Preview Rd 8 Geelong v Melbourne Sat May 4th 730pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's been off his feet for the best part of two years.

Club being very cautious with him, as they should.

This guy could be generational, I'd rather we take our time than ruin him early.

The tank will come, just needs the continuity that he has now for another year or so to build fitness.

The bloke is 21, he's a toddler in ruckman terms.

Might not be his time yet, but in a couple years when he's tapping it down the throat of Bruhn, Clark, Holmes, & dare I say LDU...it's going to be a thing of beauty.
^This.
Also, if Stanley isn't firing in the finals, in he comes.

The Power of Pussy makes any grown man weep to his knees begging for a tap on the shoulder to indicate he has some relevance in life!........ GO PUSSY CATS
1714626387333.gif

BTW, Pussy was my nickname before the internet. My brother made me change to Kitty, after our great aunt 😹

View attachment 1976759

BTW, Pussy was my nickname before the internet. My brother made me change to Kitty, after our great aunt 😹

All I can say to you Hello Kitty is that I have nothing but the greatest respect for your current and former nick-names, in fact just between you and me Kitty-Kitty I'm in 'awe of you' and that's without me getting down on my knees !!!..... and PS kudos to your great Aunt as Kitty is an awesome name, so good I should have married one!..... GO PUSSY CATS

Slightly baffled by Tuohy criticism
🫤 🤔 🤷🏻‍♀️

His part in Miers’ goal:
Bowes to Stengle to Danger, who took huge mark;
Danger kicked for goal from 60m, Cameron tapped ball backwards across goal square;
Tuohy did slip, yet managed to control ball to handball to Close;
Tuohy was tackled, Close too + Miers collected the ball + kicked a goal.

Dempsey kicked to Danger, who took another specky, kicked to I50;
Weitering was holding Hawkins;
Pittonet to Holland, who was tackled by Tuohy;
Tuohy kicked a goal.

All achieved by 14:14 minute mark in Q1.

For the game:
Goals 3
Disposals 17 (11 kicks + 6 handballs)
Marks 2
415 metres gained

2024 Stats
9B04F77F-AB2D-46E9-BA14-E764A57243F3.jpeg
OK, not fabulous. Still, Tuohy adds experience to our team + can be rotated with younger players.

BTW: This is Tuohy from Geelong website, quite a phenomenal player. So stop your whingeing 😹😹😹

BF91F161-D69D-42CD-8E25-1A4C59FE8C14.jpeg

Hawkins has been a very good FF for Geel , but not as good as Doug Wade in my opinion

Wade was a big heavy bloke like Hawkins but it was amazing how high Wade could get off the ground re marking

There was a Geel FC publication one pre season i reckon either 1971 or 72 - and it previews Geelongs chances that year - with pictures of all the players and a bit of a write up on each of them - and on the front cover of that publication is Wade taking a screamer of a mark at KP in the goal square , Barwon River end , and he is standing on a Hawthorn blokes shoulders , i think it could be Don Scott

As good as Hawkins has been , i just think Wade gets the nod , being slightly better
I give Hawkins the nod overall. His ruckwork and unselfish play included, just pips Wade for mine. I was at a game at Moorabbin and we were doing shite. Pianto took Wade down to CHB to get a kick. I saw about 5 kicks from there, obviously all from Wade. Huge torps, and the crowd was going, Ahhh! as they sailed into our forward line,. Except Wade wasn't there and Kenny Newlands was getting bashed by Cowboy Neale (so I heard later. never saw it). Wade was a mercurial talent, but also he never had Hawkins leadership qualities.

One time listening on the radio J Dyer was complaining Wade wasn't getting any free kicks from the dirty tactics metered out by the Collingwood backmen. Dyer had a soft spot for Wade, and hated Collingwood. A bit later Wade is jogging back to the goal square and the Pie backman who was running with him goes down in a heap. Another commentator calls it out in excitement! Dyer then quips, "He fainted. It must have been the heat." Dyer could be very droll at times. I can remember laughing at that one.

Wow this is incredibly inciteful. Thanks so much for posting that.

Thought same Finkbottle: so I've gone to the trouble to write down many of Daniel Hoyne's (from Champion Data) inciteful points, thanks so much for your interest.

Geelong’s method and style and how it looks - from Daniel Hoyne from Champion Data

I’ve taken a few liberties, but the following words are a breakdown from Daniel Hoyne of their Champion Data Analysis on Geelong’s first 7 games this year. Makes for a fascinating incite to how well the ultra-efficient Pussies are playing and travelling in season 2024.

1. Geelong is number one turnover team in comp despite being 2nd worst clearance team in comp.

2. A throw-back to basic footy with ball in hand.

3. There’s no one that goes forward more with ball-in-hand like Geelong do and quite comfortably, Geelong is number one in terms of going forward.

4. There’s no one willing to go long down the line to a contest more than what Geelong do and by a long way, they're miles ahead and that has a lot to do with why Geelong is 17th for uncontested marks this year.

5. It’s a basic profile and with the talent that they have ahead of the footy, it makes total sense as to why you would play with this method.

6. Although Geelong is 17th for raw clearances, on the flip-side they're the 3rd hardest team in the comp to generate a meaningful clearance. So, these blokes like Bowes, Parfitt, Bruhn and these other Geelong workers, they are doing an amazing job to force the dirty clearances and then to get their 'potent assets' into play behind and ahead of the footy, that is Geelong’s point of difference and they’re playing it to an absolute tee.

7. When watching Geelong’s over the next couple of weeks with obviously a big game over this weekend, just watch how exciting they are with the ball-in-hand, there’s no mucking around, no over possessing the footy. Geelong have not had a single player this year who has had a 30 game disposal in a game of footy. (Gerard Healy - “that’s amazing”).

Champion Data's Daniel Hoyne joins Gerard Healy and Adam White to unpack all of the numbers behind Round 7, only on SEN!

A MUST LISTEN for any keen Cat follower -

SEN Sports - Geelong on a roll.............. go to ⏩ 15.46 to 18.30

Last edited:
Thought same Finkbottle: so I've gone to the trouble to write down many of Daniel Hoyne's (from Champion Data) inciteful points, thanks so much for your interest.

Geelong’s method and style and how it looks - from Daniel Hoyne from Champion Data

I’ve taken a few liberties, but the following words are a breakdown from Daniel Hoyne of their Champion Data Analysis on Geelong’s first 7 games this year. Makes for a fascinating incite to how well the ultra-efficient Pussies are playing and travelling in season 2024.

1. Geelong is number one turnover team in comp despite being 2nd worst clearance team in comp.

2. A throw-back to basic footy with ball in hand.

3. There’s no one that goes forward with ball in hand like Geelong do and quite comfortably, Geelong is number one in terms of going forward.

4. There’s no one willing to go long down the line to a contest more than what Geelong do and by a long way, they're miles ahead and that has a lot to do with why Geelong is 17th for uncontested marks this year.

5. It’s a basic profile and with the talent that they have ahead of the footy, it makes total sense as to why you would play with this method.

6. Although Geelong is 17th for raw clearances, on the flip-side they're the 3rd hardest team in the comp to generate a meaningful clearance. So, these blokes like Bowes, Parfitt, Bruhn and these other Geelong workers, they are doing an amazing job to force the dirty clearances and then to get their 'potent assets' into play behind and ahead of the footy, that is Geelong’s point of difference and they’re playing it to an absolute tee.

7. When watching Geelong’s over the next couple of weeks with obviously a big game over this weekend, just watch how exciting they are with the ball-in-hand, there’s no mucking around, no over possessing the footy. Geelong have not had a single player this year who has had a 30 game disposal in a game of footy. (Gerard Healy - “that’s amazing”).

Champion Data's Daniel Hoyne joins Gerard Healy and Adam White to unpack all of the numbers behind Round 7, only on SEN!

Good summary

The big one for me is how hard we are to get a clean clearance off

We have always been a great turn over side but since 22 we have been even beter
A throw-back to basic footy with ball in hand.
Along with GWS we are the best sides to watch this year
There’s no one that goes forward with ball in hand like Geelong do and quite comfortably, Geelong is number one in terms of going forward.
This is because of Miers, Cameron, Dempsey, Close, Stengle, Holmes etc
There’s no one willing to go long down the line to a contest more than what Geelong do and by a long way, they're miles ahead and that has a lot to do with why Geelong is 17th for uncontested marks this year.
We are trusting our players in 1-1 or 2-2 etc more than most
It’s a basic profile and with the talent that they have ahead of the footy, it makes total sense as to why you would play with this method.
Agreed We wanted to play this way for years but between 2016-21 we just didn't have the right cattle we do now
Although Geelong is 17th for raw clearances, on the flip-side they're the 3rd hardest team in the comp to generate a meaningful clearance. So, these blokes like Bowes, Parfitt, Bruhn and these other Geelong workers, they are doing an amazing job to force the dirty clearances and then to get their 'potent assets' into play behind and ahead of the footy, that is Geelong’s point of difference and they’re playing it to an absolute tee.
This is due to how much more defensive minded some of our mids are compared to the past as well as great coaching
When watching Geelong’s over the next couple of weeks with obviously a big game over this weekend, just watch how exciting they are with the ball-in-hand, there’s no mucking around, no over possessing the footy. Geelong have not had a single player this year who has had a 30 game disposal in a game of footy. (Gerard Healy - “that’s amazing”).

I give Hawkins the nod overall. His ruckwork and unselfish play included, just pips Wade for mine. I was at a game at Moorabbin and we were doing shite. Pianto took Wade down to CHB to get a kick. I saw about 5 kicks from there, obviously all from Wade. Huge torps, and the crowd was going, Ahhh! as they sailed into our forward line,. Except Wade wasn't there and Kenny Newlands was getting bashed by Cowboy Neale (so I heard later. never saw it). Wade was a mercurial talent, but also he never had Hawkins leadership qualities.

One time listening on the radio J Dyer was complaining Wade wasn't getting any free kicks from the dirty tactics metered out by the Collingwood backmen. Dyer had a soft spot for Wade, and hated Collingwood. A bit later Wade is jogging back to the goal square and the Pie backman who was running with him goes down in a heap. Another commentator calls it out in excitement! Dyer then quips, "He fainted. It must have been the heat." Dyer could be very droll at times. I can remember laughing at that one.

One area or aspect i think Wade and Gary Ablett Snr had it over and were better than Hawkins - and i take into account that Tom is old and near the end of his career - but that game against Carlton , i think it is in the 3rd qtr - where the ball is kicked basically to FF , Hawkins and Weitiring are about 30 metres out from goal , they are not wrestling or having a test of strength , its just basically a ball kicked to them - and in that type of contest Hawkins can get out positioned in the contest- miss judge it a bit ( Weitering beat him pointless on that occasion ) and that type of situation , that has been a slight weakness ( when judging a players overall talent ) in Hawkins career

Both Wade and Ablett re that contest example against Weitering they dont get out positioned in the contest like Hawkins did - and when you are trying to judge who is the better FF , Wade was much better in that situation

And Wade also had a very good football brain

View attachment 1976759

Tim Rozon GIF by Blue Ice Pictures

One area or aspect i think Wade and Gary Ablett Snr had it over and were better than Hawkins - and i take into account that Tom is old and near the end of his career - but that game against Carlton , i think it is in the 3rd qtr - where the ball is kicked basically to FF , Hawkins and Weitiring are about 30 metres out from goal , they are not wrestling or having a test of strength , its just basically a ball kicked to them - and in that type of contest Hawkins can get out positioned in the contest- miss judge it a bit ( Weitering beat him pointless on that occasion ) and that type of situation , that has been a slight weakness ( when judging a players overall talent ) in Hawkins career

Both Wade and Ablett re that contest example against Weitering they dont get out positioned in the contest like Hawkins did - and when you are trying to judge who is the better FF , Wade was much better in that situation

And Wade also had a very good football brain
Wade also had a big arse, strong legs and core. GAS was just a freak. They both had legs like tree trunks and basically planted the feet, used their strength and that was that.

Hawk does not have that same core ability to plonk the feet, he is more wobbly.

How's that for a scientific analysis?

Hawkins has been a very good FF for Geel , but not as good as Doug Wade in my opinion

Wade was a big heavy bloke like Hawkins but it was amazing how high Wade could get off the ground re marking

There was a Geel FC publication one pre season i reckon either 1971 or 72 - and it previews Geelongs chances that year - with pictures of all the players and a bit of a write up on each of them - and on the front cover of that publication is Wade taking a screamer of a mark at KP in the goal square , Barwon River end , and he is standing on a Hawthorn blokes shoulders , i think it could be Don Scott

As good as Hawkins has been , i just think Wade gets the nod , being slightly better

I was thirteen, standing behind the posts, when one of Doug Wade's goals came sailing through, I recollect it was the milestone 100? goal, and it hit me hard right on the noggin. Had me seeing more stars than Wade. They were standing behind the cheer squad days, hoping Father Rafter didn't hear you swear. :)

It's an interesting comparison, Wade belonging to the era of the high flying stay- at -home full forwards until the lead.
He was strong and very accurate. Also no all Australian blazers then, multiple for Tom, can be thought of as a marker of greatness.
Tom's play further down field (until recently) and superlative ruck and tap work belong to the modern game as well.
It might be apples and pears, but Hawk has the edge for me, but both once in a lifetime players!
Now G Malarkey, there's another matter.

I'd go GAS .................................................................. Wade ... Hawk.

Different types of players, different eras. If there was a comparative stat that was era related it would be a bit "easier".

Wade and GAS had to cop heaps of dirt off the ball, could give it as well. Hawk is the team man with assists and role playing off the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:confusedv1: :think: :shrug:

His part in Miers’ goal:
Danger kicked for goal from 60m, Cameron tapped ball backwards across goal square;

Tuohy kicked a goal.

For the game:
Goals 3
Marks 2
415 metres gained

FYI 2024 Stats
1714631447592.jpeg

OK not fabulous stats. Still, Tuohy was excellent against Carlton.

Adds value to the team with experience + can be rotated with younger players.

BTW: This is Tuohy from the Geelong website. A phenomenal player, so stop your whingeing
😹 😹 😹
1714631628839.jpeg

Good summary

The big one for me is how hard we are to get a clean clearance off

Yeah that was a bit of a standout Gunf: as dirty clearances by opposition set up our strengths, so in a twisted way it's almost to our advantage and to think we're 3rd best at it in the comp. There's much to be said for Bruhn, Bowes, Parfitt and company as they're doing a far better job than a lot of people are giving credit for and with less game time too, so it's really an outstanding effort by all concerned.

Yeah that was a bit of a standout Gunf: as dirty clearances by opposition set up our strengths, so in a twisted way it's almost to our advantage and to think we're 3rd best at it in the comp. There's much to be said for Bruhn, Bowes, Parfitt and company as they're doing a far better job than a lot of people are giving credit for and with less game time too, so it's really an outstanding effort by all concerned.
It helps that our mid group is much more defensively minded than our mid mix has been in a very long time

I love Selwood, Danger, Duncan, Kelly etc but they were attack first mentality all of them

Our current group are set up to be defensive first and attack second it seems apart from Danger of course

:confusedv1: :think: :shrug:

His part in Miers’ goal:

Tuohy kicked a goal.

For the game:
Goals 3
Marks 2
415 metres gained

FYI 2024 Stats
View attachment 1976833

OK not fabulous stats. Still, Tuohy was excellent against Carlton.

Adds value to the team with experience + can be rotated with younger players.

BTW: This is Tuohy from the Geelong website. A phenomenal player, so stop your whingeing
😹 😹 😹
View attachment 1976837

Touhy's game on weekend against Carlton was like the Touhy of old Hello Kitty: and best game in a long while. Keep that up and not only will he have no knockers but he'll be undroppable...... so here's hoping 🙏🤞

It helps that our mid group is much more defensively minded than our mid mix has been in a very long time

I love Selwood, Danger, Duncan, Kelly etc but they were attack first mentality all of them

Our current group are set up to be defensive first and attack second it seems apart from Danger of course

So many goals across the comp are coming from unprotected areas from just outside stoppages, especially the oppositions offence side as players get sucked into play. Although Carlton is number one for clearances they're also number three for not defending stoppage so there's a bit of Russian roulette going on there. We don't want that at all because our front and back halves are so strong, we don't need to play Russian roulette at stoppage, that's for others to gamble of which a lot of sides currently are finding out when opposed to the Cats.

Last edited:
Geelong has made three changes to its team that will play the Melbourne at the MCG this Saturday from 7.30pm AEST.

Tom Stewart returns to the side alongside Gary Rohan and Jhye Clark. They replace captain Patrick Dangerfield who will miss the next 4-6 weeks with a hamstring strain, Brandan Parfitt (managed) and Mark O'Connor (managed).

The clash at the MCG will see the Cats take on the Demons in a top-four clash and the first time since Round 4 2021.

Geelong enters the contest in excellent form starting the season with seven straight wins, the most recent a 14-point victory against the Carlton at the MCG last weekend.

Melbourne enter the clash in good form after a 43-point victory over Richmond in the traditional ANZAC Eve clash in Round 7.

The last time the two sides met was in Round 15, 2023, when the Cats took home the four points, with a 15-point win down at GMHBA Stadium.

First bounce will be at 7.30pm AEST and will be broadcast on Channel 7, Kayo and K rock.

Round 8

Melbourne v Geelong
MCG, Melbourne
7.30pm AEST Saturday 4 May

In: Tom Stewart, Gary Rohan, Jhye Clark
Out: Patrick Dangerfield (Injured), Brandan Parfitt (Managed), Mark O'Connor (Managed)

BacksJack HenrySam De KoningJake Kolodjashnij
Half BacksZach GuthrieTom StewartMax Holmes
CentrelineZach TuohyTom AtkinsMark Blicavs
Half ForwardsBrad CloseJeremy CameronGryan Miers
ForwardsTyson StengleTom HawkinsOliver Henry
FollowersRhys StanleyCameron GuthrieTanner Bruhn
InterchangeOliver DempseyMitch DuncanJack Bowes
Gary RohanJhye Clark
EmergenciesMark O'ConnorBrandan ParfittShannon Neale

Interesting game to loosen up our inside midfield rotations

Is this where at go with the apparent pre-season chat of Stewart in the midfield?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back