The Windy Apple
AFL Club
Essendon
As in the title.

The only real contenders are:
Essendon and Carlton - 16 premierships
Collingwood - 15 Premierships
Hawthorn - 13 Premierships

Can Essendon or Carlton win one before Collingwood wins two or Hawthorn wins 4?

Carlton or Essendon.

Essendon the front runners, but I think their list is thin, but given the evenness of the comp at the moment, they could miraculously jag one. Carlton are building a quality list, but are still quite a few years away from genuinely contending, but I feel that what they are building is definitely capable of a flag or two.

Pies miles away.

Hawks even further away.

If Hawthorn can match Kennett's vision, then we might be able to get there. Obviously that is what I want to happen and we'll get there in the next 10-20 years, but can we do it before the other teams reach the target?

Can't see the Pies winning two before either Carlton or Essendon win one.

Probably would be Carlton in 3-4 years on the basis of the young team they are putting together.
Essendon has recruited well over the past couple of seasons, but is it enough? Personally i don't think so.

Hawthorn are perhaps the biggest example of a "winning culture" in all of professional Australian sport so I feel inclined to back them. Crazy to think in 1970, Collingwood had 13 premierships, Melbourne had 12 premierships and to a lesser extent Richmond had 7 premierships and Hawthorn had won just one premiership. In 2017, they've overtaken Melbourne (stuck on 12), Richmond (11) and are approaching Collingwood (15) and have 13 premierships themselves.

Can they win four premierships before Carlton/Essendon win one though? Essendon will win a 17th flag before Carlton and Collingwood, not sure about Hawthorn though.

Hawthorn are perhaps the biggest example of a "winning culture" in all of professional Australian sport so I feel inclined to back them. Crazy to think in 1970, Collingwood had 13 premierships, Melbourne had 12 premierships and to a lesser extent Richmond had 7 premierships and Hawthorn had won just one premiership. In 2017, they've overtaken Melbourne (stuck on 12), Richmond (11) and are approaching Collingwood (15) and have 13 premierships themselves.

Can they win four premierships before Carlton/Essendon win one though? Essendon will win a 17th flag before Carlton and Collingwood, not sure about Hawthorn though.

In the 93 Premierships between 1897 and 1990, Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood played in 73 seasons deciders, or 79% of all deciders.
From 1991 to 2017, the same 3 teams have been involved in just 8 grand finals, or just 31% of the grand finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do we still include flags Essendon won while in breach of the salary cap in their total ?
Yeah coz we beat a side in breach of the cap in the Grand Final. :)

Do we still include flags where the Dogs got gifted a 4 goal advantage by the umpires in the Grand Final in their total?

You seem to be a bit of a slow bowler so I will leave you with a win in your head;)
Huh? You put up a nonsensical suggestion. I was just trying to understand why.

Hawks are a bit further back but from your list I'll chose them (inb4 Dons 'fairytale after the saga flag' gifted by the AFL like Dogs and Tigers flags)

Poor Geelong always robbed of victory!

Back