Round 4: Changes v Pussy Cats

Remove this Banner Ad

Keen to see how Khamis goes against an A grade forward set up. He had good moments against Melbourne despite playing out of position imo. Has been great in the past 2 matches. Big test this week with two genuine athletic talls.

Hopefully JOD can release him a bit further.

Garcia has been seriously good in the VFL. I don't think he's played any better.

With Naughton playing a bit higher, that should only benefit Lobb if he were to come in.

Big decisions this week.

If Hawkins is considered athletic then I truly have no idea what that word means. Superstar player but the opposite of athletic.

If Hawkins is considered athletic then I truly have no idea what that word means. Superstar player but the opposite of athletic.
He's surprisingly quick off the mark, even for a 35 year old. And the best lead-timer in the game. Jones has to stick with him as there is nobody else.

I do wonder about what we do with Cameron. Roll the dice with Khamis, go super mobile (B Williams) our bring in Keath/JOD?

Sit West on Stewart and stop the ugly Cheshire Cat getting anywhere near the ball in the air. Would love to see Bevo do something. Far too often do interceptors have record numbers against us.
West would be the last guy you'd send to blunt aerial dominance. Better off to send Darcy to Stewart, get him to play back shoulder and punch everything that comes his way Ryan Gardner style.

Richards - Jones - Buku
JJ - O’Donnell - Bramble
Daniel - Treloar - Baker
Sanders - Naughton - Vandemeer
Weightman - Jammarah - West
English - Bontempelli - Liberatore

Dale - Darcy - Macrae - Williams
(Gallagher)

I hope one day we can look back fondly on the time when an injury to Roarke Smith was a terminal blow to our depth.
Problem will be at the end of the season when someone struggling to get a senior game wants out and we will have a hundred posts about why we didn’t look after the player and why they want out

West would be the last guy you'd send to blunt aerial dominance. Better off to send Darcy to Stewart, get him to play back shoulder and punch everything that comes his way Ryan Gardner style.
I was more thinking West just sacrifices himself and stops him even getting to the contest. But yeah, you’re probably right.

Controversially (maybe not) I'd be keeping Gallagher in over Macrae based on yesterday if there's a squeeze.

Kid is building.

Moves really well & hardly wastes a touch.

His first goal was great - as soon as he saw it looked like Sanders was getting the clearance he took off flat out & got in metres of space. Then most importantly converted.

West has been first choice for this role a few times in the past. You just need to be a tough bastard to play this role, not tall.

Few big calls this week, particularly in the back half. Roll the dice with Khamis on Cameron or bring in a Keath or underdone JOD. I think we have to go with an extra tall for the Hawkins/Cameron combo. Jones to Hawkins is a good match up and I'd go JOD in to play of Cameron. Allows Khamis to play as an interceptor and he can help JOD in the air when Cameron is deep.

Dureya was good, but is in his last year and there isn't really a match up for him as Stengle and Miers are too quick for him and Khamis plays on Dempsey if JOD comes in. Williams moves back up to a wing to accomodate Richards and Poulter drops out of the 23.

In: Richards, JOD
Out: Dureya, Poulter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My gut is saying they’ll roll the dice on the Jones & Khamis combo, but that’s based on years past, which may not be indicative any more. Feel like I genuinely have NFI this week.

Is Dale perhaps in strife if Doc keeps spot? (To go out for Richards).

I think we have to look to the future and not play Duryea, Scott or Keith unless there is no other choice.

Not so fussed about Clarke, but would really like to see what Garcia brings to the midfield.

How safe is macrae? He got ALL the clearances and contested possies for footscray, but his output in a midfield where libba only had 60% gametime and Bont spent a fair amount of time forward was 4cp and 0 clearances? In fact we got spanked out of the middle - how many center bounces did he attend Oliver G ? What role is he playing?

I think we have to look to the future and not play Duryea, Scott or Keith unless there is no other choice.

Not so fussed about Clarke, but would really like to see what Garcia brings to the midfield.

How safe is macrae? He got ALL the clearances and contested possies for footscray, but his output in a midfield where libba only had 60% gametime and Bont spent a fair amount of time forward was 4cp and 0 clearances? In fact we got spanked out of the middle - how many center bounces did he attend Oliver G ? What role is he playing?
He attended 11 same as Libba.

My gut is saying they’ll roll the dice on the Jones & Khamis combo, but that’s based on years past, which may not be indicative any more. Feel like I genuinely have NFI this week.
I don't think we will.

Bevo said in his mid-week presser that selection of defensive stocks was reflective of West Coasts forward line, so I don't see any reason why that would change this week. They've got two key forwards, we need two key backs. JOD has to play.

Bevo's record against Scott 3 wins 10 losses from 13 games. One of those really does not count as the cats had given up in the last game last season and played a 50% VFL side. One was a bit lucky when Harry Taylor missed a shot in 2018 after the siren to win the game and I cannot remember the other one.

It is a terrible record although quite a few of those losses were at the cattery. Just think Scott licks his lips when he coaches against Bevo he knows how to get the most out of his team against Bevo.

Bevo's record against Scott 3 wins 10 losses from 13 games. One of those really does not count as the cats had given up in the last game last season and played a 50% VFL side. One was a bit lucky when Harry Taylor missed a shot in 2018 after the siren to win the game and I cannot remember the other one.

It is a terrible record although quite a few of those losses were at the cattery. Just think Scott licks his lips when he coaches against Bevo he knows how to get the most out of his team against Bevo.
I'm sure you can discount some of those losses if you're going to discount all the wins

I hope we are seeing a reinvented Bevo this season (get that sense). Matt Egan will be able to provide good insights to the Cat's MOO.

How safe is macrae? He got ALL the clearances and contested possies for footscray, but his output in a midfield where libba only had 60% gametime and Bont spent a fair amount of time forward was 4cp and 0 clearances? In fact we got spanked out of the middle
Surprised there isn't more discussion on this. Had a couple of nice moments but certainly didn't remove any question marks.

Am I the only one that reads a lot (ok maybe too much) into how the players sing the song?

All last year and again yesterday they looked like they couldn’t care less and were completely out of breath/effort.

In our better years we used to belt it out - delighted to be part of the team and the win together- speaks volumes.

So the one thing I want is that type of passion. To get it you need ‘family’ around - club people, your family and juniors. Still hurts to see heart and soul players like Bob and Moyd in other colours and people like Morris not at the club. In 2015/2016 they were everywhere every week.

Apparently Johnno helping the goal kicking and Wood brought back last week for something but need a lot more than this . Also does a lot for retaining players when they see how well veterans are treated.

So ins:

Bob, Moyd, Morris, Ed, JOD

Outs: Baker (unlucky) , Poulter.

Realise that bringing in two backs in for two wings seems dumb but Gallagher plays one wing and Williams, Dale and Daniel can cover the other one.

Would have had Bramble and VDM out the week before and also brought in Garcia but other of these had great games. And to be fair Bramble has shown good consistency in every game.

Problem is we are both in form and stacked in defence.

The best back six should be:

Red Jones JJ
Dale JOD Khamis

But back up pretty decent and well balanced to provide like for likes.

Duryea Keath Bramble
Cleary Buss/Gardner Coffield

And have Williams and Friejah.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back