Analysis If Dustin Martin wins a 4th Norm Smith medal and premiership will he be regarded as the greatest player of all time?

If Dustin Martin wins a 4th Norm Smith medal and premiership will he be regarded as the greatest pla

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richmond beat Adelaide & GWS by a combined 140 points. Martin made little difference to the end result. No matter how much you want to bring it back to the Norm Smith medals, Richmond would have won both games without him.

Martin was huge in the 2020 grand final but let's not beat around the bush, the team he was playing against weren't much chop.

Much more difficult for a full forward to do anything when the ball isn't coming down your end.
Adelaide were in front and Martin brought us back.
You can't deny he is a big game player, he's probably the greatest finals player of all time and finals are the definition of big games.

Almost as funny as entering the 2017QF on a 13-game winning streak against the Tigers then losing.

Or dominating a team for the best part of 30-years then losing to that same team in 3 finals series in 4-years, costing the Cats 2-3 more flags.

Now that is something you can’t make up.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Nah, a club ironically named “Nithmond” because of how many times they’ve been missing the 8 by one spot actually making the 8 for the first time since before most of you were born but then losing their first finals attempt to a club who actually finished 9th is infinitely more amusing.

You know it’s true. ;)

The fact that club was Carlton is just icing on the top of the hysterically funny cake. 😂😂

You can't deny he is a big game player, he's probably the greatest finals player of all time and finals are the definition of big games.

lol, Martin brought them back :laughv1:
You mean we should ignore the five consecutive goal kickers before Martin hit the scoreboard in the 27th minute when Richmond were already ahead?
I guess when he slotted his second goal at the 23 minute mark of the last quarter, it was the final nail in the coffin? Adelaide were really beginning to mount a comeback down by 50+ at that stage of the game.

And yes, I have denied it all along. He is not the greatest final player ever. For starters, he's only played 16 finals and I believe seven of those were excellent performances. The rest up were and down as all players produce in their careers.
To be labelled the greatest, you have to so far above your peers it is blatantly obvious.
Never been the case with Martin.

Gary Ayres has a medal named after him in a sign of respect to how well he played in finals.

Martin doesn’t.

Conan would simply bury Dustie if he even had the slightest thought of entering that defence.

lol, Martin brought them back :laughv1:
You mean we should ignore the five consecutive goal kickers before Martin hit the scoreboard in the 27th minute when Richmond were already ahead?
I guess when he slotted his second goal at the 23 minute mark of the last quarter, it was the final nail in the coffin? Adelaide were really beginning to mount a comeback down by 50+ at that stage of the game.
He won the Norm Smith and you're trying to say he had no bearing on the win?

Gary Ayres has a medal named after him in a sign of respect to how well he played in finals.

Martin doesn’t.

Conan would simply bury Dustie if he even had the slightest thought of entering that defence.
No one buries Dusty. He's the strongest pound for pound player in the league. Haven't you worked that out yet?

Pound for pound? Explain what that is.
He's stronger than anyone his weight or height.
There's probably a few lumbering ruckmen stronger than him but he can out manoever them anyway.
There's no player in the AFL who could match him one on one and have a higher win the ball rate.

I think it’s awesome that you have joined the cult , the cult of puppies that follow me around and have a hard on for both me and dusty

Just like them to me you are a blur, I won’t remember your name , but you will always remember mine

there two things about you that are obvious .

1. You have a hard on for me , don’t feel bad about it, there are heap of my fans on this thread, you should maybe all get together.

2. you make things up and don’t admit it when you are called on it, I blame your parents for that one .

3. you don’t know how to use a calculator
You see you did the first part of the equation right 12/12. - 5/12 = 7/12
But when you transported the numbers to your calculator u got 58.7% and the answer is 58.3%

The good news is the following

School holidays are almost over so you will have plenty of time to work on your calculator skills when you do your veggie maths homework.
It seems you're struggling. 58.7% is not 7/12. I was hoping you weren't fretting over my posts taking it there. You really do need to understand what you read and have a think about what you write. You get called out for posting rubbish and you seem to have a hard time handling it.

Maybe Christmas isn't such a happy time for you, maxing out your $800 card limit. It doesn't need to be that way.

These guys may be able to assist you going forward.

Just remember to start planning early.

Take care.

By the way, I think Dusty is perhaps the best player over the past decade. Or at least in the top 2.
And apart from calling you out on your concerns over non-Richmond fans posting here, I only posted once or twice in admiration of his performance.

Again, too much for you to handle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems you're struggling. 58.7% is not 7/12. I was hoping you weren't fretting over my posts taking it there. You really do need to understand what you read and have a think about what you write. You get called out for posting rubbish and you seem to have a hard time handling it.

Maybe Christmas isn't such a happy time for you, maxing out your $800 card limit. It doesn't need to be that way.

These guys may be able to assist you going forward.

Just remember to start planning early.

Take care.

?

Richmond beat Adelaide & GWS by a combined 140 points. Martin made little difference to the end result. No matter how much you want to bring it back to the Norm Smith medals, Richmond would have won both games without him.

Martin was huge in the 2020 grand final but let's not beat around the bush, the team he was playing against weren't much chop.

Much more difficult for a full forward to do anything when the ball isn't coming down your end.
Just before half time Adelaide were in front in the '17 grand final. Richmond led by 9 at half time which means it is anyone's game. Martin was a large part of that absorbing Adelaide's pressure, and there was plenty of it, and one of the key players in turning it around by half time.

I think we established Barassi was a bigger finals player. Martin was really good but not the greatest.

How exactly did you establish that? We only have sketchy reports and very basic statistics to go by with Barassi. There is no doubting he was a great finals player, but there is no way anybody could be confident, he was better in finals than Martin, let alone certain.

It is amazing how desperate Geelong supporters are to downgrade Dusty’s performances in finals, and his career overall. We have a couple of trolls, fair enough, but Cats fans who take themselves seriously like you are doing it. If you want to say someone is a bigger or better finals player than Martin with credibility you have to put a more compelling case than one journalists view that he was BOG in two Grand Finals out of 8 and may have been BOG in another two.

Just before half time Adelaide were in front in the '17 grand final. Richmond led by 9 at half time which means it is anyone's game. Martin was a large part of that absorbing Adelaide's pressure, and there was plenty of it, and one of the key players in turning it around by half time.

He played a sensational game start to finish. It is not up to him to make the opposition play 4 brilliant quarters. They couldn’t cope with him and they couldn’t even come close to stopping him. He had 22 contested possessions, and 2 goals + 2 further goal assists in a low scoring game. These clowns like catscollector HAPPY CHEFFY are trolling because they have nothing of substance. Dusty is the greatest known finals player and especially the greatest known Grand Final player. Three teams who made Grand Finals - two of those off two smashing wins each - could not come close to finding an answer to him. Therefore, Richmond were never in any doubt of winning all three matches when the whips were cracking.

How exactly did you establish that? We only have sketchy reports and very basic statistics to go by with Barassi. There is no doubting he was a great finals player, but there is no way anybody could be confident, he was better in finals than Martin, let alone certain.

It is amazing how desperate Geelong supporters are to downgrade Dusty’s performances
in finals, and his career overall. We have a couple of trolls, fair enough, but Cats fans who take themselves seriously like you are doing it. If you want to say someone is a bigger or better finals player than Martin with credibility you have to put a more compelling case than one journalists view that he was BOG in two Grand Finals out of 8 and may have been BOG in another two.
Pot calling the kettle black? At every opportunity you downgrade Geelong players, notably GAS. Do get off your high horse!

You simply cannot say Dusty is the greatest finals player ever as by your own admission we don’t really know.

And if it wasn't Barassi, then Percy Beames was arguably equal of Dusty. He was in contention for three consecutive best on ground awards in Grand Finals from 1939-41.

I'm not trying to downgrade Dusty's achievements, jut putting it all into perspective. We've only had 44 NS medals in 125 years. What you would have us believe is that anything before 1979 should not be taken into consideration.

Last edited:
The poster is making the point thay Geelong is your second team and that Martin is one of the fairest players to play the game.
Dustin could beat the crumpet out of anyone but he doesn't because he is a ball player.
Dusty only threatens women. When that occurs we know why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back