Aug 4, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Curry
Harden
James
Durant
Davis

In a 7 game series, would the best team you could make of any players from any era defeat this team?

Last edited:

The team you have would be basically unstoppable offensively, but defensively not great. Particularly if Durant is forced to defend 80s/90s PF.

PG - Stockton
SG - MJ
SF - Pippen
PF - Malone
C - Shaq

PG - Penny Hardaway(before his leg issues)
SG - MJ
SF - Garnett
PF - Malone
C - Shaq

Garnett is a bit young there. Penny (before his leg issues) was in 96, Garnett was a rookie.

He's also not a SF.
Not wanting to get too into it but Garnett played predominantly SF in his first two seasons and would be one of the few capable of defending Lebron...

Not wanting to get too into it but Garnett played predominantly SF in his first two seasons and would be one of the few capable of defending Lebron...

Fair enough on the SF thing. I really don't know and I based it on that he had played 1% at SF in his career since 2000 (when they started the stat) and was listed as a PF in his rookie season.

Having said that I think LeBron absolutely destroys a 19 year old Kevin Garnett. Scottie is definitely the guy to play in that spot on your team. Scottie was at his peak in that period and is a lot better than 19 year old Garnett (even though Garnett had a better career).

I don't hate your Hardaway pick though. Guy was amazing pre injury.

Fair enough on the SF thing. I really don't know and I based it on that he had played 1% at SF in his career since 2000 (when they started the stat) and was listed as a PF in his rookie season.

Having said that I think LeBron absolutely destroys a 19 year old Kevin Garnett. Scottie is definitely the guy to play in that spot on your team. Scottie was at his peak in that period and is a lot better than 19 year old Garnett (even though Garnett had a better career).

I don't hate your Hardaway pick though. Guy was amazing pre injury.
Scotties always been a fave for me, after the demise of the Bulls I followed the Blazers purely coz he was there! Pretty tough to pick a SF from any era that could defend Lebron, hence the Garnett suggestion. I think his length could contain him to a certain extent down low but Scottie would be the choice to defend him on the perimetre...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The team you have would be basically unstoppable offensively, but defensively not great. Particularly if Durant is forced to defend 80s/90s PF.

PG - Stockton
SG - MJ
SF - Pippen
PF - Malone
C - Shaq

I would actually put Olajuwon in as the 4 on that squad. (I also have to resist the urge of saying 90's Robinson over 90's Shaq - and either Robinson or Olajuwon at their peaks are more versatile offensively and defensively than Malone - but its clearly a good problem to have).

Having said that, not sure you can go past the 80's team of:
Magic
Jordan
Bird
McHale/Barkley/Malone
Abdul Jabbar

You could even start Thomas at the point and play Magic at the 4... would be perfect for 2010's bball.

Youve basically got 4 of the top 6 or 7 all time in that starting 5. (Though an older Kareem, but still very good for most of the 80s)

I would actually put Olajuwon in as the 4 on that squad. (I also have to resist the urge of saying 90's Robinson over 90's Shaq - and either Robinson or Olajuwon at their peaks are more versatile offensively and defensively than Malone - but its clearly a good problem to have).

Magic
Jordan
Bird
McHale/Barkley/Malone
Abdul Jabbar

You could even start Thomas at the point and play Magic at the 4... would be perfect for 2010's bball.

Youve basically got 4 of the top 6 or 7 all time in that starting 5. (Though an older Kareem, but still very good for most of the 80s)

I'm surprised an 80s team hadn't come up earlier.

Magic
Jordan
Bird
McHale/Barkley/Malone
Abdul Jabbar

Ridiculous team. So in answer to the OP, easily. And it would be a sweep

Ridiculous team. So in answer to the OP, easily. And it would be a sweep

Gotta lol when someone says "it would be a sweep". No two great teams going against each other ends in a sweep. Particularly when if going line by line, one team has the better player in 2 of the spots (SF, PF). And before you say Malone is better than Durant. You are probably right. But in 1986 or so (when I imagine this team was picked for), Malone wasn't that great at that time of his career.

And I'd make a good case for current Davis being better than 86 Kareem.

Curry would give Magic all sorts of problems as well.

I mean the Bulls (GOAT time of all time) couldn't even sweep a 50 win Hornets team. Sweeping aint easy.

This would be a great series. Could go either way.

What rules are we playing?

Because if we're playing 80/90's bully ball then...yeah...it wouldn't be pretty for the OP's team.

OPs starting 5 would be fine in the 80s, 90s or 00s.

And, go and actually watch an 80s game. It's benefited greatly from the fact hardly any games made it to TV. It's how legends are born. "It was so tough back then". Not really.

Magic would have all sorts of issues with Curry.

I'll give you 90s was harder. But in saying that, all OPs players would be perfectly fine in that era. And if we are playing any of the years 95, 96 or 97, imagine what Steph, Harden and KD do with the 22 foot 3 point line!

OPs starting 5 would be fine in the 80s, 90s or 00s.

And, go and actually watch an 80s game. It's benefited greatly from the fact hardly any games made it to TV. It's how legends are born. "It was so tough back then". Not really.

Magic would have all sorts of issues with Curry.

I'll give you 90s was harder. But in saying that, all OPs players would be perfectly fine in that era. And if we are playing any of the years 95, 96 or 97, imagine what Steph, Harden and KD do with the 22 foot 3 point line!

Imagine what Steph, Harden and KD would do with a hand on their hip?

Lebron and Davis have the builds to handle the physicality, however the other three as talented as they are would get murdered if a 90's team decided to get properly physical with them.

Imagine what Steph, Harden and KD would do with a hand on their hip?

Lebron and Davis have the builds to handle the physicality, however the other three as talented as they are would get murdered if a 90's team decided to get properly physical with them.

Imagine what they could do to defenders not use to defending players at the 3 point line. Malone/Bird defending KD on the perimeter? Come-on. Magic running through 15 different screens to stay with Curry? LeBron and Curry in a pick and roll (or pop). Pick your poison. The big man not being able to protect the basket because AD needs respect outside.

And you do know KD weighs 20 pounds more than than Bird? He's not little.

And another thing I always lol at when people bring up hand-checking. You know it works both ways? The 5 guys from today have been taught how to defend without hand-checking. Worked on their footwork etc because they weren't allowed to do it. Now, they get to use their hands. Awesome.

You also know there were a bunch of 6 foot guys that played in the 90s that were just fine.

And finally, this is a best of, vs best of. Who's going to try and beat up one of today's guys? There's no Anthony Masons/Dennis Rodmans out there. Malone? Don't think so.

Imagine what they could do to defenders not use to defending players at the 3 point line. Malone/Bird defending KD on the perimeter? Come-on. Magic running through 15 different screens to stay with Curry? LeBron and Curry in a pick and roll (or pop). Pick your poison. The big man not being able to protect the basket because AD needs respect outside.

And you do know KD weighs 20 pounds more than than Bird? He's not little.

And another thing I always lol at when people bring up hand-checking. You know it works both ways? The 5 guys from today have been taught how to defend without hand-checking. Worked on their footwork etc because they weren't allowed to do it. Now, they get to use their hands. Awesome.

You also know there were a bunch of 6 foot guys that played in the 90s that were just fine.

And finally, this is a best of, vs best of. Who's going to try and beat up one of today's guys? There's no Anthony Masons/Dennis Rodmans out there. Malone? Don't think so.

I think you're drastically underestimating the effect being able to steer guys would have on a players offense and the plays they would run, being unused to that kind of defensive pressure and all.

I think you're drastically underestimating the effect being able to steer guys would have on a players offense and the plays they would run, being unused to that kind of defensive pressure and all.

I don't think I'm underestimating it. I'm not saying it wouldn't slow them down. But hand checking doesn't help on a catch and shoot, which there would be a lot of if OPs team was playing. I mean the reason they took it out was because team defense and individual defenders had improved to a point scoring in the league was spiraling downwards. Team defenses and individual defenders have continued to get better. And now they get to hand-check.

Durant/Harden would also just rip through a couple and they'd be in foul trouble. It's really strange that no one in the 80s/90s used to do that move.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back