EDFL Div 1 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have watched much premier div footy survey and if there are "hundreds of better players" I haven't seen them. In fact premier division has dropped off plenty in last decade or so. The interleague games show this with southern and eastern leagues miles ahead these days. There was a time when EDFL dominated. Of course money in those leagues is very good and attracts more recently retired AFL players, and these are the players that make the difference. at suburban level. I'm told marby park played Frankston pines in a practice match and got beaten in a close one and they are a top club in Mornington league. They beat them by a couple of goals. EK also played them and got beaten by about 4 goals without a senior ruckman that day and Lyon was fighting out B.O.G honours with Pines ruckman who destroyed them. Take what you will from that.
Mate praccy matches are more often than not times for teams to experiment. Sides play practice games with half a side missing all the time, and the reason EDFL pulled the interleague was because year after year they were putting out a second string side. Big guns never put there hand up unfortunately.

I have watched much premier div footy survey and if there are "hundreds of better players" I haven't seen them. In fact premier division has dropped off plenty in last decade or so. The interleague games show this with southern and eastern leagues miles ahead these days. There was a time when EDFL dominated. Of course money in those leagues is very good and attracts more recently retired AFL players, and these are the players that make the difference. at suburban level. I'm told marby park played Frankston pines in a practice match and got beaten in a close one and they are a top club in Mornington league. They beat them by a couple of goals. EK also played them and got beaten by about 4 goals without a senior ruckman that day and Lyon was fighting out B.O.G honours with Pines ruckman who destroyed them. Take what you will from that.

Lyons is a very good player especially in div1. He will no doubt tear it up and be one of the best mids. No one is doubting that on here.
All I said was he left Sunshine due to other commitments and wasn’t going to play. Must have been a bloody good offer. But credit to EK..

He hasn’t played premier standard for a number of years.

How can you say the standard of premier has dropped. Have you watched a game buddy?? I can’t recall a better team run onto a Oval than Abers a few years back when Angus Graham was ruck. What a side that was..

Yes I agree with this and the coach does seem to be setting examples but where they fall down is there junior program. Roxy don’t have much junior wise thesedays compared to about 5-7 years ago. Yes they have girls/women’s footy in a few grades which is great!! but the male juniors is not in good shape.
I don’t think this can be blamed on more successful clubs around them as Roxy Park in a newer area and with Jacana having no juniors surely they can draw from as far as meadow heights and now broadmeadows. I know what the problems are as I’ve experienced it over the years and there comes a time where you need to draw a line in the sand and set standards. This is apparently what the senior coach is doing 👏👏👏 so hope it flows on to the juniors and off field supporters.
I recall watching the legend Heath Ayres at Marby one Saturday. A bunch of Marby supporters who were standing on the boundary line (apparently from the cricket club) and were verbally abusing opposition players from Craigieburn. So when the ball went out of bounds he walked over to them and said “stop yelling out abuse and enjoy the game. Show some respect” and they pulled there heads in from embarrassment. Great to see a highly regarded player SPEAK UP and not tolerate that type of behaviour..Sporting clubs must be a place for families and kids to enjoy themselves on a Saturday arvo or Sunday. Clubs need to teach this and they will see the rewards..
In regards to juniors Turbo, have a look at the demographic in the area and that will tell the story. The recent migrants coming into the area are all iraqi and Syrian refugees.... and they all want to play soccer. Roxy United Soccer Club has gone from nothing to massive within two years. On top of that when you have juniors being 'poached 'poached the other clubs in the area it makes it tough to increase junior numbers. It's Going to take league/AFLVic action you turn this around as its a generational thing and we need AFL being pushed more in local schools. The club are aware of the struggles with junior's and are trying to address it but thought I'd give you some context as well as to why it's so hard.

In regards to juniors Turbo, have a look at the demographic in the area and that will tell the story. The recent migrants coming into the area are all iraqi and Syrian refugees.... and they all want to play soccer. Roxy United Soccer Club has gone from nothing to massive within two years. On top of that when you have juniors being 'poached 'poached the other clubs in the area it makes it tough to increase junior numbers. It's Going to take league/AFLVic action you turn this around as its a generational thing and we need AFL being pushed more in local schools. The club are aware of the struggles with junior's and are trying to address it but thought I'd give you some context as well as to why it's so hard.

All good valid points you make here UTR. I recall the original days of Roxy FC and Eddie McGuire was mentioned somewhere as he lived in Broady as a kid and Roxy took up the magpie emblem. That was great but do agree that soccer is big thesedays. Kids also leaving to play winter basketball so it’s a massive issue.. AFL do stuff all to assist. Primary school football grounds are dying and even primary school footy against other schools is a complete joke. Played on small grounds where once upon a time they used full sized footy grounds..

Smaller kids are going away from footy as well and heading to soccer. Why? Often it’s because soccer is a no contact sport and that’s where coaches, assistant coaches, runners and club hierarchy need to ensure we appoint good coaches into these roles for showing kids good culture and fair participation. At the young ages especially 9,11,13s it shouldn’t be about winning but teaching kids enjoyment and to learn from a loss or a good fair bump or tackle. To many coaches play to win or teach kids to play outside the rules of fair play. Seen many smaller kids bring bullied and pushed around by bigger kids for no other reason than they are being taught the wrong way. Some parents & officials abusing kids as young as 9-10 from opposition teams. Bloody disgusting..
So the smaller kid goes “mum I don’t like footy so let’s try soccer or play basketball”.

I was coaching a junior side a few years ago when we won the first 4 games and rd5 got beaten by a team who appeared to be struggling. It was windy and a scrappy game but our boys were expecting to win. Our kids didn’t take it to well when the opposition was celebrating after the game with a few words spoken between players. I called my side in together on the ground with parents around and told them in a stern tone that it wasn’t acceptable, and you need to learn how to take a loss and accept it and learn from it. Yes you might need to accept the other side will be excited and jumping around and maybe saying a couple of words, but you need to take it and grow from it.. Biting back and blaming others is not acceptable. I’m usually calm but that day I needed to STAND UP and teach them respect. The parents all said well done and agreed long term it will be beneficial for those boys..

Last edited:
All good valid points you make here UTR. I recall the original days of Roxy FC and Eddie McGuire was mentioned somewhere as he lived in Broady as a kid and Roxy took up the magpie emblem. That was great but do agree that soccer is big thesedays. Kids also leaving to play winter basketball so it’s a massive issue.. AFL do stuff all to assist. Primary school football grounds are dying and even primary school footy against other schools is a complete joke. Played on small grounds where once upon a time they used full sized footy grounds..

Smaller kids are going away from footy as well and heading to soccer. Why? Often it’s because soccer is a no contact sport and that’s where coaches, assistant coaches, runners and club hierarchy need to ensure we appoint good coaches into these roles for showing kids good culture and fair participation. At the young ages especially 9,11,13s it shouldn’t be about winning but teaching kids enjoyment and to learn from a loss or a good fair bump or tackle. To many coaches play to win or teach kids to play outside the rules of fair play. Seen many smaller kids bring bullied and pushed around by bigger kids for no other reason than they are being taught the wrong way. Some parents & officials abusing kids as young as 9-10 from opposition teams. Bloody disgusting..
So the smaller kid goes “mum I don’t like footy so let’s try soccer or play basketball”.

I was coaching a junior side a few years ago when we won the first 4 games and rd5 got beaten by a team who appeared to be struggling. It was windy and a scrappy game but our boys were expecting to win. Our kids didn’t take it to well when the opposition was celebrating after the game with a few words spoken between players. I called my side in together on the ground with parents around and told them in a stern tone that it wasn’t acceptable, and you need to learn how to take a loss and accept it and learn from it. Yes you might need to accept the other side will be excited and jumping around and maybe saying a couple of words, but you need to take it and grow from it.. Biting back and blaming others is not acceptable. I’m usually calm but that day I needed to STAND UP and teach them respect. The parents all said well done and agreed long term it will be beneficial for those boys..
It's funny, everyone remembers the Eddie days and thinks we have money to burn as a result. That was about 15 years ago and all he really wanted to do was convert that into more Collingwood memberships... the club got nothing!

Footy isn't pushed in any of the schools in the area and the local Catholic primary school put a soccer field in instead of a footy oval when they put a synthetic surface in so that's hurt even more... no goal posts for kids to use so they ALL play soccer. The one thing the government/ council's/schools/league should be pushing is footy over soccer as this would allow these immigrants you assimilate into the community more easily. By staying in soccer they keep in their own little pockets and don't integrate into the wider community.

Anyway I think I've taken up enough of this thread now. Who do we seriously think are premiership contenders versus pretenders? Only a small sample size so far. EK look awesome but have played two sides expected to struggle. Are CB the real deal after beating Tulla? Think it may be a CB v EK granny

It's funny, everyone remembers the Eddie days and thinks we have money to burn as a result. That was about 15 years ago and all he really wanted to do was convert that into more Collingwood memberships... the club got nothing!

Footy isn't pushed in any of the schools in the area and the local Catholic primary school put a soccer field in instead of a footy oval when they put a synthetic surface in so that's hurt even more... no goal posts for kids to use so they ALL play soccer. The one thing the government/ council's/schools/league should be pushing is footy over soccer as this would allow these immigrants you assimilate into the community more easily. By staying in soccer they keep in their own little pockets and don't integrate into the wider community.

Anyway I think I've taken up enough of this thread now. Who do we seriously think are premiership contenders versus pretenders? Only a small sample size so far. EK look awesome but have played two sides expected to struggle. Are CB the real deal after beating Tulla? Think it may be a CB v EK granny

Just quickly on the demographic that move into RP people always say CB should be this power house of premier because of the size of the suburb but in all honesty majority of the people moving into CB are Indian .. I have absolutely nothing against the Indians but quite simply they don’t play footy....
The cricket club in CB has something like 10 sides and also have winter sides playing..

I hope your right uptherox I’d love to see the eagles in the granny
Cheers

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Just quickly on the demographic that move into RP people always say CB should be this power house of premier because of the size of the suburb but in all honesty majority of the people moving into CB are Indian .. I have absolutely nothing against the Indians but quite simply they don’t play footy....
The cricket club in CB has something like 10 sides and also have winter sides playing..

Cheers

That's why they created the Hume Bombers juniors which was originally created with the colours of green, orange and white (Indian flag) however they have now moved to black and blue, to attract the kids to come and play footy. I have mixed feelings on it being so marketed towards those of Indian decent. I think it's a great initiative trying to get them to play but it reminds me of the rubbish that goes on in local soccer clubs about your family background determining where you play (Melbourne Knights - Croatia, South Melbourne - Greeks etc). I think the initiative to get them to come and play should be there but we shouldn't be funneling them into a specific club and they should be encourage to play at Roxy, Craigieburn, Jacana etc

Attachments

• Hume-Bombers-W.jpg
    Hume-Bombers-W.jpg
    276.4 KB · Views: 173

Cheers

Burner maybe you and I should invest in an Indian Curry Restaurant. Include takeaway and if your to intoxicated to drive home an uber can be arranged. 😄😄

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL put nothing back into local schools or junior football clubs thesedays. And it’s a disgrace.

What about back in the day we had pie nights, players coming out to training or you could train at an AFL ground then go into the social rooms and listen to a player speak and kids have a pie..AFL give you donuts..

As I said primary school inter school football is played on small grounds and yes soccer is (or has in some areas) moving in on our territory.
Melb Victory send players out to schools but AFL nothing..And if they did it would be a young kid who hasn’t played a game.

I see more outs for Roxy after last weekends result not the best look for these guys wanting to drop down a div

Helou? Prominently a 2s players but seemed to be getting a few gigs in the 1s under faz, you are clearly struggling for numbers going by the massive sign outside the ground and the amount of young kids playing 2s

TL with the win today, confirms my thoughts that they are not that bad and that Hillside are on the slide.

Top 3 of CB, Tulla & EK already locked in. WM, WC, HS & TL fighting it out for a token finals appearance.
OP are RP only chance of avoiding relegation.

The only question is, how good are EK compared to the other contenders???

Last edited:
Really??!!!
What’s your mail Lucas?
Obviously you are on the inside to post this question about the coach
Interested in your response
If any.....
Yeah sorry, no mail from my side as stated just saw it on their Facebook page and thought I saw mention somewhere else on big footy about potentially an issue with the coach. Hoped someone else with more intel may have been able to shed some light

Helou? Prominently a 2s players but seemed to be getting a few gigs in the 1s under faz, you are clearly struggling for numbers going by the massive sign outside the ground and the amount of young kids playing 2s
It's called match ups. I think every club has a sign from a real estate looking for players and advertising games. We've folded the 19s (as most clubs are these days) and playing them in 2s as a result. 19s is an issue across the entire league since they changed it. 19s should be played on Friday nights. What 18 year old doesn't want to go out on a Friday night so they can be you for a 9:30 game. Not the only club without 19s. Absolutely no clue. People should shut up and not speculate what is going on at other clubs

It's called match ups. I think every club has a sign from a real estate looking for players and advertising games. We've folded the 19s (as most clubs are these days) and playing them in 2s as a result. 19s is an issue across the entire league since they changed it. 19s should be played on Friday nights. What 18 year old doesn't want to go out on a Friday night so they can be you for a 9:30 game. Not the only club without 19s. Absolutely no clue. People should shut up and not speculate what is going on at other clubs

Friday night games for under 19s is a great idea however the problem is juniors play Friday at a lot of clubs due to ground availability. Also some restrictions around noise in certain areas which affects home owners.
Once again the word we hate soccer can have affect, as they also are fighting councils to get more grounds. A lot of the more established clubs don’t have 2 adjoining grounds and some don’t have sufficient lighting for games as they must be rated to a certain level..

Could we play double headers Friday night at Windy Hill, Coburg City Oval, Highgate. Not sure clubs would like that as losing revenue, extra expenses with having trainers there for 1 x 2hr game plus travel.

19s is what it is I guess. It’s happening everywhere as you mentioned.

Meeting at Tulla was nothing to do with senior coach or senior team.
Believe it had something to do with the women’s team regarding an incident at a function

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back