Samantha Murphy Ballarat * Patrick Orren Stephenson Charged With Murder

Remove this Banner Ad

Here are the crime board rules of engagement. Please read them.

Importantly, 'sub judice' means that a case is under consideration by the courts. 'Sub judice contempt' can occur if information is published that may be prejudicial to the court proceedings.

Don't spread baseless rumours or state as fact that which is opinion, please.

A degree of respect in all discussion across this board is expected.

The Murder of Rebecca Young - Ballarat

The Murder of Hannah McGuire - Ballarat * Lachie Young charged

Allegedly

Last edited:
Oh, I did not know that. I understood that the DPP/OPP would have some oversight of the type of change being laid up front.
Thanks for clarifying.
In Victoria, the police have authority to lay charges without directly engaging DPP/OPP when they believe they have sufficient evidence. The decision to prosecute rests with OPP/DPP. After charges are laid, cases are referred to OPP/DPP for review, who will then assess the evidence and determine whether to proceed. I don't believe this has been done yet in this case. It can take considerable time from the time charges are laid until the decision to prosecute is made.
They do but not for serious crimes. Murder is definitely considered serious.

Less serious crimes (also known as summary crimes) are usually prosecuted by Victoria Police in the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria.

Im curious about what people look like. I’ve only ever met bigwood69 in person and I’ve seen @Redacted’s silhouette.
I am just a typical Melbourne demons quince. Decked out in Ralph Lauren, have a JFK combover, wear my jumper over my shoulders, tan chinos and RM Williams.

A bonafide flog in other words.

Victoria Police is searching bushland south of Ballarat for the body of missing Victorian woman Samantha Murphy.

Police asked members of the public not to attend the site to assist efforts at this time.

Ms Murphy was last seen in February, and a man has been charged with her murder.

All that the above article has in there

Update:
Victoria Police is searching bushland south of Ballarat for the body of missing Victorian woman Samantha Murphy.

Investigators said they were focusing on the Buninyong Bushland Reserve based on "intelligence derived from a number of sources".

"Police are asking that members of the public do not join today's search efforts at this time," they said in a statement.

Ms Murphy, 51, was last seen on February 4 leaving her home in Ballarat East.

Patrick Orren Stephenson, 22, has been charged with murder over her disappearance.

A friend has said that it has been reported this morning that they may have found her body but I can’t find anything to confirm this?
The wording asking public to not attend the area and help would certainly fit to the "found" or at least somewhat certain that they are looking in the right area.

They publish the exact location of the search and then urge the public not to interfere in the search 🙄
I noticed yesterday there was an incident in a very similar location to the search area on the VicEmergency app that was "!" for those not familiar with the symbols that is deemed as an other (not fire accident tree down etc.) which a lot of the time is helping other agencies eg. SES VicPol and the like.

Didn't read to much into it but it possibly seems to line up with this and the general area of Bunny Bush Reserve

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a pretty obvious location to look as it lies directly between Mt Clear and Scottsburn. So the accused would drive pretty much right past there if going from one location to the other.

Of course, this whole thing might just be designed to draw a response from the accused, or to see who else might turn up to watch the search?

Ummm it’s a large area they are describing.
The actual reserve is not that large, going by the map? There's a long but very narrow section of bushland on one side of the roadway, maybe 400m by 30m, and another section the other side of the roadway which is maybe two or three footy fields in area? I imagine the search is confined to the bushy areas only, and would start where there is road access (which is only a couple of places). There are only a few short tracks leading to what looks like a small dam.

But there is also bushland around the actual reserve. Is that the large area you mean?

I would think they are going to find her body next 2 days. If they've pinged his phone at the burial site it won't be long. If not it will take longer. They are saying multiple intelligence pointing to the area in question which is encouraging to me. They are also saying she was not hit and run. So he has to have transported her via his vehicle. Let's hope this brings some closure for the family and more evidence given he hasn't co-operated by the sounds of it. Don't know if we will ever know his motive?

I would think they are going to find her body next 2 days. If they've pinged his phone at the burial site it won't be long. If not it will take longer. They are saying multiple intelligence pointing to the area in question which is encouraging to me. They are also saying she was not hit and run. So he has to have transported her via his vehicle. Let's hope this brings some closure for the family and more evidence given he hasn't co-operated by the sounds of it. Don't know if we will ever know his motive?

I must have missed it, I know it's a murder charge but where did they say it wasn't a hit and run? Can we definitively exclude hitting her with his car?

I must have missed it, I know it's a murder charge but where did they say it wasn't a hit and run? Can we definitively exclude hitting her with his car?
From memory, in the last presser, the cop was asked if it was a hit and run and he quite plainly stated "no."

edit: Yep, memory serves well. Now if only I could remember what the missus asked me to do 5 minutes ago.... :D

Press conference. A direct question was asked at 9:20 mark

Remove this Banner Ad

Back