List Mgmt. 2022 List Management: Draft, Trade and FA Pt2: Electric Boogaloo

Remove this Banner Ad

All the selections taken after #30 by Walls:
#50 Walker, #54 Western, #54 Benning (there's a pattern here)
R: Treacy, Worner
Wasnt he involved in the recruiting team in 2016 and 17 too though? He’s the main Victorian based recruiter isn’t he.
No doubt that he would have been the main influence in people like Switkowski, Luke Ryan, Schultz, etc getting selected.
There was a period that that a lot of dockers fans moaned a bit as to why our head recruiter lived in Vic but that’s not really a thing anymore

He’s been head recruiter since 2014 and with us since 2008, this from the article when appointed as head of player personnel in 2020….

“The appointment of David Walls to the position of head of player personnel is well earned and well deserved.

“He has excelled as our national recruiting manager for the past six years and has been an integral part of our recruiting team since 2008.”

So he’d be responsible for most of our late picks since at least 2014 (the year we got Langdon at 53)

Do we consider that a Walls pick when someone else was in charge of the list? Mark Micallef was in charge at that draft with Walls promoted January 2020 after Carlton tried to lure him over.
Yes bc he was head of the recruiting team

In the 28 year history of the Fremantle football club you would probably put 2016s draft effort at number one. It kinda proves my point. You cant expect that every year but if we do it again it would be amazing.
Geelongs 2016 effort was also unbelievable. Stewart, Henry, o’connor Zac Guthrie, Ratugolea and narkle all with picks after 40. Crazy stuff.
Mathematically you probably can't do it every year anyway with a cap on player numbers.

For example, Duman may have been good enough to justify a list spot, but we need to have a list vacancy.

It’d be pretty bloody good if Allan was a FS for us the same year we traded most of our draft hand for Luke Jackson.

As the rules stand we’re not even the closest club to getting Allan as a FS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isnt it Allan’s combine results that are pushing him up draft boards? He’s a pick based on potential more than production in his junior year from what I can see

The moderators should be handing out one week bans first time offenders, with an exponentially increasing scale for repeat offenders. Something like:

No# of weeks ban = (2 ^ no# of times Allan is spelt incorrectly) - 1

"exponentially increasing scale", surely that deserves a few days in the dark room o_O;)

That's the only thing making this situation bearable for me. 98 games for hawthorn lol.

The FS thing will even itself out in a decade or so imo.

Those from the Drum/Connolly era are mostly in their 40s now and a lot of them played enough games for their sons to qualify. Certainly much more than guys who only played under Neesham.

Hopefully Roger Hayden’s sons end up being guns.

The FS thing will even itself out in a decade or so imo.

Those from the Drum/Connolly era are mostly in their 40s now and a lot of them played enough games for their sons to qualify. Certainly much more than guys who only played under Neesham.

Hopefully Roger Hayden’s sons end up being guns.
St kilda have been waiting for it to even out for 60 years.
I don’t like F\S rule but I get the sentiment of it for many fans of the sport.
What I don’t get however, is why there’s a 20% discount on these player in the draft. Surely it wouldn’t be too hard to make clubs pay the full draft points value? It doesn’t impact the spirit of the rule but is a little more equitable. I mean, do brisbane really need a 20% discount on Will Ashcroft?
To logical a change for the AFL to implement maybe?

St kilda have been waiting for it to even out for 60 years.
I don’t like F\S rule but I get the sentiment of it for many fans of the sport.
What I don’t get however, is why there’s a 20% discount on these player in the draft. Surely it wouldn’t be too hard to make clubs pay the full draft points value? It doesn’t impact the spirit of the rule but is a little more equitable. I mean, do brisbane really need a 20% discount on Will Ashcroft?
To logical a change for the AFL to implement maybe?

Agree 100% on this.

I’d go one step further though and add a rule stating that no more than three draft selections can be used to match a bid. No going into deficit either.

The draft was brought so the sh**e teams would get access to the best talent. Happy for Brisbane to get Ashcroft and Fletcher if they trade out a gun player and their future first and lose McStay as a Free Agent to get three first rounders and two second rounders.

The system is broken that a top six side can not only get both F/Ss but they can also bring in a very good player like Josh Dunkley as well whilst losing only McStay and the sh**e Berry brother.

Hopefully this opens the AFL’s eyes to the fact that a few more changes to this system is required.

The rules just need to stay the same long enough for every team to equally benefit from them. Trying to fix them because we haven't had the benefit of other teams on father sons won't make other teams with father sons have to retroactively pay more to keep them - they've already gotten them, they are enjoying that benefit.

Changing the rules to make it fairer only means we get less advantage when it's out turn.

Sam Darcy and Tom Hawkins are both father sons on their AFL lists. Both were the highest rated tall in their draft. Dogs had to match a bid at pick #2 and Cats got to take Hawkins at #41 with the added benefit of keeping their pick #7 that they used on Selwood.

Stop calling to change the rules or we are going to be paying a fortune for players who line up against guys other clubs got for nearly free in comparison. None of these rule suggestions make the existing advantages even, they just get more valuable.

The rules just need to stay the same long enough for every team to equally benefit from them. Trying to fix them because we haven't had the benefit of other teams on father sons won't make other teams with father sons have to retroactively pay more to keep them - they've already gotten them, they are enjoying that benefit.

Changing the rules to make it fairer only means we get less advantage when it's out turn.

Sam Darcy and Tom Hawkins are both father sons on their AFL lists. Both were the highest rated tall in their draft. Dogs had to match a bid at pick #2 and Cats got to take Hawkins at #41 with the added benefit of keeping their pick #7 that they used on Selwood.

Stop calling to change the rules or we are going to be paying a fortune for players who line up against guys other clubs got for nearly free in comparison. None of these rule suggestions make the existing advantages even, they just get more valuable.
I assume you were annoyed that the Dogs had to pay pick 2 for Sam Darcy and brisbane have to pay pick 1 or 2 this year for Will Ashcroft then?
You’d prefer if both got to their respective clubs as a start of third round pick 40/41 right? Because Hawkins and Ablett did 21 & 16 years ago respectively and those rules should never have changed….
I have read you (rightly in my opinion) highlight the inequitable way Hawkins got to Geelong in 2006 on many many occasions on this board.

How about just make the rules fair for everyone. Then at worst in 15 years, when darcy and Ashcroft and those guys are finished, we will finally have what everyone wants - an even and fair competition where no body was unfairly advantaged by an archaic rule

Remove this Banner Ad

Back