Rumour Future of the club (Bevo, board, assistant coaches, football department)

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally I’m feeling pretty uncomfortable with the way Luke is being treated by the media and some of our own supporters. The guy loves the club and his players. Does he have some shortcomings? Of course he does. Has he reached the end of the road with us? Potentially, yes. Does he deserve to be shown some respect? Very big yes in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Most if not all want to see Bev leave on good terms and seeing him off in a deserving manner

The longer the inevitable drags on the messier it will become
Most of us if not all love Bev let’s keep it that way

Most if not all want to see Bev leave on good terms and seeing him off in a deserving manner

The longer the inevitable drags on the messier it will become

We most of not all love Bev let’s keep it that way

It’s not all supporters thankfully but I guess I’m just uncomfortable with some of the vitriol. He’s an AFL coach, not a murderer.

I get your point but we beat 3/4 preliminary finalists last year.

The problem wasn’t our upside. It was totally crapping the bed against bottom four sides.
Face it we played them at the right time.

Brisbane win was deserved but they have always been doo doo away from their capital. Carlton were in garbage losing streak mode same goes for the GWS game. Collingwood, who were the only ones actually in form, controlled the whole game.

Is this a wind-up? It’s his list and he’s absolutely butchering it.

The biggest knock on Bevo is his inability to get clear structures both at the back and up forward. We’ve endured 7 years of three Bulldogs leaping at the same footy while nobody has the foresight to crumb. It’s not one or two players who are the culprits, it’s been dozens of them over the last few years.

You look at the easy goals other teams get. Co-ordinated leading patterns to generate space for an each other.

Down back, look at the Dees and Geelong how they block for each other, protect the drop of the ball and allow one person to go for the mark.

I don’t expect us to be the very best at every aspect of the game, but I do expect something a little more thought out than the all-out chaos we’ve employed for years on end.

‘He’s handling it well enough’

My bloody arse!

The rest of it is quite separate to that.

Please read what I wrote. Your opinion is so important to me.
I can accept the argument that the forwards spoiling each other is something that hasn't been effectively addressed and that he bares some responsibility for that. Not all, because personal responsibility of the players themselves is also a factor. And the Saints game illustrated that it is within their capabilities to not spoil each other all the time and yet they continue to do so most of the time. Part of it is also the way we go I50. Dump kicks in particular. It encourages a gathering of a pack under the ball.

I guess there is a balance between the responsibility of the coach and the responsibility of the players themselves. The responsibility of the coach gets a more significant airing. A new coach might be part of the solution but not the solution in and of itself.

One thing that really disappoints me is the view that it's the coaches sole responsibility to inspire the troops and that there are no other avenues of inspiration. We have had Bont and Libba busting their respective arses for years now, every game, all the time. The self sacrifice! The professionalism! How do so many of the other players not find that inspiring, to do for Bont and Libba what what Bont and Libba do for them? I've found that to be extremely disappointing.

I think a new voice will be needed from the end of this season and that it should be signalled before that point. However, a lot of players need to have a good hard look at themselves and I think it's too late for a few of them and they won't be given that opportunity to reflect on an AFL list .... like Bevo.

Personally I’m feeling pretty uncomfortable with the way Luke is being treated by the media and some of our own supporters. The guy loves the club and his players. Does he have some shortcomings? Of course he does. Has he reached the end of the road with us? Potentially, yes. Does he deserve to be shown some respect? Very big yes in my opinion.

Maybe he should of read the room and resigned then?

I just went to the official club website and I saw someone with some hyphenated surname saying they backed the players to improve their consistency.

First of all I want to who this new expert is, I have never seen or heard of them before.

Second, tell them yes but it has to be good consistency. I think they missed that, it is easy to do.

I feel like we are well placed for a rebuild if it eventuates. We've got a pick 1, pick 2 and pick 6 in the team already so it shouldn't take too long to get going again.

I get your point but we beat 3/4 preliminary finalists last year.

The problem wasn’t our upside. It was totally crapping the bed against bottom four sides.
It took 2 floggings to get a response against Brisbane in Round 3. Carlton were on a stretch of a 7 game losing streak and GWS had won 3 out of 7 when they beat them. Those prelim finalists weren't exactly in the greatest of the form when the Dogs beat them.

I'm pretty sure I made this point last week but BF is like a goldfish going around a bowl. Everything from last week is forgotten and we're destined to repeat it all again ... and again ...

A Whipping Boy is not a bad person. He's just a player who in the eyes of the fans has been picked to play above his true level for too long.

A coach is a special case of a Whipping Boy. Unlike a player he can't be dropped and disappear from sight from one week to the next. We are stuck with him. The itch that can't be scratched.

Bevo has done some great things in his tenure. One of those things in particular has made him an immortal of the club. His only crime now is to have been kept in the job too long. Yes, you could perhaps blame him for not walking away, but the primary responsibility must lie with the people at the club who hire and fire coaches.

Sadly the whipping boy is made to pay for the sins of the invisible Match Committee.
And the coach-for-too-long is vilified for the sins of the invisible Board/CEO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It took 2 floggings to get a response against Brisbane in Round 3. Carlton were on a stretch of a 7 game losing streak and GWS had won 3 out of 7 when they beat them. Those prelim finalists weren't exactly in the greatest of the form when the Dogs beat them.
They weren’t at their peak, but we were honestly just a lot better in the first half of the season too and fell off a cliff.

The new coach at the end of this season, whoever that might be, has had a good few years to observe who's up for it and who isn't. Who will get going when the going gets tough, and who will fold like a deck of cards.

There will be many casualties at the end of this season.

Well that's a decision you have to get right.

If we'd let someone bid on Croft and had to use a teens first rounder what's the outcome? We get Croft, a pick in the teens and probably Freijah but not Sanders. And we have a first round pick this year .... probably a top 6 pick. So were valuing Sanders at pick 4-6 this year plus a first rounder last year is probably more accurate (2 first rounders).

It's all theoretical at this point of course, but a bird in the hand...

We knew (I mean we all here know, so the Club definitely did) that quality midfield was a necessity.
Macrae struggling. Libba aging (and aging more quickly with every head knock 🤕), Smith a chance to leave.
A high quality mid with pace was an absolute requirement.

There's very little point kicking the can down the road forever. You see an opportunity, you do it.
There might be a great, highly skilled, tough as nails, lightning quick mid in the top 7 or 8 picks this year...and there might not be one as good as Sanders.

Tough call, but no regret from me (especially looking at the picks around and after Croft).

The new coach at the end of this season, whoever that might be, has had a good few years to observe who's up for it and who isn't. Who will get going when the going gets tough, and who will fold like a deck of cards.

There will be many casualties at the end of this season.

Most new coaches won’t cut hard from viewing purely externally, most get a preseason and a season under their belt before cutting

It's all theoretical at this point of course, but a bird in the hand...

We knew (I mean we all here know, so the Club definitely did) that quality midfield was a necessity.
Macrae struggling. Libba aging (and aging more quickly with every head knock 🤕), Smith a chance to leave.
A high quality mid with pace was an absolute requirement.

There's very little point kicking the can down the road forever. You see an opportunity, you do it.
There might be a great, highly skilled, tough as nails, lightning quick mid in the top 7 or 8 picks this year...and there might not be one as good as Sanders.

Tough call, but no regret from me (especially looking at the picks around and after Croft).

Really needed to keep Dunkley, Lipinski and potentially Smith.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back