Discussion Random Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A puppy was rescued from a drain in Fairfield today.

cd9c5c2c8be7b8e7cab1d8499057ce9e.jpg

Tell me more.

Indigenous children make up less than 5 per cent of the youth population, but nationally account for 25 per cent of child suicides — in some states that number is upwards of 60 per cent.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02...tes-at-crisis-levels-communities-say/10814874

We have 10yo thinking that the only solution to their problems is to kill themselves. I find this statistic deeply disturbing. Hopefully, the Coroner's report into the Kimberley region and the media it is receiving, will put pressure on the Government to act quickly and look towards instigating some more long term preventative measures.... instead of the money mainly being spent on suicide support schemes.

Is that more the drainage ?
I once got stranded in floodwater out west near Highpoint, it was bizzare, i was walking in knee deep water watching it flow down the hill, at one point it ran down the drains only to spurt out further down.
You found a low point at Highpoint ? Your'e definitely a Saints fan.

Indigenous children make up less than 5 per cent of the youth population, but nationally account for 25 per cent of child suicides — in some states that number is upwards of 60 per cent.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02...tes-at-crisis-levels-communities-say/10814874

We have 10yo thinking that the only solution to their problems is to kill themselves. I find this statistic deeply disturbing. Hopefully, the Coroner's report into the Kimberley region and the media it is receiving, will put pressure on the Government to act quickly and look towards instigating some more long term preventative measures.... instead of the money mainly being spent on suicide support schemes.

I am in no way undermining the serious of the problem, but I have to ask when will the parents and elders take responsibility for the situation?

I'm genuinely curious because white government handouts are not the solution.

It's a complex situation and very very sad.

I am in no way undermining the serious of the problem, but I have to ask when will the parents and elders take responsibility for the situation?

I'm genuinely curious because white government handouts are not the solution.

It's a complex situation and very very sad.
Agree with you. Complex problems need a multi-faceted approach, not just money handouts. The problem will not improve without the indigenous community's help. I recently watched a documentary on SBS called "Cunnamulla Dreaming" and it gave me some hope that if communities do become involved some positive changes can be achieved in these communities.

cd9c5c2c8be7b8e7cab1d8499057ce9e.jpg

Tell me more.
I knew it was fake news as it was clearly a kitten. Bloody media. Apparently it was Damian Barrett who reported it. Reckons four St. Kilda players put it in the drain and some North Melbourne players rescued it.

" The Ottomans were very tolerant" Really?
Suppose it's easier to be a little more tolerant when you have taken over so many countries that
were not theirs!

Who's were they and when did they take them over? Everyone took their "country" at some point in history.
My point is they didn't give too much of a crap what religions their subjects practiced. Which was good.

If you are thinking countries like Palestine, think again, Palestine was never a country until they recently decided it should be one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there a poetry competition happening somewhere?
According to the ABC 1.00pm news update someone called the Renegades were versing someone called the Stars.

I despair for this generation.......

Apparently they amended the dictionary for idiots and have made it legitimate. I heard someone on radio national saying they were going to include it in the MacQuarie dictionary because no one in Australia knows the English language.

Extremely proud of myself on Thursday.

Attended a New York Times event at the NGV.
Guest speaker was Paul Krugman, one of the Op-Ed columnists and a Nobel prize winning economist.
Last year he was a guest of Stephen Colbert on The Late Show.
Colbert interviewed him on a roller coaster and Krugman’s facial expression was hilarious.
“s**t scared”.
So he speaks for a bit, then the evening is thrown open to questions from the audience.
Which are all very serious, economic and/or political.
I time my run and get the last question.
As the theme of Thursday’s event was “Some Global Fears”, I asked him given the theme of the evening would he explain his thoughts when he was being interviewed by Colbert on that roller coaster?
Laughter from the audience.
He got very embarrassed, took the question in good humour (couldn’t otherwise and certainly not a question he would have expected) and told the audience that it was on YouTube.
Said his facial expression was a function of him suffering from motion sickness and he was actually concerned he would throw up during the interview.

Excellent last question.
10/10 for me for the question.
10/10 for me being able to embarrass a Nobel Prize winner.

Here’s the link to the Colbert interview.

Extremely proud of myself on Thursday.

Attended a New York Times event at the NGV.
Guest speaker was Paul Krugman, one of the Op-Ed columnists and a Nobel prize winning economist.
Last year he was a guest of Stephen Colbert on The Late Show.
Colbert interviewed him on a roller coaster and Krugman’s facial expression was hilarious.
“s**t scared”.
So he speaks for a bit, then the evening is thrown open to questions from the audience.
Which are all very serious, economic and/or political.
I time my run and get the last question.
As the theme of Thursday’s event was “Some Global Fears”, I asked him given the theme of the evening would he explain his thoughts when he was being interviewed by Colbert on that roller coaster?
Laughter from the audience.
He got very embarrassed, took the question in good humour (couldn’t otherwise and certainly not a question he would have expected) and told the audience that it was on YouTube.
Said his facial expression was a function of him suffering from motion sickness and he was actually concerned he would throw up during the interview.

Excellent last question.
10/10 for me for the question.
10/10 for me being able to embarrass a Nobel Prize winner.

Here’s the link to the Colbert interview.

Thanks for the link . Love Stephen Colbert from his days on The Daily Show , The Colbert Report and The Late Show now of course.

Don’t Panic !!

Is there a poetry competition happening somewhere?
According to the ABC 1.00pm news update someone called the Renegades were versing someone called the Stars.

I despair for this generation.......

On Fox Sports News, one of the presenters told us the government was going to "acquiscience" to requests to widen drug testing procedures. I know. I deserve it for watching anything Fox......

Question one
If I drive to lake mountain through maryvillle at end of June can u get up to the lake mountain resort without chains?
Question two
Will there be snow?
I'm hanging to ping the wife in the scone with a snowball...she knows it's coming too

Question one
If I drive to lake mountain through maryvillle at end of June can u get up to the lake mountain resort without chains?
Question two
Will there be snow?
I'm hanging to ping the wife in the scone with a snowball...she knows it's coming too
If the answer to question 2 is No
then the answer to question 1 will be no
But if the answer for question 2 is Yes
then the answer for question 1 will most likely be Yes

Check out the lake mountain resort web site.
I think there is a lot of info there.

I drove up easily in my Awd territory , i "think" the rule was you didn't need to carry chains with the awd vehicle.
If i'd been driving the 2WD , i wouldn't have needed to fit the chains, because the road was clear while it wasn't snowing.
But i think there is a rule to carry the suckers.

Answer to all questions.
Depends on the weather.

One good reason for carrying chains is it can snow while your up there, and even the AWD rule is stupid, cos the brakes work the same with AWD and 2WD and dont do jack s**t without chains in the snow.

Get a Hilux. The answer will always be yes.

a) Hiluxes are nothing special , apart from some reliability. On a sealed road to Lake Mountain, they simply make your trip less comfortable.
b) 4 wheel drives don't brake in snow or ice, any better than 2 wheel drives. A Hyundai Getz will handle the road to Lake Mountain as well as a Hilux.
c) Full time four wheel drives, with decent handling , such as Territory or Suburu , will probably be better on a road with snow on it than a monster truck that's allergic to corners though tyres could be the difference/

Driving in snow is deceptive, in an ordinary road car it can feel fine, a bit prone to sliding through the corners, kind of like a gravel road. Then you brake and the brakes simply don't work, you just keep moving, unless you have special snow tires or chains on ANY vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back