Review Round 5, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. North Melbourne

Who were your five best players against North Melbourne?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This is where the groupthink and myth making starts. Lyons played 22 games in 2022 while carrying an injury and being managed during finals. In 2022 he finished second in our team for clearances and had more kicks, handballs, marks, goals, tackles and clearances than 2020, when he was supposedly a key part of our team. Lyons is coming back from injury, has been flying in the reserves, named as a sub yesterday, but according to some he is gone and has no part to play in our seniors. Completely baffling and for some, hypocritical, given their responses when other players are criticised. I am going to be more loyal than that. #IStandByLyons
I haven't caught up to the posts after this comment, so someone else may have mentioned it, but 2020 saw shortened games and a shortened season due to covid.

Absolutely.

I've seen him come up with a bemused look on his face , no use whinging no one's going to worry it was against me.

Needs to change his name by deed poll

Viable options:

Bomtempelli

Pedlebury

Cripps

N. Daicos

Hawkins.

If you have any of those names you are basically in a "free kick against " free zone.

3KZ is Football just my personal opinion, but both Lyons and Rich are now liabilities in our team and the current game style. The AFL is slowly changing the rules to open the game up more, and encourage a more running style of game.

Lyons can still win his fair share of ball at stoppages and centre bounces, but as soon as the ball is clear of the stoppage or bounce he's a complete liability. So much of our scoring yesterday was from turnovers in open play (and North kicking the ball straight to us), and I very much question Lyons ability keep up with the pace of open play football, the same I do with Rich. The difference is Rich is behind the ball most of the time in a game like yesterday, so is less exposed than what a midfielder would be.

3KZ is Football just my personal opinion, but both Lyons and Rich are now liabilities in our team and the current game style. The AFL is slowly changing the rules to open the game up more, and encourage a more running style of game.

Lyons can still win his fair share of ball at stoppages and centre bounces, but as soon as the ball is clear of the stoppage or bounce he's a complete liability. So much of our scoring yesterday was from turnovers in open play (and North kicking the ball straight to us), and I very much question Lyons ability keep up with the pace of open play football, the same I do with Rich. The difference is Rich is behind the ball most of the time in a game like yesterday, so is less exposed than what a midfielder would be.

Agree re Lyons. I think of his area of effect as being a very small circle now and if the opposition get a run on in the middle his opponent can run off him very easily. Still a very important player for our depth though as he can set us up well at stoppages, is smart with ball in hand and can tackle well.

I haven't caught up to the posts after this comment, so someone else may have mentioned it, but 2020 saw shortened games and a shortened season due to covid.
That is a very good point. I had wiped COVID OUT OF MY THINKING, like most of us. I’ll revisit the stats and make adjustments to my original post. Great contribution to the debate.

Early days in this season. To be honest, I am happy he is on the park.

Did you hear it? I had no vision, so no way to know, but he dumped on Andrews. It’s not like the game was in the balance and a minute or so before in the call they were lauding Andrews for a pack busting thump of the ball by fist for a behind. Surely Malthouse can’t still be carrying the 2002 and 2003 chip around.

I didn't hear it at all as I was at the ground but just re-watched that part and I have no clue which thing Mick could have been referring to. Comben got a goal from a great LDU kick a bit later on but Harris was on his back shoulder? Weird stuff from Mick.

I didn't hear it at all as I was at the ground but just re-watched that part and I have no clue which thing Mick could have been referring to. Comben got a goal from a great LDU kick a bit later on but Harris was on his back shoulder? Weird stuff from Mick.
Yep. It was really uncharacteristic in a match day call, where you expect the special comments person to help us understand the flow and tactics of the game. It was a Kane Cornes / Matthew Lloyd style rubbishing.

It doesn't seem to have been given much airplay or time on here but I have to say (and I know the opposition was weak ) but Neale played about the most perfect ,one touch, impeccable skills and disposal game by hand or foot it's been my privilege to witness.

Some of the things he did were verging on godlike.

Do we just expect that ? I get the feeling he's saving himself a bit this year. Just did it all with so much ease and wouldn't have blown out a candle.

Just thought I'd bring it up because we haven't had a player like this since ,maybe Black. I think he's better.

Could Darcy Wilmot be in line for a Rising Star nomination this week or isnt he elligible?
From memory, the two key factors are that you're under 21 and have played less than 11 games before the season commences. So, tick and tick. I don't think he'll get it this week (solely based on a few youngsters at other clubs who are due) but I wouldn't be surprised if he snags one in the coming rounds. Love our little Pepsi drinker.

From memory, the two key factors are that you're under 21 and have played less than 11 games before the season commences. So, tick and tick. I don't think he'll get it this week (solely based on a few youngsters at other clubs who are due) but I wouldn't be surprised if he snags one in the coming rounds. Love our little Pepsi drinker.
Im with you , love Wilmot. I dont think he should be dropped unless he is rested - just pump games into him, as all the skills and attributes and will only get better with more games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn't seem to have been given much airplay or time on here but I have to say (and I know the opposition was weak ) but Neale played about the most perfect ,one touch, impeccable skills and disposal game by hand or foot it's been my privilege to witness.

Do we just expect that ? I get the feeling he's saving himself a bit this year. Just did it all with so much ease and wouldn't have blown out a candle.

Just thought I'd bring it up because we haven't had a player like this since ,maybe Black. I think he's better.
Black still is winning my Leigh Matthews stat , which is awarded to the player who hands the ball back to the umpire at a ball up. This player got his hands on the ball, He may not have been able to dispose of it but he got it.

Matthews was the player who did it the most but Black was the next best.

If you are looking at the 3-peat grand finals note that Black wins this stat easily.

I agree that Neale is a better player but Black was more a in and under player. Imagine Black feeding the ball out to Neale!

yes i think it was right at the end of the game when we were over 80 points up and Harris looked like he was a bit slow and Comben kicked his third, but based on what has been posted here seems an over the top comment by Mick in the context of how well Harris and the team played

baring injuries or management. Away to GWS is another road trip to consider giving breaks for maybe
I think GWS are better than their current ladder position indicates. They cannot be taken lightly (esp at home)
Some of the media coverage is just garbage.

I said to a friend of mine. I don't remember the last time we took apart a true top 4 contender like we did against Melbourne. Not just beat them (which we have against Richmond & Melbourne in finals (just)), but took them apart. Then we went & did it against Collingwood too. Really happy with where we're at, in terms of how good our best can be.

These two teams are the premiership favs.

In the media: The difference between our home & away performances needs to be focused on though. Which Brisbane will turn up?

Lol. How about the two teams we just destroyed? They just had off nights. FMD.
The focus on our home vs away performances is rubbish. It's almost a whing by the Vic centric media implying that we are a crap team really and the only reason we are anywhere near up there is because of the unfair home ground advantage we get. Lets have a look at some of the home vs away (and by away, I mean REALLY away . . . as in interstate) performance stats of some of the Vic clubs. I'll wager they look like lions (ha ha) at home and bunnies away as well.

I think GWS are better than their current ladder position indicates. They cannot be taken lightly (esp at home)

The focus on our home vs away performances is rubbish. It's almost a whing by the Vic centric media implying that we are a crap team really and the only reason we are anywhere near up there is because of the unfair home ground advantage we get. Lets have a look at some of the home vs away (and by away, I mean REALLY away . . . as in interstate) performance stats of some of the Vic clubs. I'll wager they look like lions (ha ha) at home and bunnies away as well.
you mean their 4-5 games interstate a year?

While he’s a stat pig you don’t get stats on inability to defend. He’s be high up there too I’d guess.

Norf were pretty good first 5 to 10 minutes of last quarter which was completely against the flow of play? Is it coincidence that’s when lyons was playing centre minutes? Idk.

Midfield starting to gel. Dunkley you don’t notice but I’m sure his team mates notice him. Perfectly combos Neale. Think they will keep getting better. But dunkleys defensive plays are elite. Will get better and drift forward at times as our midfield matures with the new inclusions.

I only watched the first 3 quarters. So I'm not sure what happened in the last.

I loved Fort in the forward line. It worked really well with Hippy and Daniher. I know it wasn't the strongest competition but Fort being our contested mark up forward could really stretch opposition backlines. I still like Joe playing as back up ruck to keep him in the game but the option of having 3 rucks in the second half particularly could be very interesting. I would love to see how it stacks up against Gawndy.

Lincs defensive work was really noticeable.

Cam didn't take the game by the throat like he did last week but with Joey and Hippy getting so much supply he didn't have the opportunity or need to do that either.

Glad we really kept our foot on the gas and enjoyed the concept of gather round and the boys playing at an local footy oval.

While he’s a stat pig you don’t get stats on inability to defend. He’s be high up there too I’d guess.

Norf were pretty good first 5 to 10 minutes of last quarter which was completely against the flow of play? Is it coincidence that’s when lyons was playing centre minutes? Idk.
Speaking of stats, which the likes of David King like to organise certain ones and I know you highlight with Dan Rich, but why are kicks and metres gained used for guys kicking out after points. Kinda inflates numbers doesnt it - I mean they use stats to say how good Sheezel and occassionally Daicos are but when you get an extra 10+ kicks from kick outs, its not right to then say Sheezel is getting so much more ball and metres gained compared to Ashcroft who say hasn't had a single one or why Saad is AA using stats as a guide.

Midfield starting to gel. Dunkley you don’t notice but I’m sure his team mates notice him. Perfectly combos Neale. Think they will keep getting better. But dunkleys defensive plays are elite. Will get better and drift forward at times as our midfield matures with the new inclusions.

Second in the league for pressure acts (162, avg 32/game) to Rowell (173), with Taranto third (148). Gets more of his pressure acts in the forward half than defensive (unlikely Rowell), and is first in that category.

Neale and McCluggage are putting up similar numbers to last year at around 22-24 pressure acts/game, so Dunkley is a significant addition to our pressure around the ball (~40% increase compared to Lyons' numbers last season).

He's also 5th in ground ball gets, and top 20 in contested possessions, tackles and clearances.

Back