Preview Round 2 2019: Richmond v Collingwood at MCG 7.25pm 28th March

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pies problem is all their mids are turnover merchants so against good sides it's hard for them to score. The only decent kick is Pendleberry and he's slower than Anthony miles. All their big ball winners have conker-esque kicking skills so their forwards have to work damn hard to get the ball against good defence. if our defence plays well we win easy with them missing tadams

I would not replace Rance with another tall this week.
Astbury to Cox, Grimes to de Goey and and maybe Short to Elliott.
Nankervis usually does well against Grundy so that will be a key match up. Grundy was poor on Friday and will be keen to atone.
We need to make their midfield accountable as well as generate some run ourselves.
Can't let Howe run free. I'd be playing Balta or Kmac on him even as a tag.
Darcy Moore is a great reader of the play, but will have his hands full with Jack or Lynch.

Nankervis usually does well against Grundy so that will be a key match up. Grundy was poor on Friday and will be keen to atone.
We need to make their midfield accountable as well as generate some run ourselves.
Darcy Moore is a great reader of the play, but will have his hands full with Jack or Lynch.

Grimes to DeGoey must be an absolute lock. should have happened last time..

Astbury on Cox has to happen by default but if Cox is on a lead we need someone dropping into the hole.

Elliot will destroy Short. Reckon it needs to be Broad or Vlastuin.

I’d drop Weller for Castagna. Harsh but we missed George’s energy and pressure last week. That would bring the three amigos back together with Lynch and Jack plus a resting mid up forward. It’s our best combination.

I feel like Butler, George and Rioli all compliment each other really well. Bring back our 2017 pressure.

We are Minor Prems and we were favs to win the PF. Why? Because we were widely - and rightly - seen as the better team. We lost a one off.

We should win. We are the better more talented team.

Richmond by 24.
Spot on. Comprehensively beat them two outings prior, and just like the saints game in 2017, the side were either ill or just had an off night

Short is really bad as a 1-1 defender.
Vlaustin to Elliott

Short is really bad as a 1-1 defender.
Vlaustin to Elliott
Yep fair enough. Will concede that.
We need Tigger filling the gaps and taking intercept marks so Broad it might have to be.

So typically coaches implement over-arching strategies and forget about in game tactics that focus on the opposition. To Collingwoods credit their Hail Mary in the Prelim final where they brought 3 tricks actually worked.... when 9/10 times it doesn't. So well done to the injuries on that one. They are the following:

1) Grundy spiking the ball forward against second ruck Grigg.
2) Sidearse sweeper 5-10m defensive side of stoppages to prevent Richmond forward handball.
3) Put the ball 15m out in from of Mason Cox and hope that he marks it for the first and only time of his career. (cleverly complain about lack of free kicks to Cox and Richmond's body spoiling/blocking in the lead up to the game)

1) Has been addressed assuming Balta plays.

If 2) and 3) haven't been addressed this time around i'll be mighty disappointed.

I’d drop Weller for Castagna. Harsh but we missed George’s energy and pressure last week. That would bring the three amigos back together with Lynch and Jack plus a resting mid up forward. It’s our best combination.

I feel like Butler, George and Rioli all compliment each other really well. Bring back our 2017 pressure.
We could have both. We don't need a tall Garth, and Markov is too risky. I'd be inclined to have Kmac push into the half back line. A good game last week but has played in defence too. and bring George in for much needed speed. Lynch can kick straight, which is good but looked way off it fitness-wise. And its doing my head in looking at these new faces in our jumpers. I don't mind Weller already but with 2, 3 or 4 games into him, could really fire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where we at with George? If he goes out there without a lot of game time in him he'll be all over the shop. Could backfire on us but we do need that injection of speed and pressure in the forward line

Straight in imo

we missed his pace

Nank had a blinder against Collingwood last season, but that Prelim.... Grundy destroyed us.
Moore reminds me of a young Rance, I think he’s going to be a superstar back there.

Yeah it isn’t that easy to be honest. Even our double-ups are looking tough in Collingwood, Melbourne, GWS and Port Adelaide. Carlton are our only double-up that are looking relatively easy, and our matches against Carlton are rarely easy wins.

That’s why a win against Collingwood this round would help us a lot in the long run.
Heard a good point on the radio
Port where 11-4 last year and then Ryder went down. There not gonna be easy beats.
Carlton at times cut through the corridor too easy and then they seemed to blow up.
Not sure what the changes should be but I think we need to aim for at least thirty good scoring shots against the pies to get over the top of em

Unfortunately for Butler I’d say he’s put himself front and centre to be first cab off the rank.

Unfortunately for Butler I’d say he’s put himself front and centre to be first cab off the rank.
I think you’re right. He has looked off the pace for quite some time now. Never really got going last year but had some injury concerns throughout. I’m just hoping that by playing him with George and Dan he will rediscover form. Something about that trio when playing together just clicks. They thrive off one another.

Nank had a blinder against Collingwood last season, but that Prelim.... Grundy destroyed us.
Moore reminds me of a young Rance, I think he’s going to be a superstar back there.
Yep reads the flight of the ball very well.

Yep reads the flight of the ball very well.
It really stood out to me the second game against them
Last year. Those two home and away games against Pies were such high quality and the best footy we played I thought.
But Moore really stood out in that second one with the early read off the boot, the fast running attack on the footy to intercept and the bravery in the air, really was some breathtaking stuff like Rance.

They beat us with pace last time but we couldn't hardly walk,gastro.

The game reminded me very much of the big Saints loss at Etihad in 2017 when alot of the playing group were crook.

Where we at with George? If he goes out there without a lot of game time in him he'll be all over the shop. Could backfire on us but we do need that injection of speed and pressure in the forward line
Been in full training for a couple of weeks after foot injury in the off season. This week might be rushing it for George. In which case Baker. Played well in the JLT

Against Carlton where we got into trouble was when they took a zig zag route with quick ball movement. That requires good kills and speed to get that freedom. When we pressured them from behind (i.e. high forward line pressure from us) they were stuffed. The Pies have less skills and speed, but more class and toughness. I reckon it's all about us pressuring the Pies hard and not allowing them freedom to move the ball. We'll win then because their weaknesses are their attack and defensive. If their midfield can dominate then we're screwed.

If we can make it a pressure game then that clean ball to cox is stopped and their small/medium forwards don't have space. For us Lynch and JR are better and our smalls like that pressure space. And our defense will kill them if they have tome to set up. So we need to nail that midfield pressure.

I still think we need Ellis, who is in good form, to help out as a HBF and Broad pushes back.
As you say, Short is a runner not a one-on-one type player.
Grimes to De Goey of course.
I don't think we need to tinker with the forward line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back