Opinion 2018 Non-Crows Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As long as your wife is just checking on the House Life Insurance, and not yours .....my wife is constantly asking me about my Life Insurance & solicitor details ? .....should i be worried ?
Nope, specifically my life insurance.

Yes be afraid.

Yeah, no it doesn’t. It continues in person. And while I agree with you it’s easy to turn off social media.... for US (who didn’t grow up with it), it’s a form of social connection for the younger generations. You hate the bullying, but if you aren’t connected you have absolutely no way of belonging.
So what you are saying is that it is ok to be connected to Social Media 24/7?

To be honest I do know I have a bit to learn in this space. I have a five month old, first child. Between my wife and I we are still formulating our ideas on how we would like our son to interact with Social Media.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Nope, specifically my life insurance.

Yes be afraid.
giphy.gif

So what you are saying is that it is ok to be connected to Social Media 24/7?

To be honest I do know I have a bit to learn in this space. I have a five month old, first child. Between my wife and I we are still formulating our ideas on how we would like our son to interact with Social Media.

We had a plan with social media too... and to be honest, our son never really took interest. Once he turned 13 he could have a facebook page and instagram, but we had to be able to access both. He hardly ever used facebook except to wish his cousins happy birthday. Now he’s in year 12, he’s using it more - but more of a chat page for his various school sporting teams. And we have a rule in the house, no internet or tv access in the bedroom for him which means all of his on-line and tv viewing activity happens in the family room. We have friends who let their kids have computers, tv’s and phones in the bedroom, and they often complain the kids were up til all hours texting friends and they hardly ever see them. We simply don’t have that problem.

Yeah, no it doesn’t. It continues in person. And while I agree with you it’s easy to turn off social media.... for US (who didn’t grow up with it), it’s a form of social connection for the younger generations. You hate the bullying, but if you aren’t connected you have absolutely no way of belonging.

I'm sure bullying still happens face to face, just like it has always occurred - I dealt with a heap of crap in high school but I know that isn't a unique case at all

I just don't understand though why I never really hear about people turning off their social media profiles if they are getting bullied - it's like it's somehow not an option

and yeah I don't have kids and I know your boys are right in that age bracket and it will be difficult navigating that arena as they no doubt don't want to feel left out, but it just seems so obvious to me though...

I'm sure bullying still happens face to face, just like it has always occurred - I dealt with a heap of crap in high school but I know that isn't a unique case at all

I just don't understand though why I never really hear about people turning off their social media profiles if they are getting bullied - it's like it's somehow not an option

and yeah I don't have kids and I know your boys are right in that age bracket and it will be difficult navigating that arena as they no doubt don't want to feel left out, but it just seems so obvious to me though...
Bullies are persistent though, you switch off social media and you get bullied for that. In young Dolly's case she was a boarder, and was bullied for being different. My cousins, who knew her quite well, also suffered the same fate but unlike Dolly were able to come to our house and other family to escape it.

By "Not being able to escape it" I think her parents mean she got bullied in person and online. She copped it from both fronts and had nowhere to go for help unlike my cousins.

Social media has made bullying much easier sadly.

Back in the day there used to be this show that instructed parents on how to raise a family through the trials and tribulations of the kids growing up.

Obviously, this was before social media but one of the children, whom was named Peter, was being bullied at school. It came to the attention of his mother Carol, who told her husband Mike about what was happening to Peter.

Now, Mike could have told Peter to ignore the bully, he could have told him to tell his teacher but Mike, was a little old school. He took Peter out to the shed and with Peters two brothers, Greg and Bobby looking on, put some gloves on him and taught him a simple fact, a bully that is unconscious in the school playground with a broken nose, won't bully you.

Without a montage of Peter slowly getting better at boxing, he was simply taught how to step into his opponent or bully as the case may be and deliver a right hook. Next day at school, the bully started on Peter and even though Peter closed his eyes when he delivered a sweet hook to the bullies nose, he connected...and put the bully on his arse.

Now, this show went for like seven years and I can't remember a follow up episode where Peter got bullied, so it must of worked.

Edit: Actually it was a left hook, Peter was a bloody southpaw, so hard to see their hook coming as you don't expect someone to fight dirty like that ( left handed)

Back in the day there used to be this show that instructed parents on how to raise a family through the trials and tribulations of the kids growing up.

Obviously, this was before social media but one of the children, whom was named Peter, was being bullied at school. It came to the attention of his mother Carol, who told her husband Mike about what was happening to Peter.

Now, Mike could have told Peter to ignore the bully, he could have told him to tell his teacher but Mike, was a little old school. He took Peter out to the shed and with Peters two brothers, Greg and Bobby looking on, put some gloves on him and taught him a simple fact, a bully that is unconscious in the school playground with a broken nose, won't bully you.

Without a montage of Peter slowly getting better at boxing, he was simply taught how to step into his opponent or bully as the case may be and deliver a right hook. Next day at school, the bully started on Peter and even though Peter closed his eyes when he delivered a sweet hook to the bullies nose, he connected...and put the bully on his arse.

Now, this show went for like seven years and I can't remember a follow up episode where Peter got bullied, so it must of worked.

Edit: Actually it was a left hook, Peter was a bloody southpaw, so hard to see their hook coming as you don't expect someone to fight dirty like that ( left handed)
My parents, well dad at least, must have watched that docco.

I understand Peter later visited the courts on a related domestic violence case

The-Subject-as-Noses-the-brady-bunch-8777982-500-333.jpg

This is how I see it.

But I guess my view may change as my son gets older.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a parent of older teenagers, social media is farkked. Bullied when online, FOMO when they are not on. Bullied in person for not being part of it the night before.
The only advice I can give parents of young ones, resist putting a device in their hands as long as you can.
My kids school made that near impossible for me.

I grew up in a day when you could stick up for yourself, society has taken that away from them now..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My actual plan (and I realise execution is harder than theory) Is to just keep them aware that there is a big world and more to life than school/social media. But as I said I have toddlers and the complexity of emotions and teenagers isn't my reality yet. The theory is that with a release valve they can pivot away if needed.

As Parent Of Older Kids and grandkids, Trust is the biggest thing you need to work on. You need your Kids to trust one of you good enough to talk to you when things are not going well. If they can talk to you half the battle won. As a grandparent, I have a bigger advantage, because I don't see them every day, the changes in there personalities and behaviours are easier to spot.

The next part is how to stop the bullying.
Physical bullying can be an easy fix, I taught my Kids Martial Arts, and along with other team events they had a network of friends around them. and there was a strong emphasis on the need to help others, against Bullying. Again you have to listen and understand your kids.

Social Media is the hard one. from experience, you have to make an environment where they will talk to you.
But more importantly, you also must learn how to Look, Listen and Feel the signs. If you think something amiss never be afraid to investigate.
PS listening and understanding does not always mean agreeing with them, they have to learn right from wrong.

But remember Bullying is not just a kids domain.

As Parent Of Older Kids and grandkids, Trust is the biggest thing you need to work on. You need your Kids to trust one of you good enough to talk to you when things are not going well. If they can talk to you half the battle won. As a grandparent, I have a bigger advantage, because I don't see them every day, the changes in there personalities and behaviours are easier to spot.

The next part is how to stop the bullying.
Physical bullying can be an easy fix, I taught my Kids Martial Arts, and along with other team events they had a network of friends around them. and there was a strong emphasis on the need to help others, against Bullying. Again you have to listen and understand your kids.

Social Media is the hard one. from experience, you have to make an environment where they will talk to you.
But more importantly, you also must learn how to Look, Listen and Feel the signs. If you think something amiss never be afraid to investigate.
PS listening and understanding does not always mean agreeing with them, they have to learn right from wrong.

But remember Bullying is not just a kids domain.
Really good approach. I've seen families where the kids have there heads screwed on really well, but they can't say anything to the overly strict parents, and they spiral out of control.

You can ban technologies and the like all you want, but if the kids can't talk to parenta about their issues; drugs, alcohol, confiding in (likely) bad influences are all on the table.

Kids don't want drama when they talk to there parents, they want guidance and assurity.

How about they just pi** off out of the SANFL and leave the 8 real Clubs there to compete equitably and have a proper competition.
Any Port Magpies lol team in the SANFL would still have a huge leg up on the other 8 clubs due to things like access to 1st class development, support staff, amenities, facilities, no financial problems, player salary cap payments easily hidden by paying players under the many guises available within the AFL Club system etc etc
Let the SANFL settle to what it should be - a grass roots community competition - it doesn't matter if it is 2nd or 3rd tier or 4th tier nor whether crowds are low, those people still interested will support their club.

Well it might leave my Redlegs as the oldest SANFL club probably or is another club older than 140 years other than Port Adelaide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back