2018 Fixture wish list

Remove this Banner Ad

Suns V North in Cairns round 1 so we're likely to be away. With match ups of Pies V Demons, Bombers V Hawks and Tigers V Blues likely and with Freo and Crows playing away that leaves

WCE
Saints
Dogs
GWS
Swans
Port
Cats

as likely opponents. Doubt we'll get WCE so you can probably cross them out as well.

How is it we start the season away every year? If we are away Round 1 that will be three years in a row and only once in five years have we started a year at home. Nice way to look after a side struggling. Could you imagine that happening to the WA sides or SA sides?

How is it we start the season away every year? If we are away Round 1 that will be three years in a row and only once in five years have we started a year at home. Nice way to look after a side struggling. Could you imagine that happening to the WA sides or SA sides?

To be fair either Carlton or Richmond have to play 'away' first up every season... :rolleyes:

I wonder if it's a club request - playing away first up usually means you have a lower chance of consecutive away games later in the year, same as playing away going into and out of the bye. Consecutive away games suck more for us than most other teams.

I wonder if it's a club request - playing away first up usually means you have a lower chance of consecutive away games later in the year, same as playing away going into and out of the bye. Consecutive away games suck more for us than most other teams.
I could be wrong, but I thought it was more to do with the GABBA unavailability (i.e. delaying the start of footy as much as possible).

I could be wrong, but I thought it was more to do with the GABBA unavailability (i.e. delaying the start of footy as much as possible).

You could be right mate. In Leppa's first year we went all the way to Launceston for round 1. In his last year we went over to Perth in Round 1. If we are to play away in Round 1 would be nice for us Victorian fans to see them play in Melbourne first round.

The Suns are playing North Melbourne in round 1 in Cairns, this could up our chances of getting a home ground round 1 fixture.

Well North will be back home in Round 2 and I fancy we will get the Suns at home after the Commonwealth games finishes. But whoever gets them will be very happy for the exact reasons you described.

I imagine they'd want us hosting the Suns during the Commonwealth games break - it gets them a game without travel in that half of the year when they can't play at home.

Of course, that depends on the AFL thinking about things.

Suns V North in Cairns round 1 so we're likely to be away. With match ups of Pies V Demons, Bombers V Hawks and Tigers V Blues likely and with Freo and Crows playing away that leaves

WCE
Saints
Dogs
GWS
Swans
Port
Cats

as likely opponents. Doubt we'll get WCE so you can probably cross them out as well.

Yep that looks about right, we finish on the bottom in 2017 and 5 of those 'possible' round one teams were 2017 finalists... Onya AFL, you campaigners!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We played round one away last year and I thought the year before last. - thought we’d be due a round 1 home game.

also means whoever we play its not Saturday ngiht as both Queensland teams never play at the same time except qclash obviously

the Shattock shield becomes the Rockcliff rumble

Come on, if we're going down that path we should honour the player who represented both clubs with the longest AFL career...

The Tom Logan Tussle.

Something to do with the Queensland heat, maybe?

Rnd 1 away is because we are locked out of the Gabba for Sheffield shield cricket. Stupid fuggin stick ball bs. I blame Kevin Bloody Mitchell Jnr.

Some teams have had the opportunity to play the Brisbane Lions for premiership points three or even four times in the last couple years and in all that time we haven't even had a single chance. It'd be nice to get even a single game against them in.

Some teams have had the opportunity to play the Brisbane Lions for premiership points three or even four times in the last couple years and in all that time we haven't even had a single chance. It'd be nice to get even a single game against them in.

Almost 40% of our wins in that period have been over the Suns.

dont be surprised if we're also playing away during the actual comm games. With buses pretty much being the main source of transport to venues on the coast, there's going to be a not insignificant public transport shortage in brisbane itself with a lot of buses going down the coast from both brisbane and logan. Still its only really two weekends so won't be a huge issue but i won't be surprised to see us play two consecutive away games on those weekends. Given the broncos play back to back away games during those two weeks I'd say its safe to assume its been requested by the state govt to have no major events on in brisbane those two weekends.

The AFL website has:

MARCH 24
SATURDAY

Hawthorn v Brisbane Lions (MCG) 2.10pm AEST
We were deprived the great psychological exercise of seeing Sam Mitchell against the Hawks last year because of injury, but watching 'Hodgey' running around on the MCG in a traditional Saturday afternoon clash against his beloved Hawks would be a game to see. The Hawks and Lions have met off-Broadway in Tassie the last few years, but not this time. Watching AFL.com.au colleague Nat Edwards fidget her way through this one would be worth the price of admission alone.

Source: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-10-24/round-one-fixture-what-wed-like-to-see

Remove this Banner Ad

Back