Review Dees v Handbaggers – The Good, Bad & Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

Props to Goody – it wasn't always pretty, but he came in with a plan and we (mostly) executed it. Geelong never really got a rhythm going.

Thought Goody won the battle in the coaches box. We set ourselves up perfectly to win and it could’ve been by a lot more.

Tom McDonald take a bow.

Good:

• Lever BOG second week in a row, and putting together a great season. Will be AA on current form.
  • One of our better midfield performances of the year. Like I said last week, Langdon is back to his best form this year. Viney, Oliver and Petracca were down again in the first half, but I thought they all made big contributions in the second half. Not sure I can say anything about Windsor that hasn't already been said. Even Sparrow had one of his better games for the year.
  • Great to see Petty clunking a few and getting on the score sheet. Field kicking not so great, but baby steps.
  • Also great to see players holding their nerve and delivering at big moments in the last quarter. That Gawn goal turned the tide of the game. Windsor nailing the set shot after blowing the one he had earlier. Fritsch doing what Geelong players normally do to us and pulling a goal from deep out of his backside to ice the game. Some big marks to Petty, Rivers and Gawn. I had the nagging feeling we were going to throw that away until the last minute, so I'm glad the players thought differently.
  • TMac continues to surprise me. Really did a number on Cameron tonight.
  • Coaching / tactics were spot on. Like I said in the Goodwin thread, it wasn't pretty, but if that's what it takes to beat those pricks then I'm all in.

Bad:

• Dew might have been a factor, but we looked really fumbly and sloppy with the ball again, particularly in the first half.
  • A lot of kicks directed to the top of the goal square again. We were lucky that the Cats' defenders kept spoiling each other, and the conditions might have made intercept marking difficult, but I don't think that's going to work if we try it against them next time.

Ugly:

- Goal kicking. We were just lucky that they burnt some decent chances as well.

Had to stop watching live such was the...

angry david bowie GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oliver had a huge last quarter I thought. Hopefully he can really build from here.
Really put his body behind the ball at times. There was one really quality block on half back

I don't think i've seen him get caught holding the ball so many times though

Brief glance at the cats board: they lost because they played well below their bestest best and we only won because they had a bad day and we played as well as we are capable of playing ever.

Why are supporters this bad? Why are they all dipsticks? What is wrong with “hats off, you got us tonight, good game, look forward to our next matchup?”

campaigners

Really going to enjoy that 2nd half replay!

Windsor - Gun. How good. Already forgot Daniel Curtin.

May/Lever is arguably our best trades ever. Lever is AA quality this year, May not far behind.

Langdon finding some form last month. Petty played his best game in 2024.

I just don't think the Cats will walk away worried though. Cameron won't play that poor again and Danger will come in. I thought they were ordinary the Cats and nearly won the game.

Our forward half is still poo

Brief glance at the cats board: they lost because they played well below their bestest best and we only won because they had a bad day and we played as well as we are capable of playing ever.

Why are supporters this bad? Why are they all dipsticks? What is wrong with “hats off, you got us tonight, good game, look forward to our next matchup?”

campaigners
I noticed this as well. Yes they played shit but we certainly weren't near our best. Backline was probably the only line I would say is in best form. Our midfield is still below its best. Our forward line is still dysfunctional. Yeah definitely some better signs but still far from our best.

Not a great spectacle but genuinely exciting footy in the last QTR.

-Backline fantastic, May, Lever, Tmac, Mcvee all sensational.
  • The wingers club, Lingers getting back to some serious form, Windsor is going to be some player, that tackle and goal in the last wowza.
  • Petty and JVR clunking a few, hopefully Petty gains confidence from that showing and get some more composure with ball in hand.
  • Clarrys last QTR.
  • Fritschs sealer.

We kick a little straighter and it's a fairly complete performance!

campaigners

"They only won because we were so shit" is one of the weirdest flexes you see in the BF ecosystem. Like, yes: you lost because you were shitter than the other team. That's how football works, generally. It doesn't mean you'll be less shit next time, just that you are capable of being shit. Great defence of your team there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back