What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL MITCH Wallis ever wanted was to feel wanted.
There were times during a turbulent 2018 season for him and the Western Bulldogs when he wasn't certain that was the case.
Wallis didn't earn a spot in the side until round three and was dropped after a round nine loss to Adelaide.
He openly admits he did his due diligence in exploring his free agency options, but ultimately his family ties to the club where his dad Steve played 261 games proved too strong.
FULL FIXTURE Every round, every game
And the Dogs showed how much they wanted him to stay when they agreed terms on a new three-year deal at the end of a disappointing campaign.
"It was a year of challenges but a massive year of growth too," Wallis said.
"I think I learned a lot about myself and the football club as we went through that year.
I think the biggest thing is that you want to feel wanted at the club and that there is a place there for you.​
"That developed over the course of the year.
"Then there are the family ties ... there were a lot of different elements that came into my decision making.
"You've got to understand what are the pulls and what are the pushes.
"We explored it all and had many conversations with family members, teammates and coaches and were really happy with where we came up."
Wallis is feeling good about football and life in general.
He got married in the off-season, believes his ninth AFL pre-season has been his best yet and is now a part of the leadership group.

Having copped a few bruises during a tough year, including stinging criticism for a costly late mistake in a heartbreaking loss to North Melbourne, the 26-year-old is ready for whatever the season throws at him.
"I was ready to cop the criticism ... that's what you sign up for," Wallis said of the fallout from the two-point round 14 loss to the Roos.
"But I think the best part of footy is that you get to back it up and go again in a week's time. You get a chance to prove the critics wrong.
"The following week we beat Geelong by a narrow margin and that was one of the highlights of our year.
"There are heaps of highs and lows in footy but they're very close together.
"I think you've just got to try to remember the highs more than the lows."

Beveridge on SEN was great:

Sees Naughton as a potential significant key forward

Thinks Schache will make it

Mentioned Young and Roberts as potential replacements but strongly hinted we will go small

Lynch not in best 22

Thinks West will be a good small forward. Sounded like he plans on giving him a run this year

That would be about right about Lynch because he is one of the few that can dispose of the ball by foot.

Some analysis of the new rules and how sides will deal with them in this article, with some good illustrative clips and some geometry thrown in as well.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03...fl-2019-and-how-teams-have-responded/10917772

Reinforces what we've been saying about the 6-6-6 being mostly ineffective (and more of an annoyance). Doesn't see the new kick-in rules as making a huge difference but identifies the rule about playing on during the application of a 50m penalty as the one most likely to create anger and confusion. Rightly so IMO.

Sliding doors is back & flog Damo wastes no time having another shot at Bevo, he really doesn’t want to back down but would do * all facing up to him. Mostly positive for all the other teams & the only other team he really had a shot at was St Kilda over Hannebery

Sliding doors is back & flog Damo wastes no time having another shot at Bevo, he really doesn’t want to back down but would do **** all facing up to him. Mostly positive for all the other teams & the only other team he really had a shot at was St Kilda over Hannebery
Embarrassing that the AFL employs him.

Some analysis of the new rules and how sides will deal with them in this article, with some good illustrative clips and some geometry thrown in as well.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-03...fl-2019-and-how-teams-have-responded/10917772

Reinforces what we've been saying about the 6-6-6 being mostly ineffective (and more of an annoyance). Doesn't see the new kick-in rules as making a huge difference but identifies the rule about playing on during the application of a 50m penalty as the one most likely to create anger and confusion. Rightly so IMO.

I'm looking at this new rule as a positive. The recipient has already been held up either after a mark or free and shouldn't be held up a 2nd time whilst the field umpire takes his 5 seconds or so to mark out his 50. That is a lot of time for the offending team to set up to defend the delayed kick.

I'm looking at this new rule as a positive. The recipient has already been held up either after a mark or free and shouldn't be held up a 2nd time whilst the field umpire takes his 5 seconds or so to mark out his 50. That is a lot of time for the offending team to set up to defend the delayed kick.
That bit's OK but the players (and the spectators) may have trouble knowing when the play-on has actually happened meaning they won't know when the player with the ball can be tackled. If they tackle while the umpire says he's just going forward (at full tilt mind you!) it will result in consecutive 50m penalties when the defending side had been acting in good faith. If they DON'T tackle the player running forward flat out then the attacker can just get a free shot at goal (if within range). Either way results in a near certain goal. Hence the "anger and confusion" comment.

Sure, in time it will settle down - the players will get a better idea of when to tackle and when to hang back, the umpires will have a better sense of what's fair to both sides, and no doubt the AFL will say "oh we thought it best just to tweak the rule a bit because of some uncertainties" but why does the H&A season have to be the laboratory for new rules? The AFL just gets a think bubble and immediately whacks it into the rules. It's the ad hocery and lack of planning that irritates me. The AFL is - and acts like - a fiefdom responsible to no-one else, not even the fans. Can you imagine FIFA introducing rules like that without extensive trialling and consultation?

Sliding doors is back & flog Damo wastes no time having another shot at Bevo, he really doesn’t want to back down but would do **** all facing up to him. Mostly positive for all the other teams & the only other team he really had a shot at was St Kilda over Hannebery

He’s had a personal issue with Lethlean, about Hannebery, the last few weeks so make sense he’s making it personal with him also.

It wasn’t overly harsh on Beveridge but the fact he’s still having a crack goes to show what a germ of a human he is.

He’s had a personal issue with Lethlean, about Hannebery, the last few weeks so make sense he’s making it personal with him also.

It wasn’t overly harsh on Beveridge but the fact he’s still having a crack goes to show what a germ of a human he is.
And ignores the fact that I have heard from both players and Bevo that we have been training as though the new rules apply so its not like Bevowas so obsessed he hasn't prepared for life without them.

I am still yet to hear one good reason why we would introduce a rule that will disadvantge younger more inexperienced sides and is one that one be enforced in any other competition.

What was said in sliding doors

IF Bevo's spending a lot of time working himself into a frenzy over his use of his runner....
THEN we hope he's got everything else in order

Even a neutral on the estate board picked up on it.

Plenty of people expressed concerns, both coaches and former players but he had his crack at bevo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we not give Damo any oxygen this year please? That's all he's after with his lazy sliding doors - no need to do any analysis, research or deep thinking to come up with his smug one-liners - yet we fall for it every time.

Does anyone here seriously gives a s**t what he says?

NFL has huge issues they are only now facing - and Chris Benoit has all but been written from the wrestling history books in another very sad episode.
Was that concussion? Surely the roids don’t help. Always loved Benoit. I was gutted when I found out what he’d done.

Was that concussion? Surely the roids don’t help. Always loved Benoit. I was gutted when I found out what he’d done.
I have heaps of his early matches, love the crippler, don't follow it much anymore they say he had the brain of an
eighty five year old man with severe dementia in the end. Must of hid it well to perform at such a high level.

Was definitely concussion. Never confirmed as CTE (I believe Dave Mirra became the first ever person to have CTE as cause of death) but Benoit suffered almost weekly concussions for decades. His brain was completely cooked

For what it is worth, a huge 10,000 athlete study was conducted in the USA a decade or so ago - on College NFL players, who had suffered concussion. It required 30 days for the average player to get their cognitive test scores back to 95% of their pre-concussion results. Obviously, a number recovered quicker and a few took even longer subject to severity and genetics.

Based on this study, it seems a fairly compelling argument that anyone concussed sufficiently to miss one game - should really miss 4.
I'll never forget the Jordan Lewis incident (less than a decade ago) when he was cleaned up by Harbrow and looked like he was knocked into next season, only to run back onto the ground less than 30 minutes later. That would obviously never happen these days and it is encouraging how far things have come in the past 5 or so years, but I think it still has a way to go.

Just need attitudes to change so that a head injury is viewed as far more serious than a hammy strain - until recently, I think you'd almost be relieved that a player was 'only' knocked out rather than sustain something that could impact them next week.

Fortunately I think the attitudes of supporters, commentators and everyone else in the industry has quickly changed, although you still get the odd comment like Jono Brown's that is referred to in the Stevens article.

Truly incredible to describe both a white supremacist on Anning's scale and a 17-year-old boy doing an egging with the exact same word. I can see how an egging can be floggish, I can think of a lot better and more specific words to describe Fraser Anning.
Anning is a dangerous and divisive individual who loves to spread hate. Talking about final solutions in the Senate is terrible and the guy is a fascist disgrace. we need intelligent politicians with ideas to unite Australians and not divide us. hope he gets kicked out at the next election. Gives us Australians a terrible name.

Bont going to be on 9 footy show. Someone report pls. I refuse to watch it since they've already taken the piss outta Chris Hemsworth and Matt Damon attending (Brownies rolls eyes at end of report and the panel giggles). If it was their club they'd suck it for all its worth. GO DOGS!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Bont going to be on 9 footy show. Someone report pls. I refuse to watch it since they've already taken the piss outta Chris Hemsworth and Matt Damon attending (Brownies rolls eyes at end of report and the panel giggles). If it was their club they'd suck it for all its worth. GO DOGS!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Every A lister comes to Melbourne and ends up in a photo op in the Herald Sun with Collingwoodia Eddie players v. Media worried that Marvel and the REAL Hemsworth connection ( what they don’t notice is that while Gil is smoozing with Matt Damon, Chris has moved to the front 100% engaged in the tight finish) those photo ops could go to the unfashionable Dogs. Avengers End Game comes out on Anzac Day - if we can get some of the cast here during a premiere showing, that would be huge marketing for us. And marketing is very important in today’s game.

As for the Bont interview, it will probably get interrupted by Chompers jokes, Billy mangling the English language, Brownie mentioning his betting odds for the Brownlow and jokes about the jumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talked about Lloyd/Duryea, getting back to what we do well in response to Matt Lloyd asking about getting over last years disappointing effort. Moved on from last years fitness issues. Showed Bevo passing Thor’s hammer around in pregame as a talking stick, Heroworshipping as a kid in relation to Marvel ( his was Richo not Brownie- Chompers has dig at Nathan). Maybe Matt Damon will be claimed. Aaron Naughton means Bont can be in midfield more and not having to scrap for goal ( Matt Lloyd stick with football questions - kudos). No questions from Kane Cornes and Damo disappeared after opening segment

So a lot of Sunday morning fluff ( Bont looked like he just got of bed) and Matthew Lloyd trying to stick to football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back