Game Day AFL Round 2 - Collingwood vs Richmond Matchday Discussion (MCG - 7.20pm)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2017 AFL PREMIERSHIP SEASON
ROUND TWO
COLLINGWOOD vs RICHMOND
THURSDAY 30TH MARCH
7.20PM
MCG

632207_thumb.jpg

BROADCAST GUIDE;
http://www.afl.com.au/tv-radio/broadcastguide

WEATHER;

Forecast;http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/melbourne.shtml
Radar;http://www.bom.gov.au/products/IDR022.loop.shtml#skip

Ultimate Preview from DaVe86

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2017-03-29/fridays-ultimate-preview

The 2017 AFL premiership season is now well and truly underway, with round one throwing up some quite surprising results. Although it is early in the season, there are already a few teams who will be under pressure this week to perform following losses last week.

Collingwood is one of those sides, after a narrow loss to the Western Bulldogs last week. Despite a very valiant effort, there is no doubt that the Magpies had plenty of opportunities to beat the reigning premiers but squandered their chances. Against good sides, you simply can’t make that many mistakes.

The Magpies face a rejuvenated Richmond that is side fresh off a 43-point win over Carlton last week. Led by an inspired effort from Dustin Martin, the Tigers looked far more attacking and confident with the football. After a year to forget in 2016, the Tigers look to have had a strong pre-season and look to be playing a more instinctive style of game this year.

The match will be built up by some externally as a battle between two high profile coaches, and both would be hoping for very strong starts. Collingwood can’t afford to start the season with two consecutive losses, particularly with Sydney to come next week. On the other hand, Richmond has an opportunity to kick off the season with two straight victories. Clearly there is plenty on the line for both teams. The competition is incredibly even, and every win counts for so much.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/2017-03-29/fridays-ultimate-preview

TEAMS;

COLLINGWOOD;

170329_team620a.jpg

RICHMOND;

TIGERS

B: A. Rance, D. Astbury, D. Grimes

HB: R. Conca, B. Houli, B. Ellis

C: D. Prestia, S. Edwards, S. Grigg

HF: D. Rioli, B. Griffiths, D. Butler

F: D. Martin, J. Riewoldt, J. Castagna

FOL: T. Nankervis, T. Cotchin, J. Caddy

I/C: N. Vlastuin, B. Lennon, J. Short, K. Lambert

EMG: I. Maric, A. Miles, T. Hunt

IN: K. Lambert, B. Lennon, J. Short

OUT: T. Hunt, S. Lloyd, K. McIntosh

GO PIES.:):thumbsu:

Thanks for the clarification. Is that Kirby dominating Cotchin?
You wouldn't even see the legs if it was Cotchin.

I really have no idea what to expect from tonight.. I really don't wanna give up on the season after round friggen 2 if we don't win given our tough draw.. the boys should be frenetic tonight.. its an absolute must win!!!

Unfortunately it is a bit like that. If they don't get it done tonight it's hard to see where the first W will come from.

I liked the changes and we just have to win.

Pies by 12.

Not confident.

Neither am I.

Daicos as an emergency gives me hope we see a last minute "soreness" for Blair.

Look at it this way, we are GOING to leak goals. It's what we do, it's what we're famous for. We're the club that loves to give and help out other clubs. We boost their coffers via home game deals, we give them premierships, we give them free goals they don't have to work for. We're a club that gives.

But, it's Richmond. If we can dominate the clearances the way we did against the Bulldogs, I don't see Richmond being good enough to not be overwhelmed by it. But, that's a big if. That's the first time I've seen us legitimately dominate the clearances in 5 seasons under Buckley.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Must say I'm fascinated by Daicos being named as an emergency. I'm supposing its by way of an 'encouragement award', rather than the kid being in serious contention. Surely?

It can't be an encouragement award.. very unprofessional if it were. He's in contention.

Must say I'm fascinated by Daicos being named as an emergency. I'm supposing its by way of an 'encouragement award', rather than the kid being in serious contention. Surely?
Actually looking at our list, I think what with injuries, suspension to Varcoe, and newbies, and players still not ready, the stocks to pick are a bit thin.

There are not that many quite ready if you go through player by player.

Eg Langdon, wills, wells, etc

Serious question:

In the EPL teams are named an hr or 2 before the game.. and any changes made after the teams are named.. well you have to use one of your 3 substitutes. The fact that teams are named just before the game makes the game more interesting.

Why is it that teams in the afl are basically named 24 hrs before the game starts.. and are allowed to make late changes without any resultant sanction.. or do they get sanctioned.

Part of the mystique of football should be clubs playing the guessing game as to what the opposition are going to put on the park.. not giving each club the opportunity to prepare for it 24 hrs before hand.

If teams are announced 1 or 2 hrs before the game i definetely feel as though it would make for a more interesting game. As opposed to teams plotting and deceiving the opposition with bs late changes.

I just think it's a major flaw in the rules.. pretty shocked that it hasn't been adressed.

Please excuse semantics.. i don't proof read my posts.. type as i go along.

Neither.

Three emergencies are named every week and only one of them usually gets a call up.

He's not likely to be in real contention given our two ins are mid-forwards

Say if Richmond named a big tall in their defence in anticipation that we'll name Cox in our side.. and an hr or 2 before the game starts the teams are announced.. and we haven't included Cox.. well wouldn't that make for a more interesting game of football?

If teams are announced an hr or 2 before the game starts.. well that means they're all fit and ready to go.. if late changes are made.. well the rule should be that you have to sacrifice one of your 4 interchange positions. Unless there are exceptional circumstances surrounding the decision to make the late change.. then teams should line up as they are named.

I just think it's absolutely ridiculous teams are announced 24 hrs before the game.. clubs take adv of the loopholein the rule.. it aint fair game at all.

Neither.

Three emergencies are named every week and only one of them usually gets a call up.

He's not likely to be in real contention given our two ins are mid-forwards

Say Pendlebury head butted the wall warming up in the changing rooms and was severely concussed.. and Sidebottom broke his thumb on the goal post warming up before the game.. then Daics will come in.

You just don't name players as emergencies so their names sit pretty on paper.

Nah pre game late changes are all part of the theatre.

But if you want to try and pull a swifty (eg brining cox in at the last minute) you would want to be damn sure about it. Personally if you brought him in because you thought Richmond were undersized it would be a big mistake as we'd be sacrificing even more mobility, exactly the reason he was dropped in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back