Review Freo storm home against North

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone that was at the game, what was Sharp's positioning like? Last week he was open a lot but didn't get the ball kicked his way as much as he should have and I wonder if that was the case again today.

Interestingly I wasn't worried at all by how bad we started. I mean I didn't like it but I never thought we were beaten.
North tried to do what they successfully did last year. Threw everything at the start and hoped to put us back on our heels.

The difference this time apart from the youngsters being a year older is Fyfe as well as Pearce being back in form. He was able to provide that level head and stability at the last line and Fyfe wasn't able to set the example at stoppages.

Once Fyfe started bossing it and Johnson to an extent got to work Brayshaw and Serong found their mojo and it was basically all over.

Special mention to Banfield who is becoming a really good utility as well as Aish, Ryan and Clark who dominated in the second half.

We nearly doubled them on contested marks.

That's the benefit of the talls, draws defenders close to them so they can't guard space.

Too much kicking to predictable areas in the first half to the North outnumber but as soon as we started switching the ball they had to play more accountable.

I feel like our game is vulnerable to run and quick ball movement. Unsurprisingly teams have a lot of run at the start of the game, which I think plays a part in our slow starts.
Our game relies on stopping that run at the contest. We didn’t in the first 1.5 1/4s. Got on top late in the second and stayed on top. Clean possession and spread from the contest once we have control.
We were way off in energy and intensity but lifted. That’s a massive change from last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same old story with the slow starts, but the way we responded and steamrolled them in the end was great.

One thing that really stood out was that Jackson was pulling midfielder numbers as the ruck. Like I said in the trading/drafting thread, if we can bring in another KPF and free him up to play primarily as a centre bounce midfielder with Brayshaw, Young and Serong, he's going to monster the opposition.

Commentators mentioned Brayshaw and Serong but I thought Switkowski was one of the real fire starters. Midway through the second he was hitting every contest at full pace which seemed to get a few of the boys up and about.
they didn't mention us enough lol

I turned the volume off, then I use my phone to watch the time, the comments on here for the info, and afl.com to work out other stuff - I do all this while my poor dog (Fyey) is trying to chill on my knee lol

Same old story with the slow starts, but the way we responded and steamrolled them in the end was great.

One thing that really stood out was that Jackson was pulling midfielder numbers as the ruck. Like I said in the trading/drafting thread, if we can bring in another KPF and we can free him up to play primarily as a centre bounce midfielder with Brayshaw, Young and Serong, he's going to monster the opposition.
imagine how good it will be to bring Darcy back

Anyone that was at the game, what was Sharp's positioning like? Last week he was open a lot but didn't get the ball kicked his way as much as he should have and I wonder if that was the case again today.
he is turning out to be a great pick up

Remove this Banner Ad

Back