Review Freo storm home against North

Remove this Banner Ad

Walters started terribly a couple years ago and many wanted to retire him then too. I'm giving Sonny a few more games before I start worrying too much.
I thought walters game last week was pretty good just off the top of my head? Or maybe he had a few good pressure moments that just stuck out to me. Even today he has 7 score involvements from his 10 touches.

I’m not writing him off just yet, but as someone said we do need to stop kicking it to him up the ground where he’s always in a mismatch.

Aish is so underrated but has looked really good for us in both games.
I was at the game and Aish was easily our least accountable defender in that first one and a half quarters and it cost us at least 3 goals where he failed to chase his direct opponent. He’s much better as a spare in defence mopping up others mistakes, to be honest I don’t think he is a good 1 on 1 defender.

I was at the game and Aish was easily our least accountable defender in that first one and a half quarters and it cost us at least 3 goals where he failed to chase his direct opponent. He’s much better as a spare in defence mopping up others mistakes, to be honest I don’t think he is a good 1 on 1 defender.
Interesting. I’ll admit I didn’t pay much attention to anyone’s defensive efforts in the start because they were all shocking. I rewatched the game from the end of the second quarter onwards and Aish looked solid.

at the ground Aish looked off the pace in the first half but they all did. I think he’s a good honest role player. He gets into good positions a lot and as someone said - mops up a lot across half back.
However - one thing that is a slight concern is that he’s delivering kicks inside 50 a bit too much for my liking. He is not a very good kicker of the ball. Serviceable at best. Some of his kicks are almost like helicopter floaters at times.
In a perfect world chapman and young (or an equally good kicker than young) would be doing most of the delivery inside 50 from kicks. Actually Walker is pretty decent too.
Clark and Ryan are good if you want a long bomb on top of one of the big boys.

Gotta say Walker redeemed himself by playing like the north players! As in he was ducking and throwing himself around. Think he got 3 frees for in the 3rd…at the end of the day that’s all LDU and co were doing all morning so bit of taste of their own medicine.

It must be said the north guys have been instructed to play for frees. Their defence constantly outbodied and spent more time waiving the arms at the ump especially Pink. Pathetic Clarko teachings.

Thought Walker was good - I winced out of fear for his poor knee a few times, but he didn't seem to worry about it at all. Good signs.

Fyfe looked like Fyfe, which is all I was hoping for after the last few years. He's a legend.

Loving Treacy's game; so much hustle, and he really creates a hole crashing packs. Not to mention that he has apparently learned how to catch.

Didn't see Amiss at all pretty much; not sure about the defensive structures around him, but it seems to have left space for, uh, Tabs at least.

Clarke was excellent. No regrets on our end; he's a good player. Geelong may well have regrets tho...

Thought Walker was good - I winced out of fear for his poor knee a few times, but he didn't seem to worry about it at all. Good signs.

Fyfe looked like Fyfe, which is all I was hoping for after the last few years. He's a legend.

Loving Treacy's game; so much hustle, and he really creates a hole crashing packs. Not to mention that he has apparently learned how to catch.

Didn't see Amiss at all pretty much; not sure about the defensive structures around him, but it seems to have left space for, uh, Tabs at least.

Clarke was excellent. No regrets on our end; he's a good player. Geelong may well have regrets tho...
Curtis was giving Walker a bath early (Curtis is a good player) We made the switch with Hughes going on him.

Walker got on his bike a few times for mild success. Did get some important free for though.

He will need to improve his defensive side coming up against Adelaide’s smalls.

Curtis was giving Walker a bath early (Curtis is a good player) We made the switch with Hughes going on him.

Walker got on his bike a few times for mild success. Did get some important free for though.

He will need to improve his defensive side coming up against Adelaide’s smalls.
You could tell it was walkers first game back in a long time, took a while to blow the rust away, was important in the last when they were trying to get back into the game, definitely milked some contact but it was there!

You could tell it was walkers first game back in a long time, took a while to blow the rust away, was important in the last when they were trying to get back into the game, definitely milked some contact but it was there!
No complaints milking for frees from me! Every other club does it 👍

Interesting. I’ll admit I didn’t pay much attention to anyone’s defensive efforts in the start because they were all shocking. I rewatched the game from the end of the second quarter onwards and Aish looked solid.
Ha, I think all Freo supporters who watched a replay started from this point why put yourself through the first quarter and a half of rubbish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe but he didnt look rapid last week and had 6 touches and a goal. He'll have a game or two this year where kicks 4 or so and sets up a few more but it's not going to be hard for Simpson to replicate what he's able to put out at the moment. That's a good thing IMO - we dont want to be Adelaide and Tex
The thing Sonny brings to the team is his elite field kicking. He can find a forward on the chest which I don’t have the same confidence in Emmett or Freddie to do just yet. Also he’s a great kick on goal. I’m not quite ready to not have him out there.

JOM tends to need a slower build into a game. I get why they subbed him for Fyfe for another big body in the middle but Simpson would have been a better, higher impact quickly choice.
They threw more big bodies in there as soon as Fyfe went off. We needed someone like Jaeger or Brodie to come on and help with that. Zuhaar was monstering our little blokes on there.

There is definitely room for both Darcy and Jackson to play together. Jackson has been huge for us these first two games but whether he can continuously shoulder the ruck long term and have same impact remains to be seen

We will be even better if we can maintain the triple T fwd structure, which was evident in our success last year pre bye before Darcy went out.

If we have resolved our midfield issues and get supply down to fwds we will kick a winning score. With Darcy there if we are getting spanked in the middle we can throw Jackson in there

Why discuss, anyone who actually watches Freo games regularly knows we are better with Darcy as number 1 Ruck and Jackson as a high impact second ruck who also plays forward and draws the best defender away from Amiss.
The only people who want to discuss are idiots in the media who are running a negative Freo agenda.

I thought walters game last week was pretty good just off the top of my head? Or maybe he had a few good pressure moments that just stuck out to me. Even today he has 7 score involvements from his 10 touches.

I’m not writing him off just yet, but as someone said we do need to stop kicking it to him up the ground where he’s always in a mismatch.
My math came out a little bit different to yours.

If 7/10 touches result in score involvements kick to him whenever it's a good option.

Little negative comment here, sorry poshman
Haven’t watched the full replay yet, but watched the highlights & on the back of last weeks game, there can’t be such a huge gulf between our best & worst footy.

As we get deeper into the season & in general will be more fatigued, we won’t be able to flick the switch & overrun teams. There has to be some discussion among the playing group & coaches that realistically needs to be player driven on how that needs to be addressed.

There will clearly be stats associated with that as there are stats for everything & I presume it will be bought up in the media this week.

Points on the board early on are always good though & 11 different goal scorers is huge with 5 or 6 coming out of the midfield.

My math came out a little bit different to yours.

If 7/10 touches result in score involvements kick to him whenever it's a good option.
Thing is when we kick it to him up the ground then it usually ends up in a turnover because his opponent has 20cm on him and we always kick it on his head.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back