Coach Men's Senior Coach: Brad Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyway, here are the relevant quotes:

I guess you're going to have a different perspective when you've known someone since they were a child.
The connection is there, tbh I wouldn't be surprised if it happens.
As shitty as it is to admit, whether we're aware of it or not, we're likely all close to a man who's got a history of acting inappropriately to women.
the ****ing good bloke defence. **** that shit

It is easy to do the PR when you have a few degrees of separation and can make a big show of it. The real work is taking it seriously when it is closer to home and requires strength of conviction to apply your stance to someone you have a relationship with.

Brad is showing that his stance is only skin deep here.

**** sakes Brad,
Helping the guy does not have to = rewarding him with an AFL contract.

A true altruistic way of helping him would be getting a life off field together, getting a proper job and counselling services so he doesn't attribute loss of a career with women and further embed his disposition towards women.

Instead we have clubs clambering for his footballing ability and masking it with "second chances".

The AFL should be strong and just ban the kid.

Rehabilitation and support are needed yes, but you can't on one hand hold a stand with victims event and then casually allow a player with his history back into the league, at least so soon.
Teams were apparently sussing this out months ago. He was kicked out in Feb.

If you are gonna allow him back, don't bother with your shitty stand event. Because it obviously is only a point scoring PR exercise.
He doesn't need to be in the AFL system to get help.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Riddle me this. And i am in no way condoning what has been alleged but he hasn't been charged or convicted of anything...so answer me how the hell Marlion Pickett is still on Richmond's list who is actually facing charges
Coz Richmond are terrified of falling off a cliff they're half way down anyway.

Riddle me this. And i am in no way condoning what has been alleged but he hasn't been charged or convicted of anything...so answer me how the hell Marlion Pickett is still on Richmond's list who is actually facing charges

I think Pickett should be stood down pending the outcome of charges.The NRL I'm pretty sure has a no-fault standown rule where if you're charged with something you're stood down until a resolution is reached?

I also think from a moral perspective, given the AFLW / VFLW and the quite vocal stance the AFL is taking on DV, what Thomas has done (multiple times) justified an immediate deregistration.

From the Age..

May have been asked about him and as he’s known Thomas since he was 14 decided to comment. Not charged with any physical violence but still very poor behaviour, but as Brad says should that mean career ending?

Hurley bashed a taxi driver and went on to a 10+ year career and now an asst coach
It’s not just a job though, they aren't just players. All are ambassadors for their club and the league, and the sport more broadly.

Like they are all contractually obliged to do media, have a particular type of signature for autographs, do school visits and community events, and the AFL and clubs are allowed to use their image for marketing by default, though if it is used they get paid extra.

Employment in that particular role is a PR nightmare— “bringing the game into disrepute” if you will— because it isn’t just employment, is promoting that person as a role model. But with that said he wouldn’t be the first to be pardoned by the AFL. We have coaches and senior AFL house employees who have been embroiled in that sort of stuff.

It’s a league wide culture problem.

Jonathon Patton is the only one that ever actually retired from the AFL for inappropriate behaviour towards women…

I think Pickett should be stood down pending the outcome of charges.The NRL I'm pretty sure has a no-fault standown rule where if you're charged with something you're stood down until a resolution is reached?

I also think from a moral perspective, given the AFLW / VFLW and the quite vocal stance the AFL is taking on DV, what Thomas has done (multiple times) justified an immediate deregistration.
Personally I am not a fan of guilty until proven innocent.

At all ever, full stop?
Pretty draconian IMO.
He’s done absolutely nothing to help his cause, shown zero contrition and fobbed off the training he was supposed to have done.

I won’t say he should never ever be on an AFL list again, but getting back into the AFL should be conditional on genuine reform, something he has shown no willingness to attempt.

People who work in youth development often still see the good in kids with serious behavioural problems.
In fact those are the kids that teachers often feel the most invested in.
I think that's where Scott's comments come from. He probably has knowledge of the trauma that TT's issues stem from, too.

It's not usually a 'boogie man' scenario, and framing it as such is unproductive. DV and family abuse is so endemic in Australia that I would wager everyone in this thread, knowing or unknowing, is close to someone who has perpetrated abusive behaviour. Even more likely you're close to someone who's the victim of it. People are often both.

I also think when stuff like this is raised, it's pretty important to reflect on your own actions and behaviour.
What sort of pr0n do you look at? What words do you use to describe women you don't like? How have you behaved when you've been dumped or rejected? Setting a good example is a much more effective precursor to holding others accountable than virtue signalling.
It is easy to do the PR when you have a few degrees of separation and can make a big show of it. The real work is taking it seriously when it is closer to home and requires strength of conviction to apply your stance to someone you have a relationship with.

Brad is showing that his stance is only skin deep here.
But it's much more complicated when it's a personal connection. It's actually really easy to denounce a behaviour and its perpetrator on facebook or bigfooty or whatever. It's a totally different story when it's someone you care about who's an abuser, when you aren't completely separated from their humanity.

At the end of the day I just hope Thomas stops abusing women. He is 24 years old. There is still time for growth. If he can own up to the behaviour then he can be a vessel for change. That's a big part of the problem with abusers though, they often lack insight into their own behaviour.

You’re the face of our club Brad, and when you speak to the media you speak on our behalf. Give Thomas your support in private as I’m sure he needs support to get his life on track but to say he is a good person in public when he’s a repeat DV offender… well… I’m dumbfounded.

Last edited:
People who work in youth development often still see the good in kids with serious behavioural problems.
I think that's where Scott's comments come from. He probably has knowledge of the trauma that TT's issues stem from, too.

It's not usually a 'boogie man' scenario, and framing it as such is unproductive. DV and family abuse is so endemic in Australia that I would wager everyone in this thread, knowing or unknowing, is close to someone who has perpetrated abusive behaviour. Even more likely you're close to someone who's the victim of it. People are often both.

I also think when stuff like this is raised, it's pretty important to reflect on your own actions and behaviour.
What sort of pr0n do you look at? What words do you use to describe women you don't like? How have you behaved when you've been dumped or rejected? Setting a good example is a much more effective precursor to holding others accountable than virtue signalling.

But it's much more complicated when it's a personal connection. It's actually really easy to denounce a behaviour and its perpetrator on facebook or bigfooty or whatever. It's a totally different story when it's someone you care about who's an abuser, when you aren't completely separated from their humanity.

At the end of the day I just hope Thomas stops abusing women. He is 24 years old. There is still time for growth. If he can own up to the behaviour then he can be a vessel for change. That's a big part of the problem with abusers though, they often lack insight into their own behaviour.

It's common for people in social welfare to try to see the good in someone, and they will sometimes go to great lengths to be supportive despite the evidence suggesting the person is beyond any help, but this is the challenge behind the DV issue, because this issue is the extreme outcome of a deeper problem and AFL clubs and social services deal with young people that for whatever reason don't follow the expected social journey. It can be difficult for someone once they have fallen off that expected social journey, and that's why Thomas might be better off moving away from AFL but Brad Scott is right that society has to be better at offering help instead of simply writing someone off because they took longer to get their shit together.

Last edited:

yeah I can empathise where Scott is coming from but still he is a senior coach and was in a senior position at AFL house too, he shouldve understood the optics, this week especially, and not fallen for a gotcha question like that. Play the straight bat and move on.

This comment from Scott was pretty tone-deaf IMO

“But I just tend to think that people make mistakes. If you keep making the same mistake, there’s an issue, but as leaders we expect young people to make mistakes.

TT kept making the same mistake. He was put through a specific programme to teach him about respecting women, and still made the same mistake.

The AFLPA should continue to provide support to him to work through any issues he has, e.g. access to counselling.

The AFL as a sports league has no need to allow him to return to playing any time soon.

If he goes away and spends 3 years playing in the state leagues, has no more ****-ups, then maybe he'll have earned himself another opportunity to play AFL. But he's had multiple chances and failed each time.

No matter what his background is, he needs time out from the AFL system and all that the AFL (says it) represents, to prove that he's changed.

A less talented player wouldn't have gotten away with as much, nor would they be talked about as having yet another chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back