Training Pre Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we think either of the Irish guys can make it?
You'd have to think Connellan would be more of a chance than Joyce simply based on background (Gaelic football vs hurling) but both seem to lack ball winning capacity.

Connellan's games late in the season for Sandy as a forward showed that he has a fair bit of goal sense and pressure forward may be his potential spot as he isn't a high possession winner. Scored multiple goals on a few occasions from very low possessions numbers.

You'd have to think Connellan would be more of a chance than Joyce simply based on background (Gaelic football vs hurling) but both seem to lack ball winning capacity.

Connellan's games late in the season for Sandy as a forward showed that he has a fair bit of goal sense and pressure forward may be his potential spot as he isn't a high possession winner. Scored multiple goals on a few occasions from very low possessions numbers.
It is a good sign for Connellan that he was able to play forward as thats something a lot of the Irish guys struggle with.

Bahahahaha

If LeBron played in MJ’s days, he’d have thrown all the toys out of the cot & left the court mid-game crying because you were actually allowed play defence back then

Nah mate.

LBJ would have absolutely dominated that era as well. The bloke is an absolute machine/genius/champion who can redefine himself according the situation/opposition.

Hey hey hey hey - all you guys stop pissing up against the wrong tree and start playing nice, ok? :D:D:D
Yes I agree.

Here's a nice rhyme to lighten the mood...

Old mother Hubbard
Went to the cupboard
To fetch old Rover a bone.

But when she bent over
dirty old Rover
Gave her a bone of his own.

O'Hailpin was a Hurler.
He was handy for keeping rookie players respectful.

Never seen connellan play but an injection of speed and kicking (can he kick?) Would do wonders for our back half...

Similar to that fella McKenna from the bombers who lit it up for them

To make it Connellan really has to be elite in forward pressure.

Doesn’t look like he’ll be a big possession getter, not sure about his skills anyway. Understandable challenge when you weren’t brought up with the game.

Luckily he was drafted because of his rare mix of speed and size. Fwd pressure in the Tipingwuti mould.

Sounds like Weller is having a massive pre season. Looking forward to seeing if he can really bounce back this year.
He sure does look different!

What we really need on top of the young ones having breakout seasons is for guys like Mav and Sav to have career best years as well.

That would really help us to take the next step.

Mav has come back in absolutely ripping shape. I reckon he's lost about 5 kegs, his running has really improved.
Spook's been running PB's since he's been back, this'll be his first real pre-season without any niggling injuries.
JB, Acres, Steele all look good - getting plenty of the pill and look like they've really grown up.
Hugh working himself into the main group and should be going full tilt in next couple weeks.
Armo's joining the main group just before the boys go on break, he has done a bunch of cardio work in the lead up.

I think the clubs public messaging around the improvement of the group coming from the players already in it is working.

Boys are looking fit and working hard. My own personal opinion and a bit out of left field but I reckon Ed Phillips is a good chance to play senior footy consistently next year - kid has a massive tank for someone so young. Looked good.

Couple of players stepping up in a leadership space too - Dunstan is a former SA U18 Captain and is showing some the qualities of that early, and Steele has been impressive in match sim.

Out of everyone out there at the moment the ones I'm looking forward to in 2018 the most are probably Dunstan, Acres, Steele and Billings. I think they are primed for a big year if they keep it up over the summer.

Once Paddy gets back and shows some of his pre injury form I think we'll be in a really healthy position.

Weller's improved running capacity will be a bonus.

Fingers crossed no hiccups!

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-12-12/frank-conversation-leads-to-weller-transformation

Frank conversation leads to Weller transformation

weller3kmTT.jpg

St Kilda forward Mav Weller finished fourth in a recent 3km time-trial at Linen House Centre.

A frank end of season conversation between St Kilda Coach Alan Richardson and Mav Weller prompted the explosive forward to make a big change over the break.

After a frustrating year limited by a lingering ankle issue that prevented him from training consistently and from performing at his peak, Weller has stripped eight kilograms off his frame.

Weller, 25, is confident his body transformation will reduce the impact on his ankle and help him cover the ground easier in 2018.

“Richo and I had a private conversation about it. We just thought there’s no point having it on; it’s a running game these days and you’ve got to be nice and light,” Weller told saints.com.au on Tuesday.

“It just sort of snuck up on me last year. With the ankle injury, I was restricted with what I could do during the week and I ballooned a little bit by doing weights and not too much aerobic fitness and then playing on the weekend. So I probably got a little bit too heavy.

“I had a focus over the break to trim down a little bit and get a bit leaner. Hopefully, it takes a little bit of pressure off my ankle and be able to run a little bit better."

Despite playing 18 games in 2017, Weller didn’t reach the heights he had climbed across his first three years at Linen House Centre and the standard he expects of himself.

With his ankle issues now behind him, the Saints’ leader has made an eye-catching start to the summer, finishing fourth in the 3km time-trial a fortnight ago, as well as setting the tone on the track.

“I struggled with it [ankle injury] to be honest with you, I was battling there for a bit,” he said.

“Being a leader of the footy club and wanting to put my best foot forward and do my bit for the team, and struggling with injuries and also form was difficult.

“Playing through injuries was new to me and I sort of battled through it. I learnt a lot from it. I’m really excited about this season and not looking back too much.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will Long play forward or back do you think ? From what I have gathered he has really spent most time back , although I could be wrong.

Looked good when training with the forwards so I think that's where he will play. If not, on the wing drifting forward. His delivery is up there with Billings on most occasions.

I'd say Billings, Gresh, Mav and Long would be front runners for the fwd 'small' rotating in the mids spots.

Would be great if one of Long or Lonie could step up and make that last small forward spot their own next year, both have the ability to do it but they didn’t take their chances in 2017.

Was a real merry go round in that position last year which didn’t help anyone, and to be honest I don’t want to see Wright or Minch playing senior footy next year barring injuries, they just aren’t good enough. If Lonie doesn’t make it next year then he’s in the same boat unfortunately.

Check out The Roar (AFL)Part2,Article of The Draft including the Saints recruits.
Make sure you read the Comments section-below the article.
Some absolute nobhead comments on there.

For reference for others

http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/12/01/2017-afl-draft-review-part-2-hawthorn-hawks-western-bulldogs/

Just don’t read the comments section. Gotta love people who pot players that are 18 & haven’t even played a game Lol :drunk:

It was mainly that one poster to be fair. Facebook footy in particular tells me there are too many supporters who literally have NFI about football. My favourite is - why do they kick the ball backwards all the time. Effing dimwits!!!

It was mainly that one poster to be fair. Facebook footy in particular tells me there are too many supporters who literally have NFI about football. My favourite is - why do they kick the ball backwards all the time. Effing dimwits!!!
Yeah, most comments seem to be harsh but not unfair. Just that one troll from Geelong who wants us to cry. Poor little lamb.

Article states:
"The Saints have a tendency to draft Vic Country players of good character, and did the same this year, with all except Coffield hailing from Dandenong Stingrays and Murray Bushrangers. The Saints also put a premium on good characters and leadership ability, and again, these players fit that mould."

I know our club 'changed the conversation' by focusing on character and leadership qualities, but I wish we had enough faith in the club's/team's ability to keep any unruliness in check and faith in having enough leaders already that we can make football ability our primary focus. No point in being a great club full of good blokes and leaders who never get near the cup.

No point in me saying any more as it will get flamed , but I agree with one comment that our recruiting hasn't been very ambitious. It's understandable after ******* up so much in the past that we'd vere towards the safe options but I do worry it will leave us short of the extra 10% a premiership team has.

Last edited:
football games (and premierships) these days are won on 22 contributors providing maximum effort. Not on a few stars. I know Dermie talks about needing 5 or 6 elites players in the key positions to win one but I disagree. It’s the median performance of all players including the bottom 6. With out new recruits there’s not much separating 1-22 and I like it. We’ve got the right blueprint!

football games (and premierships) these days are won on 22 contributors providing maximum effort. Not on a few stars. I know Dermie talks about needing 5 or 6 elites players in the key positions to win one but I disagree. It’s the median performance of all players including the bottom 6. With out new recruits there’s not much separating 1-22 and I like it. We’ve got the right blueprint!
In a way I agree. I've always thought that one of this club's weaknesses is our Messiah complex. The reliance on a couple of true elites of the comp (think Baldock, Ditterich, Barker, Harvey, Riewoldt, Acres etc) plus a small supporting gang of club guns to paper over the cracks of a lower than average supporting cast. That old chestnut of a team of champions rather than a champion team.

Well we've gone to the other end of the spectrum this time and it seems we really are trying to build a champion team. But there's no short cuts because there's more than individual talent involved in a champion team, it's seeing how certain players work together and cover each other when needed. It's pushing the players around you to improve and letting them push you. It's empowering the players outside the golden circle, be it the bottom 6 of the first 22 or the VFL regulars, to be more than role players.

So yes, I'm contradicting my previous post. I think in that regard we're going great so far, and it doesn't surprise me that the media and oppo fans underrate us because they are used to looking for the out and out stars. Dangerwood, The Bont, Buddy, GAJ etc. We don't have any yet (GOAT klaxon)

Nevertheless, I suppose I sometimes wonder if we aren't missing a bit of stardust that can do the impossible when the very difficult just isn't enough.

TL:DR, I do in fact prefer our current team model, but we'll still need plenty of our team to realise their full potential for it to work out for us, or find that stardust from somewhere.

Last edited:
I think in that regard we're going great so far, and it doesn't surprise me that the media and oppo fans underrate us because they are used to looking for the out and out stars. Dangerwood, The Bont, Buddy, GAJ etc. We don't have any yet (GOAT klaxon)

The 2018 Brownlow Medalist saluting the media after playing in the winning Grand Final team.
6DE3D852-2D8C-469A-B3AC-2E580ACBF616.jpeg

In a way I agree. I've always thought that one of this club's weaknesses is our Messiah complex. The reliance on a couple of true elites of the comp (think Baldock, Ditterich, Barker, Harvey, Riewoldt, Acres etc) plus a small supporting gang of club guns to paper over the cracks of a lower than average supporting cast. That old chestnut of a team of champions rather than a champion team.

Well we've gone to the other end of the spectrum this time and it seems we really are trying to build a champion team. But there's no short cuts because there's more than individual talent involved in a champion team, it's seeing how certain players work together and cover each other when needed. It's pushing the players around you to improve and letting them push you. It's empowering the players outside the golden circle, be it the bottom 6 of the first 22 or the VFL regulars, to be more than role players.

So yes, I'm contradicting my previous post. I think in that regard we're going great so far, and it doesn't surprise me that the media and oppo fans underrate us because they are used to looking for the out and out stars. Dangerwood, The Bont, Buddy, GAJ etc. We don't have any yet (GOAT klaxon)

Nevertheless, I suppose I sometimes wonder if we aren't missing a bit of stardust that can do the impossible when the very difficult just isn't enough.

TL:DR, I do in fact prefer our current team model, but we'll still need plenty of our team to realise their full potential for it to work out for us, or find that stardust from somewhere.

I LOVE that you've included Acres in your list of " true elites of the comp" - holding fingers and toes that the GOAT does indeed become one :D:):p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back