Preview Rnd 1 - Carlton v Richmond Thursday 14th March 7.30PM @ MCG - Team Stickied

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't call that overconfidence, if we go into this game with the same desire and determination as this week, we win easily. Not worried about the composition of the team either, play as a team and we can beat anyone.

This is our time to shine, finally. We should allow ourselves to enjoy it.
The reality is that we're at a stage now where teams fear us more than we fear them imo. That's a wonderful position to be in as a club.

Will be interesting at selection. Sadly Doc out. Not fully sold on Fantasia’s form at present.. could we see Cinc in? Get Boyd and Williams a bit of time mid as rotation. Moir for the spice of youth? Who knows??? But let’s not underestimate this mob. They’ve had our measure for the last few years.

The return of Williams this season is fortuitous now Doc is out; hard to find players of that calibre who have the ability to roll through defence, the midfield and even forward if needed. I’m sure Zac will start (and hopefully stay) across halfback, but if he needs to be pushed up the ground he’s very capable.

Doc hasn’t played in the backline for two seasons now, so I’m guessing it’s time for a Binns/Carrol combination. Walsh will also be able to play that role when he returns.

The Tigers midfield looks a bit thin, but there’s still plenty of ability around the ground. I think an underdone Nankervis can be exploited by TDk (and Harry) - I expect those two to find themselves in plenty of space.

Can’t see there being any unforced changes, but the sub is hard to pick. I’m not a fan of a small forward in the role but with the weather lurking it might be the best option. Motlop over Durdin at this stage.

I think the E.Hollands recruitment is the one we will look at as a massive bonus now that Docherty is out. He should slot into that role well

I think the E.Hollands recruitment is the one we will look at as a massive bonus now that Docherty is out. He should slot into that role well
Yeah, I was thinking the same Soap.

In hindsight, it was a very astute signing - especially when we got him for a bag of chips cos of his misdemeanor. Can see him now taking on some serious midfield minutes, which is his go anyway with his tank and running ability, rather than a half forward role imo. We've got Cunners, Martin, Fog, Cotters, Orazio and even Moir who can slot into that role.

Before Doc went down, a number of us were trying to work out how Elijah slots into the 22 - I reckon we've got our answer.

I think the club stated 1-2 weeks for mots? I may be wrong though.

it’ll be tough for some of these boys just to be able to get back into the team.

If mots is available for this game, then who comes out? lol
It’s very tough to drop someone off the back of the lions game.

Mots imo is pretty crucial to our team as he can create havoc in the forward 50 and also give us some nice bursts through the middle

One of Fogs great plays which comes to mind was his quick chase of the Lions' player near our goal, body pressure applied, managed to tap the ball towards space for Owies to collect, the followed up with the handball receive and quick give-off to Cottrell for the snap and goal.
you look at that last minute in their forward-line - we weren't giving that up - the captain glued to neale for the ball up.......games we have dropped in the past - the suns result (bowes?) wasn't going to happen again - that's all voss....

Yeah, I was thinking the same Soap.

In hindsight, it was a very astute signing - especially when we got him for a bag of chips cos of his misdemeanor. Can see him now taking on some serious midfield minutes, which is his go anyway with his tank and running ability, rather than a half forward role imo. We've got Cunners, Martin, Fog, Cotters, Orazio and even Moir who can slot into that role.

Before Doc went down, a number of us were trying to work out how Elijah slots into the 22 - I reckon we've got our answer.

Agree. I wrote in my preview that we now have quality depth minutes through the midfield. We just keep coming at sides.

It's the vital minutes of Fogarty Cuningham Cottrell and now Hollands that make us a tough side. We also have great runners.

Cottrell for me is classic example. He was poor in first half. BUT his ability to keep running at the end of the game really made a difference. Hollands was similar. We have a number that can do that and that means we are always in the game

I think the club stated 1-2 weeks for mots? I may be wrong though.

it’ll be tough for some of these boys just to be able to get back into the team.

If mots is available for this game, then who comes out? lol
It’s very tough to drop someone off the back of the lions game.

Mots imo is pretty crucial to our team as he can create havoc in the forward 50 and also give us some nice bursts through the middle

With the bye coming week after this game and us winning Friday I don't think we will risk it. It's a long year and will give Motlop Weitering Walsh another 3 weeks before playing.

We now have depth and plays such a team game that we are now conservative with our injuries and I like it

Binns comes in for Doc. Probably for Carroll who moves to field.

Can't see us making any other changes. Owies is probably lucky to stay in but if Motlop and/or Durdin were even fit I wouldn't be playing anyone who is 50/50 with the bye the following week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't think any of the injured players will be rushed back this week

Carroll for Doc would likely be the only change
Totally agree.

I thought that apart from one or 2 moments, Owies was very ordinary, similar to his finals campaign last year before he was dropped. Having said that, I reckon he'll be retained giving Mots another couple of weeks to rehab, and Durds time to find some touch at VFL level after a long layoff.

Needs to get more involved for the 4 quarters though, and get himself in dangerous positions closer to goal - which was his 1 wood last year. If Orazio can stay on the park, once Mots and Durds are right to go, there'll be some competition for small forward spots in the 22 as the season rolls on - so he's got his chance to put his name right up there this week.

Agree. I wrote in my preview that we now have quality depth minutes through the midfield. We just keep coming at sides.

It's the vital minutes of Fogarty Cuningham Cottrell and now Hollands that make us a tough side. We also have great runners.

Cottrell for me is classic example. He was poor in first half. BUT his ability to keep running at the end of the game really made a difference. Hollands was similar. We have a number that can do that and that means we are always in the game

Agreed. Too many times in the past we had players go missing in the 2nd half as they couldnt dun out a game

Dow and stocker two clear examples

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's the story with the Blues Brothers

Outfits? Imagine 30,000 of them......
Or 30,000 in Stronger Together t shirts.

Less sweating in Cotton :coolv1:

But it looks like it's already caught fire so you'll probably see your wish come true.
It was a Queensland Carlton Supporters group function. They supplied the top and bowler as part of the ticket price

you look at that last minute in their forward-line - we weren't giving that up - the captain glued to neale for the ball up.......games we have dropped in the past - the suns result (bowes?) wasn't going to happen again - that's all voss....
Loved how focused and determined every Carlton player looked when protecting that 1 point lead.

You just know we've practiced that scenario many a time now. The structure we had in place was a sight to see.

It's a good thing we have cultivated some depth because we are being tested to the 30th man right now.

Running defender is our deepest position, so naturally every player there is healthy....

Carroll's performance was timely as we are light on for pure mids.

Carroll replaces Doch on the field as a follower for mine. I would pick Durdin as the sub, with Fog and Cunners doing the midfield rotations.

Binns to bide his time a little while longer for a wing/flank spot to open up. Marchy isn't a fullback and I don't see him dislodging Gov, Kemp or Newman for the time being.

Martin, Motlop and E.Hollands will put big pressure on the lowest ranked forwards going into round 3, i.e. Cunners, Cotters, Orazio and Owies. I think Fog is the only one to secure his position on the round 0 showing.

If we can make it to the bye 2-0 missing our two most important players in Weiters and Walsh that's an enormous coup and sets us up for big things this year. Can't sleep on the Tigers though who will be very disappointed with their first performance.

I don't think some people understand the importance of certain "Role" Players and how they fit into the side and structure.

Fogarty & Owies who are two that play a vital part with their smarts and pressure. Both play a team game and allow others to do well. They don't do the flashy stuff but are important
Wasn't either of those two names but it's a huge point and very true. Mcluggage had 6 possessions at the end of the first and 8 or so at the end of the third quarter. Wonder who did that ........................

Will be interesting at selection. Sadly Doc out. Not fully sold on Fantasia’s form at present
Fantasia was quiet stat-wise but it felt like every time he touched the ball something good happened. Also had a couple of big moments in the last including a nice chase on Wilmot from memory.

This is just 50 seconds but it shows him involved in three goals in a massive way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back