Ben Brown Staging

Remove this Banner Ad

Browny did look silly this week. I do think however it has come about by a couple of years of non frees. The amount of times he would launch at a ball and be chopped or body spoiled without it being a free would be a huge number. Being held when going to lead or so a 3rd man up can impact has negated his influence at certain stages over the last couple of seasons. Truth be told if he wasn't he would kick 75-80. Its a by product of trying to stop him doing what he is so good at which is launching at the footy. Now he is looking silly he can go back to his footy before free mentality. Lets see the uproar the other way when they are not paid. Or will they be?

cop out comment.

every team in the AFL could replicate that statement about their forwards getting treatment in contests. Using that as an excuse for him staging his just bullcrap.

Tom hawkins gets some dodgy treatment in contests and i dont see him resorting to staging.

Michael Walters plays for head high free kicks, I'm not blind or ignorant.

Walters definitely ducks his head - but I will say of late I've noticed that he doesn't throw the head back as much.

He's a bit more like Kerr now in that his head duck is turning into evasion, rather than an attempt to win a free kick

He still does play for kicks (just not as often), but by nature of ducking your head - it doesn't mean the only inference is you are trying to con the ump

I can somewhat respect a player ducking and taking the whack to the head to earn a free. It is stupid, and dangerous. But at least they put themselves on the line and copped the whack.

Staging a free by diving and highlighting the slightest of contact whilst not really getting hurt or actually impeded is straight out cheating.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Walters definitely ducks his head - but I will say of late I've noticed that he doesn't throw the head back as much.

He's a bit more like Kerr now in that his head duck is turning into evasion, rather than an attempt to win a free kick

He still does play for kicks (just not as often), but by nature of ducking your head - it doesn't mean the only inference is you are trying to con the ump
Its as much the way he does it, the throw your head in, get smashed, throw your head back to make sure its seen. He's definitely doing it less but I'd say thats because he doesnt get them called as much any more and was starting to get less free's for the ones he should get.

In my mind there are two types of free kick fakers:
  1. Those who perform an action to get a free kick out of nothing - e.g. dropping the knees, deliberately leading with the head, etc
  2. Those who exaggerate a valid free kick so the ump can see it - e.g. falling after an illegal gut punch, whack in the head, tunneling, two handed push in the chest
Ben Brown is #2. Gone from being neglected by the umpires and triple teamed by defense, to now exaggerating every illegal contact so they can see it.

This has two effects:
  1. You look like a muppet and get called out
  2. Opposition players will be more weary when attempting to infringe and instances will decrease
Ben will settle down once the above two steps are complete... hopefully soon bc i too think it's a terrible look

1. Those who perform an action to get a free kick out of nothing - e.g. dropping the knees, deliberately leading with the head, etc
  2. Those who exaggerate a valid free kick so the ump can see it - e.g. falling after an illegal gut punch, whack in the head, tunneling, two handed push in the chest
Ben Brown is #2. Gone from being neglected by the umpires and triple teamed by defense, to now exaggerating every illegal contact so they can see it.

This has two effects:
  2. Opposition players will be more weary when attempting to infringe and instances will decrease
Ben will settle down once the above two steps are complete... hopefully soon bc i too think it's a terrible look
How's the weather on Mars today?

This has two effects:

Or

1. Players who deliberately put themselves in a position to take a knock and win a free. Your Joel Selwood and Toby McLean types.

Or

2. Players who flail to accentuate legal contact like Ben Brown did against Adelaide.

Ben Brown is obviously in category 2. The ones in category 1 are much tougher. And, side note, premiership players. Brown hangs his hat on nearly winning an undeserved Coleman on the back of free kicks

This has two effects:

Those who perform an action to get a free kick out of nothing = This is Ben Brown.

Watching him at the moment you can see his first thought seems to be to play for a free. He wasn't like this at the start of 2018 - crept into his game about mid-season last year when he started getting a lot more attention.

I can somewhat respect a player ducking and taking the whack to the head to earn a free. It is stupid, and dangerous. But at least they put themselves on the line and copped the whack.

Staging a free by diving and highlighting the slightest of contact whilst not really getting hurt or actually impeded is straight out cheating.

and grabbing jumpers, blocking and hacking arms isn't cheating ?

hells bells every team would have 2-3 players that regularly stage for frees.. Its just North's turn to get a whack this week.

the amusing thing is the length some posters go to justify why its ok for their players to stage for frees, but not Ben Brown

and grabbing jumpers, blocking and hacking arms isn't cheating ?

hells bells every team would have 2-3 players that regularly stage for frees.. Its just North's turn to get a whack this week.

the amusing thing is the length some posters go to justify why its ok for their players to stage for frees, but not Ben Brown

Jumper grabbing blocking and hacking is at least an attempt to impede your opponent and win the contest.

Diving is solely an attempt to win a cheap free kick you have no right to.

It is a scourge in a lot of sports.

His flailing around and staging antics in the end won his team the game. Him and his team were rewarded for it. Why would he stop doing it?

The AFL have to do something about this asap or they will see other players and teams use it as a tactic if it means winning games of footy. Jesse Hogan does it pretty well too. Rance takes dives. Oliver has taken dives. Reiwoldt can carry on if he doesn't get rewarded a free, Selwood throws his head back. These are some of our biggest names in the sport doing this s**t. It's time to make an example of someone before ALL players and teams start doing it.

Also, I've noticed more flailing since non ruckman started to ruck more in the last couple of years. Basically the non ruckman have no idea whst they're doing so they over accentuate contact by their opponent who is a ruckman, and hope for a free kick, which works sometimes like this instance with Brown.

Or

1. Players who deliberately put themselves in a position to take a knock and win a free. Your Joel Selwood and Toby McLean types.

Or

2. Players who flail to accentuate legal contact like Ben Brown did against Adelaide.

Ben Brown is obviously in category 2. The ones in category 1 are much tougher. And, side note, premiership players. Brown hangs his hat on nearly winning an undeserved Coleman on the back of free kicks
spot on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This has two effects:

I watched Lloyd go through the same thing in his career.

The umpires are going to turn on him at some point and then he will get mauled worse than ever before. Happened to Lloyd big time.

Just saw Brown address the issue on The Footy Show. Personally I would have regained a lot more respect for him had he just said “yeah look that’s s**t by me, I’m going work on it and try and get it out of my game because it’s a shocking look.” Instead danced around it and denied something which is as blatantly obvious as the nose on his face.

Just saw Brown address the issue on The Footy Show. Personally I would have regained a lot more respect for him had he just said “yeah look that’s s**t by me, I’m going work on it and try and get it out of my game because it’s a shocking look.” Instead danced around it and denied something which is as blatantly obvious as the nose on his face.
I don't watch the footy show. How on earth can you dance around or deny vision like that ruck contest? Did they ask the question and he just threw his arms out and flopped to the floor from his chair?

I don't watch the footy show. How on earth can you dance around or deny vision like that ruck contest? Did they ask the question and he just threw his arms out and flopped to the floor from his chair?
He says he has gangly limbs so that's why it looked like he took a dive.

Sadly, Ben also seems to be a liar as well as a diver.

when does the heat start to come on Ben brown for constant antics like this Goodes and rance were rightly called out on similar incidents but the big roo seems to be immune from the same media scrutiny

Because he's an ordinary player who isn't fit to shine their boots so nobody cares

Really?

I am yet to hear a player or coach who hasn’t supported Brown.

Robbo and BJ don’t like the look of it though.

Play on.
So Goddard is wrong for not confirming to an AFL pushed standard of acceptance of staging for free kicks? It’s no surprise that forwards get looked after given that AFL is now about entertainment and kicking goals is entertainment.

Brown is a stager and I’d say plenty in the industry think so but just don’t want to ruffle feathers. We need more like Goddard.

Jesus wept... if that's seriously what he said then I have no words. Did anyone laugh?
I didn't see the show, only read an article about it

And at least Lloyd was a multi-time Coleman Medalist and All-Australian. Even though he played for free kicks, he was still an overall great of the game and gave a lot back.

Brown won't ever be considered a great of the game. Staging for free kicks will be his legacy.
An Essendon supporter speskung of legacies. *ing lol.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back