Autopsy Swans vs Dogs Rnd 1 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Parker is at his most effective when he doesn't have to be the number 1 mid anyway. When he's splitting his time between forward and midfield. But yes, we need more quality in the midfield. I'm really hopeful Dawson doesn't get dropped this week despite playing so poorly because I think he can really help us there. And Heeney needs to spend more time in the middle than he did last night.
Yes I'm hoping they persevere with Dawson too. Joey got 22 basically useless disposals. He had 7 clearances but they were for the most part ineffective.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Really? His spot was shaky? I’ll put my house on it that it wasn’t!
I honestly think that we left him out to go tall & outmark their relatively smaller backline & we did that in 1 quarter of footy, the last, & almost won. Unfortunately we went one too many & in hindsight Ronke would have been perfect to play instead of a less mobile marking player. Dawson's role wasn't needed & a simple tweak of Ronke for Dawson could have made all the difference in that second half of the first where the Dogs had a total of 19 inside 50s.
To think we nearly hit the front is just not right. At the ground it seemed the Dogs just cleared the congestion by any means, including throws, & left us in their wake. That 'mark' paid to Naughton in the third for a goal that came off Jones' hands first was an absolute disgrace & just guesswork by an umpire who was just willing the game to go one way. In fact another umpire was seen to overrule another decision going against us & the ball was thrown in instead. Not sure what happened there but will watch the replay later.
After a good night's sleep, I feel we can get things going based on how dominant we were in our comeback but I fear it is based on sheer brutal footy where we threw ourselves at every contest. That's the finals footy we always talk about but we really suck at trying to play pretty, efficient footy. That's just not us & never has been.

Round one away game done. Now to establish who should play next week.
Ronke in, Dawson out for starters. Lloyd will get fitter, Macca plays no matter what IMO,

Wha???
Yes it's true he can't keep a sprint for his 85% of time on ground.
Go onto the AFL site, to the game stats page. Click the T (tackles) column.
You'll find Hayward's name right near the top for tackles. Which for a guy playing mostly in the fwd line....
If you look further down that column - all the way near the bottom you'll see the names Florent, Lloyd, Cunningham, even Mills and Hewett, and McVeigh with NONE !
Hayward worked his arse off.

In short you are completely, totally, and utterly wrong.

Stick your stats where they will fit. He works hard when he is in the play when he is not he is a bludger. So You Sir are Completely, totally, and utterly wrong. Basics in football are non negotiable and thats how I judge the game. If you want to get sucked into what numbers tell you good for you. Fanboys on this site are ridiculous.

Got in at 4am and managed to avoid the result. Watching that this morning has left me quite depressed. My son is going to discover AFL at the wrong time and my wife refuses to force him to be a Swans supporter. Some crazy notion about let him choose. I said you can have everything else movies, music whatever I just want him to follow the Swans. It's a lonely supporting life out of Brisbane with no Swan mates.

Reid showed glimpses of his value
Franklin proved he indeed can play with limited preperation. Wasn't a great night with his boot but he did enough to prove his selection was right. That tackle.
Very similar theme of the teams that have one out the back of a stoppage we don't seem to be quick enough to combat.
Thought McVeigh's touch or decision making was pretty good.
Melican still a bit underdone but performed better than the JLT
Credit to the Swans for making it work for years by losing the clearances but repelling the opposition attack. Fear that the pool of teams, that we can't afford to do that against is getting greater.
Shame we couldn't get this weeks Adelaide performance no doubt they will be better prepared for round 2

The game is a round 1 game which are notorious for upsets until teams settle and players regain standards from time off. The game did though expose the long term problem which exists for the Swans. Inconsistent effort. It is an extremely difficult thing to follow up second efforts with 3rd, 4th and 5th at same standard. You are leg weary, taste of blood in your mouth from over exertion already, an ache through lack of breath, body aching from hits .....yet you must deny all those physical signs screaming to stop and raise for another 15 metre sprint to tackle knowing how it will hurt your body. It is a mind over matter thing at the edge of what's physically possible. You pull back just 5% and you are lost at this level. It is a pysche thing. We haven't been consistent at it for quite some time. Parker is an example. His elite is elite but more times than not he will coast at that 95% level until he finally forces himself when game is on the line. We looked like we would smash them after first 5 min but then too many just pulled back that 5% creating the first half debacle.

The pleasing aspect that I take away from the loss is that when we went to 100% we dominated.
That gives me hope

Last edited:
Stick your stats where they will fit. He works hard when he is in the play when he is not he is a bludger. So You Sir are Completely, totally, and utterly wrong. Basics in football are non negotiable and thats how I judge the game. If you want to get sucked into what numbers tell you good for you. Fanboys on this site are ridiculous.
Totally right about fanboys , especially the one's that live and die by champion data . Basic skill errors are so obvious to the eye , not some poindexter at a screen.

The game is a round 1 game which are notorious for upsets until teams settle and players regain standards from time off. The game did though expose the long term problem which exists for the Sawns. Inconsistent effort. It is an extremely difficult thing to follow up second efforts with 3rd, 4th and 5th at same standard. You are leg weary, taste of blood in your mouth from over exertion already, an ache through lack of breath, body aching from hits .....yet you must deny all those physical signs screaming to stop and raise for another 15 metre sprint to tackle knowing how it will hurt your body. It is a mind over matter thing at the edge of what's physically possible. You pull back just 5% and you are lost at this level. It is a pysche thing. We haven't been consistent at it for quite some time. Parker is an example. His elite is elite but more times than not he will coast at that 95% level until he finally forces himself when game is on the line. We looked like we would smash them after first 5 min but then too many just pulled back that 5% creating the first half debacle.

The pleasing aspect that I take away from the loss is that when we went to 100% we dominated.
That gives me hope

Parker is the worst example of this. Ran around for 3 quarters looking like a C+ player and then for no reason what so ever in the 4th quarter looked like an A grader. We know he can do the A grade stuff, so why can't he do it more consistently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed (inasmuch as "SJW" even means anything) but were you at the game? I was replying to Bloodied52, who was, and described what was happening near him/her and said it had a racist theme.

Thanks. I am not going into the matter further.

Personally it would be good for SJWs to ease off a bit. It's ok to boo a player - even if they happen to not be white.
They were giving it to him cause he was involved in a few controversial moments in our last line of defense.
As they should.
Erroneously making it about race will lead to it becoming about that - which is not good for anyone involved at all.
I'm only commenting because I agree with mikey that making that booing about race is damaging to everyone involved. But people booing Aliir was 100% about him being involved in a few contentious decisions deep in your backline that went against us. There was no booing at all until after that happened. It was even almost limited to the pocket where the decisions happened and the cheer squad area.
So I don't think it's right to blanket statement our crowd as racists. That's not to say there were none, which is the unfortunate reality, as I heard one near my section, but he was promptly told to shut up by a couple of people behind him.

Anyway, good luck for the rest of the year guys.

I'm only commenting because I agree with mikey that making that booing about race is damaging to everyone involved. But people booing Aliir was 100% about him being involved in a few contentious decisions deep in your backline that went against us. There was no booing at all until after that happened. It was even almost limited to the pocket where the decisions happened and the cheer squad area.
So I don't think it's right to blanket statement our crowd as racists. That's not to say there were none, which is the unfortunate reality, as I heard one near my section, but he was promptly told to shut up by a couple of people behind him.

Maybe your lot should boo the umpires then so there's no confusion.

A few years ago the comments I heard from Footscray fans directed to Goodes was a disgrace , never liked then ever since.

Fair enough you were very hard done by once again.
That is the burden we have to bear as a club. Forever hard done by.
Honestly though I did think it was pretty even. Some pretty bad calls both way, given and missed. But every clubs supporters think they're a bit hard done by in the end, so I guess it doesn't mean much. 22-22 is pretty indicative.

Jog on Chump or was that Champ.
Sure thing champ. Just stopped by to back up a claim made by one of your own, just so false information wasn't perpetuated. I'll jog on now. Have a good day.

A few years ago the comments I heard from Footscray fans directed to Goodes was a disgrace , never liked then ever since.
I don't doubt it. Sadly it's something that is all too common at the footy, and isn't limited to a select few clubs. There's s**t human beings all over the place. Hopefully one day that changes. Nobody deserves to have to hear that stuff.

So you booed the player, not the umpire...pathetic!

That is the burden we have to bear as a club. Forever hard done by.
Honestly though I did think it was pretty even. Some pretty bad calls both way, given and missed. But every clubs supporters think they're a bit hard done by in the end, so I guess it doesn't mean much. 22-22 is pretty indicative.

If it was pretty even then why would your supporters be booing the umpires as well as Aliir. Don't think the Bulldogs should ever boo the umpires they have earnt a few credits you'd think.

22-22 is just a number doesn't tell you the when why and where of the free kick.

Anyway my hearts not in this umpires didn't determine the result last night and you are right there are dickheads in every crowd. Cheer squad would want to have a think about where they level their booing though. There is a chance that Aliir isn't quite sure that his boos are actually meant for poor umpiring decisions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back