Review Dees v Lions Götterdämmerung: the Twilight of the Gods: good, bad and fugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Good:
Avoid embarrassing ourselves in front of Geelong next week. Pretty sure they’ll pump Brisbane but surely the Lions are a better chance given how cooked we looked late.

Petracca, Harmes, ANB and Petty all busted their campaigners on a dirty night.

Bad:
12 goals to 5 from 28 points up with 16 seconds to go in the second. Every loss we’ve had this year bar Geelong has been similar. We get to a point of putting the game out of reach and then get really passive when the opposition gets a run on. At first we blamed loading and then it was injuries, surely the biggest factor is mindset?

Salem, Jackson, Viney, Brayshaw, Gawn, Oliver were passengers.

Fugly
The forward line
Undisciplined shit from Pickett and Lever in the last
Sparrow, Brown and Rivers were all mind bogglingly shit.

Yep mids are fine. They never bomb it long to the pocket. They have 100% efficiency going forward. Idiot.
Wait what are you talking about. Clearly they're instructed by Goodwin to do this. Or do you think they've been ignoring Goodwin's game plan all season long? cmon mate, seriously.

Oh definitely agree he gets another year, just don't think he should be starting 22 come round one. I think he's still got something to offer for another 12 months though.
As long as #SGTR is nowhere near the 22.

Why does everyone hate danster on here lol or should I not ask? He seems pretty reasonable to me, danster redemption arc?

Hands down one of the dumbest plays from Lever at the end of the game too. A complete lack of common sense. Why he wasn't trying to keep that ball in with all of his power was mind boggling too.
He did keep it in... he was penalised for holding the ball ( illegal disposal ).
The ball never completely crossed the boundary line.

But this is just one other of the collective of minor brainfarts he makes, in the course of a game.

Rivers can definitely * off for a good, long while. Absolute panic merchant.
Truly the opposite of what you want in the last line of defence. Sadly his deficiencies have only become more obvious the longer he plays.

He did keep it in... he was penalised for holding the ball ( illegal disposal ).
The ball never completely crossed the boundary line.

But this is just one other of the collective of minor brainfarts he makes, in the course of a game.
yeah, but he also didn't know what to do. he was second guessing himself through that whole piece of play. Like, dude, keep the ball in with everything you've got. no-one cares if you slap it back into play and Brisbane scores. Take the game on. Not giving the ball back was dumb. I'd knock 100k off his contract just for that. It shows a complete lack of game sense and common sense.

Why does everyone hate danster on here lol or should I not ask? He seems pretty reasonable to me, danster redemption arc?

Hes been good lately, far less antagonistic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hands down one of the dumbest plays from Lever at the end of the game too. A complete lack of common sense. Why he wasn't trying to keep that ball in with all of his power was mind boggling too.
What? He was trying to keep it in? Problem was he put the ball on the ground while he was still being tackled which is auto HTB.

I agree with Rivers soiling himself in big moments. Like, get rid of the pill mate, good god! But Hibberd has been fine. He's bathed up Charlie Cameron the last 2 times. The issue is our forward line, and only our forward line. Not the backs, not the mids, not the rucks, the forwards.
Our issues go beyond just the forwardline.

Our losses to Swanns and Pies twice were high pressure capitulations. 1 in 1 we aren't developed enough across the squad .

A preseason can fix this but I doubt we'll improve. One thing to come out of 2022 is the realization that the defence and the gameplan wont save us. We have to evolve.

To be honest, I'm not even that devastated by this loss. We have been playing a very lacklustre brand of football since the midpoint of the season. We were never going to win it the way we've been going. This is the reality check. We have to work harder, get fitter, make substantial changes to the forward setup and forward entry strategy. That was never going to come together in this finals series. This needs to be a big off-season, and one in which JVR enters the big time. We really need to get back into shape so we can run out games properly like last year.

We won it last year - it's not all doom and gloom. With some good work, we can be back on deck next year. All I hope now is that Geelong don't win it. Anyone else but them.

Giving Goody a free pass this year to back the boys in to go b2b with largely the same squad.

He backed in the premiership players to do it again and it didn't work. Preferring to rush them back early from injury (Gawn, Salem) or get them them to play through niggles and bad form.

Fair enough, it worked last year. Was probably worth a go this year.

But next year has to be different. You can't stay still in this sport - he's got to adapt.
I respectfully disagree. At 10-0 we were clearly playing terrible football that was never going to stack up in the finals against the good teams. He chose to do nothing about it. That's on him. In the meantime, he's stalled the development of JVR 6 months and Jake Bowey as well by playing them in 2's.

We see a team like Collingwood win the close ones and you wonder why. Well I reckon with 15 seconds left heading into 3/4 time of a cut throat final they don't concede 2 goals. They lock that ball in like its a fight to the death. Pathetic the way they marched it out of the centre square. Same thing happened at the half.

The bad thing about this loss is Brisbane are one of the worst teams in the top 8. Losing to them is embarrassing. Even Sydney I don't rate. Goodwin has dropped the ball big time. And Selwyn has a lot to answer for. Can't run out games.

I want to see Brayshaw drop 6-7kg, Petracca can lose a few. Sparrow also. We need to become running machines. It's a running game these days.

yeah, but he also didn't know what to do.
He thought he knew what he was doing. He was wrong. And stunned with the free kick against him.
That is the problem I have with his game, this year.

He is so narrow minded, he always thinks he's right. His footy perception is OFF this season, and with that, he has put our team under so much pressure, Via his slow, and negative use, with the ball.

To me, this is why our other defenders made as many bad decisions with the ball, after Qtr time.

Because from Levers negative actions early in the game, he brought the pressure back onto us, as a team. The pressure pendulum swung, from Levers actions.

More elaborate
I worked couldn't analyse the game but
extra ORDINARY results. Goody not changing thing all year, what would you have to lose to play T,Mac in an elimination final.
B brown didn't get the rub of the green, getting arms chopped at points but couldn't get a free for the life of me.

Goodys inability to change what obviously doesn't work RE forwards stucure for 1 game in the year is baffling
Give JVR a run, he's earnt it!

The good - this will force change. The glaringly obvious has been exposed. There’s no learnings, no next week, just a long wait until round 1 2023. We simply have to change otherwise we won’t win another flag with a really good core group of players.

The bad - reckon it’s pretty obvious, season over.

The ugly - writing on the wall after that Fremantle loss at the G. Never addressed it, never changed, stubbornly persisted. It was awful.
Gawn literally said we’d take the learnings from this game into next year.

I know Goodwin is cooked, but Gawn is right up there with him.

Grundy could be a very good move. Honestly, Max should have torn tonight’s game to bits against Darcy * Fort and god knows who else chipped in. Sadly, he is on the decline from his best football.

If we can get two good years out of Grundy and over the same period Van Rooyen and another forward (recruit? TMac?) are serviceable we could stay in the pointy end of the flag hunt while we have peak Steven May.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back