Dowler and Muston were a bust but were calculated risks with injury issues.
2006 - Thorp (rotten), Renouf (ok) JP Kennedy (traded on later but hardly a shabby selection at 40)
2007 - Rioli, Whitecross, Stuart Dew. Outstanding draft given our picks.
2008 - Schoenmakers (serviceable), Shiels, Savage plus a couple of busts. Pretty standard draft.
2009 - our first pick was 39 and we got Stratton, Duryea and Suckling with late picks. Outstanding given our hand.
2010 - compromised draft that still netted Smith and Puopolo when GC was hoovering all the talent.
2011 - Bradley Hill at pick 33 in a compromised (GWS) draft...oh and a chap called Luke Bruest in the 70's.

I didn't bother past that but I think you get the picture. Hawthorn's record at the draft during the early Clarkson years was outstanding. And outside of that they also traded very well. Burgoyne, Hale, Lake and Gibson were fantastic gets for the club.

And whist every club has a list manager and a recruitment department, Clarkson had his fingerprints all every piece of that Hawthorn empire.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The immediate gains from appointing Clarkson are obvious and a testament to his standing in the game. Much of his success aside from, standards, discipline and a consistent strategy to recruitment, came from is innovative game style that enabled Hawthorn to get a jump on the rest of the competition. Clarko will need to reinvent himself again to achieve sustained success at North. Something that the other Messiah coaches in Malthouse, Pagan and Barassi weren’t able to do.

No i havent going but what iv'e read on AFL.com why would i want to watch a presser on the coach we missed out on

Why would you ask hypotheticals that aren't really hypotheticals?

Just on Clarkson if he was never serious about Essendon because we came too late then why not say "no thanks" when they came calling why say you are intrested but really you wernt?

Who says that he didnt

It aint Clarko's fault your board blew up your club

The Bombers treated their own coach badly (an understatement)

How did that reflect on Clarko, did the Bombers give that any thought?

I’m hearing the phone convo in my head:

Barham: Clarko mate we want you for the job.

Clarkson: Yeah so when can we sit down and go over a full review of the position with the board?

Barham: No need mate. That Ratten bloke is already half way out the door. You’re in!

Clarkson: Isn’t his name Rutten?

Barham: Who?

Barham: Clarko? Mate you there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Hawthorn in him just wanted to watch your club implode for the lolz.

You may have noticed real North people hate you to our core ?
If you had the opportunity to watch our new coach presser you would understand he’s true North
Might explain it

Maybe

Anyways im not upset we missed out kept my emotions in check that if we were to miss out i wouldn't get uspet Essendon will move on and hopfully bring the changes it needs.

Based on your new president's first few days in the seat, those changes will be hilarious.

You didn't miss out. Essendon wasn't even in contention.

They also clearly got lucky in that draft.

How else would you explain the following drafts.
Hawks didnt have that many high draft selections after 08, and went on to win 3 more flags .
How much of this was good drafting, or good development ?

Some 2009-2014 flag draft/trades:
Burgoyne (cost pick 9 & 16)
Gibson (cost pick 25)
Stratton (pick 46)
Duryea (Pick 69)
Hale (traded C Brown)
Puopolo (pick 66)
Bruest (rookie)
Shiels (pick 34)
Schoenmakers (pick 16)
Langford (rookie)
Gunston (cost pick 24)