Autopsy Positives and Negatives vs GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair point. You still need to draft well if you are going down that track though. And they are no chance of making the ECF next season. Would be stoked to make the playoffs.

This is the thing (moving away from the NBA now) - people lament our drafting and ability to develop, which is largely fair. Then the same people say strip the team and trade everything that's remotely of value for draft picks so we can completely rebuild.

Sentiment of "we're not winning a flag in JK/NN/Shuey's career so sell them off and start from scratch".

There's just no track record of that approach working without insane luck in the draft, and we are not a club that has built traditionally well in the draft. The best thing we got in return for Chris Judd was more or less considered steak knives at the time, I have no faith a Nic Nat haul would be utilised correctly.

positives

mitchell jetta and petrie played their hearts out
sheed got better as the game went on

negatives

lecras - absolutely selfish costed us three goals easily. pull the pin

butler - three significant errors resulted in goals or inside 50s. pull the pin

biggest negative hands down priddis. the game has gone past him yet acts like he still controls that midfield. i will have utmost respect for you matt if you call the quits next week because you wont be winning that elusive premiership

This is the thing (moving away from the NBA now) - people lament our drafting and ability to develop, which is largely fair. Then the same people say strip the team and trade everything that's remotely of value for draft picks so we can completely rebuild.

Sentiment of "we're not winning a flag in JK/NN/Shuey's career so sell them off and start from scratch".

There's just no track record of that approach working without insane luck in the draft, and we are not a club that has built traditionally well in the draft. The best thing we got in return for Chris Judd was more or less considered steak knives at the time, I have no faith a Nic Nat haul would be utilised correctly.
Agreed. Would be insane to trade them off. We don't stay down the bottom for long in our history. I think our list can be turned around fairly quickly.

Living in Sydney if I was in Perth I would campaign fans to boycott next game at Domain lets face it send a strong message to these dickheads that they are on the nose including nice man Simmo who keeps saying "We've learn't" after each loss!!
Not for us members who pay through the nose.

Similar I reckon.

Too many deficiencies in the team to ignore.

I agree the team currently has deficiencies that can't be ignored, some will optimistically will get fixed by next season and others may take longer.

1. Non dominant rucks - 2018 we get NicNat and Lycett back.
  2. Slow midfield - Priddis retires, Masten is trade replaced by Nelson and Partington / Rioli / Venebles.
  3. Forward line - Le cras retires, replaced by McGovern Jnr.
  4. Trade in Matera to add further pace / defensive effort.
  5. Throw cash at Johansen or Motlop as a FA to add more pace, goal kicking, midfield support, x factor.
  6. Cole in phased in, Butler out (thanks for the memories).
MacKenzie moves on as a FA free's up cap space for Motlop or Johansen.

Team

B: Shepperd Barrass Hurn
HB: Yeo McGov Snr Wellingham
C: Gaff Mitchell Cripps
HR: McGov Jnr Darling Motlop
F: Rioli Kennedy Matera Seriously that forward six would have opposition sh!tting bricks.

Ruck: NN, Shuey, Sheed / Nelson

Int: Jetta, Partington, Lycett, Nelson / Venables

EMG: Cole, Duggan, Vardy, Hill, Schofield, Mutimer, Watson, Allen, Redden (if not traded / delist),

Red are players with pace......not plodders.

Mini rebuild complete, keep our first round pick and develop him along with Venables, Waterman, Rotham, Watson, Mutimer.

Out: Priddis, Butler, Masten, Lamb, Le cras, MacKenzie, Hutchings.

Last edited:
What was mitchell doing going wide to jetta in the last play?

All i can think is theres instructions to give it to jetta at all costs and it was taken too literally.

No issue with hurn going 35 out to mitch from the kickout as - well you would think it would be in safe hands and thats how we train - kick it to mitchell and he plays on to get the ball moving.
Hurn to mitch to jetta, sounds like the perfect setup however jetta just wasnt in a dangerous position so the wrong decision was made

We blew it ...the umps were OK today.
Agree with the post, could even point out more instances of poor decision making than that but the two can co-exist, we can be s**t AND have bad umpiring. There was also a Priddis HTB with no prior opportunity. I'm not saying everything is hunky-dory, we didn't deserve the win by a long shot and I'm almost glad they lost in a sinister sort of way because it should never have been that close and they didn't deserve it.

I got sassed saying lecras and mutimer had kicked the same amount of goals over the last 3 weeks and being wrong. They have the same over 4 weeks now. Karpany has 1.
Time to move on these guys. They have been good servants for the club but we need some fresh legs

Sheed was our best mid today after a good performance last week and he's only just turned 22. The last 2 guys I can think of who were as good as young were Shuey & Gaff. Gives me hope Sheed has a higher ceiling than first thought.

I have been getting frustrated with Butler this season, too often he just doesn't go hard enough or avoids contact and it results in the opposition getting easy possession. He's making more mistakes with ball in hand now too.

Gawd i think its the loss we needed to have.

We arent papering over any cracks

We lost to 16th because 16th has a better midfield than us.

Our backline is goddamned amazing - if it wasnt for them we would be 16th.

START BUILDING A NEW MIDFIELD.

Priddis to not leave perth.

Lets find out who cuts it in the guts - not on the ff - in the guts.

As for poor old darling - a potential aa hff being played as a kpp and is getting towelled up by bigger men every week has completely lost all confidence.

What a surprise

Were the dickheads
The west coast dickheads
And youre here to play this spot
Even if youuuuuuuu
Play somewhere different
We will ruin you
In another slot.

duggan been bad for so long and the fact he's still getting games shows how poor our drafting has been in recent years. He's a waste of a first rounder.
On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I agree with most of your post and no doubt on what he is contributing, he could easily be dropped but people need to remember that it wasnt so long ago that similar complaints were being made about Sheed and Nelson etc. I am really not sure where Duggan is being played but it seems he is being played out of position as he is floating around not impacting. He needs to be in the guts or off the half back line in my view. Regardless, I still believe he will come good when give more responsibility and he develops and I think we and he will be better for it next year if we keep giving him games. Not having a go at you at all as on form, he is definitely ripe for being dropped, but just commenting that people want to drop the old guys who obviously aren't taking us to a flag but then don't have the patience with the youth.

Just going to rant

What a flat game that was, completely devoid of any hunger whatsoever. Gotta thank the players for the absolute chore that was to watch. There is absolutely no reason to tune in and watch this team with no NN or JK. Maybe Gov.

Same old has beens in the ins and outs, same flat trackers who dont offer anything on the road but are seemingly safe in the side. Get one of the young guys in the side to get the 10 possesions the old faithful would have got. Actually no, dont. You would just drop them straight away anyway

Darlings worst game of his career, the dude literally looks like his entire goal in life is to bring the ball to ground. At no point did I feel like he was going to take a contested grab, at no point did I think he would win a contest, it was the good old look like your trying without actually doing anything. Hes actually going to end up with a good career stats wise, but hes going to frustrate us to the end. Time to find a couple of other KPF because Darling is a third tall.

Sad times yesterday when my mouth uttered words I never thought I would ever say. "Kick it to Petrie."

That last 46 seconds makes the least amount of sense yet. Was the fix in or something? Regardless of 45 seconds or 2 minutes to go, bomb it up the middle, your surely not ******* stupid Hurn, you surely dont need a runner to come tell you theres not much time left. Just thinking about this makes me want to punch my TV. And then Sam Mitchell goes wide? WTF?

Also * these 15m kicks into the back pocket off. Watching other teams move the ball so easily out of defense while we kick down the line while praying they knock the ball out of bounds is not a strategy.

And finally because I didnt rant about it last week, who the * approved that facebook post with the "lost the clearances but won the contest" caption with a bunch of irrelevant stats and the final score showing we'd lost. How the * is that winning the contest. Sums up the club at the moment

positives

mitchell jetta and petrie played their hearts out
sheed got better as the game went on

negatives

lecras - absolutely selfish costed us three goals easily. pull the pin

butler - three significant errors resulted in goals or inside 50s. pull the pin

biggest negative hands down priddis. the game has gone past him yet acts like he still controls that midfield. i will have utmost respect for you matt if you call the quits next week because you wont be winning that elusive premiership
disturbing that you have hit the nail on the head. Freebi retirees in the late 30's did more than most

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That last 46 seconds makes the least amount of sense yet. Was the fix in or something? Regardless of 45 seconds or 2 minutes to go, bomb it up the middle, your surely not ******* stupid Hurn, you surely dont need a runner to come tell you theres not much time left. Just thinking about this makes me want to punch my TV. And then Sam Mitchell goes wide? WTF?

If it was round 23, we would be investigated for tanking based on that piece of play. I am not even being facetious - the media would be all over us.

+ Sheed - was fantastic - people need to keep this in mind when thinking of Duggan. It takes some time for youth to come on (although Duggan's form is a worry)
+ Yeo - another very good game
+ Petrie - shames some of our other leaders with his effort, even if he is ancient and not in his prime
+ Jetta - another good game.

- The game plan of corralling and not attacking the ball or player with the ball is truly horrible. On numerous occasions players had the opportunity to make a contest but chose to pull up, allow the opposition to get it and then attempt a "tackle" only to be either run around or for the "tackle" to be broken because they had no body behind it and just loose flailing arms. Not to pot specific players as it applies to most of our team but Gaff comes to mind as does Priddis for not going hard at a marking contest even if the Suns player would have marked it anyway or received a free kick. Until we change our game style, I am not sure how we can swing momentum when things are going against us. Get harder at the ball and man with the ball.
- Unfortunately, for whatever reasons, Priddis' form this year is well down on previous years and he is a liability due to his other deficiencies and our team make up. I have so much respect for the guy and he is a champion of the club but we can't bury out heads about his current form. It seems Simmo is aware of it as he is giving Sheed more time at the coal face etc and playing Priddis in other positions but if he isn't played in the guts, I am not sure he offers much.
- I posted I understood the decision to bring LeCras back and drop Karps with Kennedy out as going with an experienced goal kicker made sense. It still made sense but in hindsight was not a good call.
- I am not sure where we thought our goals were going to come from with Kennedy out as our forward set up and game plan seemed to have no purpose. But that just may have been due to poor form of various forwards.
We have no real choice but to shake things up now as there is no hiding behind we are still in the hunt given the ladder position. We may well be out of the 8 by the end of today and our form is trending down. Some hard decisions need to be made.

Sheed is a beast and for a slight frame is very strong I saw him shrug a few tackles and one was Ablett. Last week Mumford had him lined up but he was composed and got a clear hand pass and was ready to absorb the hit. Tank still needs to get better. I rekon he will still go through patches of form this season but if he could average 23 disposals a game this season, then we have a good player in the making.

Living in Sydney if I was in Perth I would campaign fans to boycott next game at Domain lets face it send a strong message to these dickheads that they are on the nose including nice man Simmo who keeps saying "We've learn't" after each loss!!
#everygameisanawaygame
Id really be interested in what the comments would be if we'd kicked one extra goal in each of the last two games.
I don't think they'd be much different. We were putrid yesterday

I guess had we won we could at least point to the fact that we got the job done in the last and salvaged the 4 points on a bad day

Couldn't even do that though

Not enough hate for that last 45 seconds. We wasted half of the remaining time just getting the ball to a pack situation on the wing. And the two culprits were our captain and a guy recruited for his leadership.

I was seething at that. In a game with so much to dislike the complete and utter lack of urgency from that kick in was infuriating

I got sassed saying lecras and mutimer had kicked the same amount of goals over the last 3 weeks and being wrong. They have the same over 4 weeks now. Karpany has 1.
Time to move on these guys. They have been good servants for the club but we need some fresh legs

As one of the posters that sassed you I have to acknowledge that the selection of Lecras was wrong.

I hope he wasn't 100% fit which would excuse his poor game but then it wouldn't excuse the decision to play him not fully fit

#everygameisanawaygame

I don't think they'd be much different. We were putrid yesterday

I guess had we won we could at least point to the fact that we got the job done in the last and salvaged the 4 points on a bad day

Couldn't even do that though

I was seething at that. In a game with so much to dislike the complete and utter lack of urgency from that kick in was infuriating

As one of the posters that sassed you I have to acknowledge that the selection of Lecras was wrong.

I hope he wasn't 100% fit which would excuse his poor game but then it wouldn't excuse the decision to play him not fully fit

He has been my favourite for years. I cant stand him running around taking glory shots and putting on no pressure atm. Needs a cpl of wafl runs i reckon

But your point about the last few weeks was wrong at the time, Lecras had done a lot more than Mutimer in actually generating shots and using the ball well.

I agree in hindsight it was a bad selection, especially if not properly fit to play.

Id really be interested in what the comments would be if we'd kicked one extra goal in each of the last two games.
We have work to do that what he would have been saying. I like him as coach don't get me wrong just says the same thing every time and we keep realigning out the same errors these back up rucks have not helped but our forward line works at home but the supply and creativeness on the road is poor

After sort of calming down, still rather pissed with what we have dished up the last 3 weeks.

It's a shame the players cannot show the same passion as we do on here, during and after the game, our game day threads show a lot of emotion and some over reactions, i know i can be guilty on times of losing the plot, but for me it's wanting to see the club i love succeed, something we all do. It's a shame the current crop don't seem to feel the same way.

Positives

Sheed, although he needs to work on his goal kicking, i pretty much called his first shot out on the full before he took it.
Jetta- Finally getting him the ball where he does his best work.
Petrie- Pretty sad that a bloke that has played a hand full of games for us, has some fire in his belly compared to a lot of others.

Negatives

Complete lack of heart, we have been copping it from all and sundry about our soft underbelly, yet week in week out we do not come out breathing fire at the start of the game, reminds me a lot of the last years with Woosha.
Leadership, we have zero leadership on the field, the last 47 seconds summed us up beautifully, not one player was prepared to take a risk.
Our recruiting and drafting looks to have been a complete failure of late. We are so far away from being a serious threat in this competition it is frightening.
Game day coaching and team selections have become a joke, we drop Redden replace with Hutchings, a like for like selection because from what i've seen of Hutchings he has done no more than Redden was, terrible team selections week in week out from the match committee. Lecca is cooked but keeps getting a game, and will most likely picked for the game against Geelong. The web is of no use to us anymore, teams have worked it out and pick us apart.

I will always support the club and agree with have had a great time of it in our 30 + years, but for all the money we have, and access to any resource we want we have not really had a consistent run of success at the top except for the early nineties, and what did we have then, a bunch of footballers who were hard and tough and would do whatever it took to win, the current group seems to lack that same mentality.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back