What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

They missed the bit where Libba actually spends a good deal of time in charity work. Also, what were the questionable tagging techniques? Was the Roar thinking of his dad?
Yes. I think an editorial typo or missed word.

Izzy Huntington

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone who has access paste the article in here please - Onya!!
Not sure if there was more to the article but here is the list:

Marcus Bontempelli
Dustin Martin
Nat Fyfe
Patrick Cripps
Patrick Dangerfield
Brodie Grundy
Max Gawn
Tom Lynch
Lachie Whitfield
Lachie Neale

Lance Franklin
Scott Pendlebury
Elliot Yeo
Josh Kelly
Tim Kelly
Stephen Coniglio
Jack Macrae
Jeremy McGovern
Jack Riewoldt
Tom Mitchell

Jeremy Cameron
James Sicily
Michael Walters
Dion Prestia
Clayton Oliver
Rowan Marshall
Luke Shuey
Dayne Zorko
Tom Hawkins
Nic Naitanui

Dylan Grimes
Trent Cotchin
Ben Brown
Aaron Naughton
Charlie Cameron
Harris Andrews
Jack Darling
Shaun Higgins
Jordan De Goey
Toby Greene

Zac Williams
Tom Stewart
Rory Sloane
Hugh McCluggage
Ben Cunnington
Adam Treloar
Nick Haynes
Dane Rampe
Christian Petracca
Josh Dunkley

Not sure if there was more to the article but here is the list:

Marcus Bontempelli
Dustin Martin
Nat Fyfe
Patrick Cripps
Patrick Dangerfield
Brodie Grundy
Max Gawn
Tom Lynch
Lachie Whitfield
Lachie Neale

Lance Franklin
Scott Pendlebury
Elliot Yeo
Josh Kelly
Tim Kelly
Stephen Coniglio
Jack Macrae
Jeremy McGovern
Jack Riewoldt
Tom Mitchell

Jeremy Cameron
James Sicily
Michael Walters
Dion Prestia
Clayton Oliver
Rowan Marshall
Luke Shuey
Dayne Zorko
Tom Hawkins
Nic Naitanui

Dylan Grimes
Trent Cotchin
Ben Brown
Aaron Naughton
Charlie Cameron
Harris Andrews
Jack Darling
Shaun Higgins
Jordan De Goey
Toby Greene

Zac Williams
Tom Stewart
Rory Sloane
Hugh McCluggage
Ben Cunnington
Adam Treloar
Nick Haynes
Dane Rampe
Christian Petracca
Josh Dunkley
Petracca and dunkley over macrae... yeah okay.

Can someone who has access paste the article in here please - Onya!!

MARK ROBINSON
Mark Robinson’s Top 50: Marcus Bontempelli set to join Western Bulldogs greats

Any one of Mark Robinson’s top five players wouldn’t look out of place at No.1. But Robbo believes a new name is ready to accept the mantle as the competition’s best.

Who better to talk about Marcus Bontempelli than the club’s greatest ever wingman.

But to obtain Dough Hawkins’ mobile number we had to go through the club’s greatest-ever forward in Brad Johnson.
Who also offered a mobile of the club’s greatest-ever midfielder, Scott West.

Simple question to the three of them: What’s the probability of Bontempelli joining the all-time greats at the Western Bulldogs?

Johnson: “Bont is a certainty to. His next contract will be huge and clubs will circle. But he’ll stay and he will be one of the all-time greats.”
There is club icon Charlie Sutton and then there is the club’s “all-time greats”: EJ Whitten, Hawkins, West, Johnson and Chris Grant.

And then there’s Bob Murphy, Rohan Smith, Tony Liberatore, Matty Boyd, Scotty Wynd, Luke Darcy and Dale Morris among others.
Bontempelli will join that last group soon enough, but will he make the next bracket?

Hawkins says: “I reckon Terry Wallace mentioned that Bont could end on par with Ted Whitten (after the 2016 Grand Final).

“It’s a big call. But 100 per cent Bont will join the greats. He will certainly be in the top three in the club’s history if he continues with the way he’s playing.

“I remember watching him in a practice match, I was with Steve and Rod MacPherson, I said to them this young fella reminds me of John Pitura (South Melbourne, Richmond in the 1970s), he moved like Pitura, both left footers.'”

Hawkins said he would have appointed Bontempelli captain after Murphy’s retirement.

“Bontempelli was 21, he was ready to go,” Hawkins said.

“Take this the right way and there’s only one Wayne Carey, but Bont was level-headed and mature enough at 21 to be given the job.

“It would not have worried him one bit to be club captain.”

Today, Bontempelli has been named No.1 player in the Herald Sun Top 50.

“No arguments with me,” Hawkins said.

“He’s the full package.”

West agreed: “You’re very good judge but I’m biased.”

2a49388f5a5de3429a9023365b3adee7
West is a seven-time best and fairest winner with the Bulldogs and reckons he’ll end up be sharing that honour with Bontempelli.

“I say to my wife Linda all the time, ‘I’ve got to enjoy the next four years because after the next four years I could be equal with Bont on seven best and fairests’,” West said.

“I’ve no doubt he will be a better player than me.

“He’s got the ability to play tall at stoppage, for his size he doesn’t fumble below his knees, and he can also play six foot seven because he can reach high for the ball at stoppages.

“He and Patrick Cripps will be generational players and let’s hope Carlton and the Bulldogs let them play against each other.”

Bontempelli earned the mantle as No.1 because, at 24, he is about to enter the best years of his football career.

That’s frightening because Bontempelli’s early years have been startling: one premiership, three best and fairests, two All-Australians and the winner of the AFLCA champion player of the year award (2019).

Bomtempelli, by his performance, will have his hand stretched to take the mantle.

Others are in the conversation: Nathan Fyfe (No.3), Patrick Cripps (No.4) and Patrick Dangerfield (No.5).

If all of them can stay on the park, we are in for a doozy of a season of individual greatness.

Bontempelli takes over the captaincy of the Bulldogs this year which could motivate the young man even further.

That the Dogs looked primed for a serious run at the top four also adds flavour to the Bontempelli dish.

The two ruckmen — Max Gawn and Brodie Grundy — can’t really be separated and they both are inside the top 10.

Can anyone really answer with confidence about who is better between Gawn and Grundy? Let’s agree, both are tremendous players.

Giant Lachie Whitfield is arguably the best line-breaker in the competition and Lion Lachie Neale is a tough, prolific ball-winning midfielder. Both are in the Top 10.

The final position in the Top 10 goes to Richmond’s Tom Lynch.

He’s $5 for the Coleman Medal. He kicked 63 goals in 2019 after gaining fitness in the first half of the season and it’s not improbable he could kick as many as 80 goals this season.

Pre-season Top 50s are all about what we know and how we think the season will play out.

It’s why St Kilda’s Rowan Marshall (No.26) makes the list, and Melbourne’s Christian Petracca (No.49), Bulldog Aaron Naughton (No.34) and Lion Hugh McCluggage (No.44) are also tipped to become major players in their team’s performances.

The last spot on the list went to Bulldog Josh Dunkley.

At 23, and after a searing second half of last season, Dunkley’s name is one to watch in 2020.

Always the question is who came in at No.51.

Take your pick: Jade Gresham, Brad Hill, Mark Blicavs, Bachar Houli, Jeremy Howe, Luke Parker, Phil Davis, Steele Sidebottom, Robbie Tarrant, Robbie Gray, Nick Vlastuin, Isaac Heeney, Andrew Gaff, Josh Kennedy (WC), Dylan Shiel, Zach Merrett or Brad Crouch.

4 players in the top 50 with potential for 1 or 2 more in the coming years. We've had long long periods where we had none and no prospect of any.

Happy days.

Can someone please post Mark Robinson’s latest article that is about Bevo rejecting a rival coaching offer.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...n/news-story/4e079c2dca9541d13b3c302e1b69cbd2
Premiership coach Luke Beveridge snubbed rival offer last season to re-sign with Western Bulldogs

Premiership coach Luke Beveridge has revealed he snubbed an offer to leave Western Bulldogs last summer, despite feeling vulnerable about his position at Whitten Oval.

Mark Robinson, Exclusive, Herald Sun
similars

Luke Beveridge rejected overtures from a rival club before committing to coaching the Bulldogs until the end of the 2023 season.
Beveridge has revealed he was approached after the bye break last year when, he said, he was feeling vulnerable about his future at the Dogs.
He refused to name the club.
“Within our own club, I felt vulnerable,’’ the premiership coach said.
“I felt vulnerable as far as job security goes.
“And I knew the competition had changed and I knew there was a little bit of demand for coaches at other clubs.
“But I only wanted to coach the Bulldogs.
St Kilda, Fremantle, Carlton, North Melbourne and Adelaide changed coaches during last season and Essendon changed its coaching structure.
Of those clubs, Beveridge had the strongest links to the Saints, who appointed Brett Ratten as their senior coach.

Beveridge played 45 games at the Saints, his father, John, was the long-time recruiting boss and he had accepted a role at the Saints as head of football before his shock appointment at the Bulldogs for the 2015 season.
The Herald Sun is not suggesting the approach was from the Saints.
“I don’t want to talk about who it was from,’’ Beveridge told the Herald Sun.
“It didn’t shock me and I don’t want that to sound egotistical at all, but based on what the market was — and to seek out your interest and maybe even give you a guarantee that if you’re willing to come over, there’s every chance there is a role there — what it did was allow the Bulldogs and I to sit down and talk more seriously about my future and the future direction of the club.’’
At the bye, Beveridge and Bulldogs president Peter Gordon met in Noosa, where it was agreed to postpone contract talks until the end of the season.
But the approach by the unnamed club prompted Gordon and Beveridge to do the deal within four weeks.
At that stage, it was a possibility the Bulldogs could miss the finals for a third successive season after the 2016 premiership.
They would finish the season with an 8-3 win-loss record in the final 11 games and then lose to GWS in the first final.

The disappointing finish undermined a stunning second half of the season.
At the break, however, Beveridge believed his future was up in the air.
“Peter was terrific, he said there shouldn’t be any doubt about your future and I said to him it doesn’t seem like the right time to nail anything down,’’ the coach said.
“We were 4-7 and I wasn’t comfortable in doing anything and he felt the same way.
“But with what was happening with the coaching ranks, it brought it to a head a bit earlier.’’
Beveridge called the unnamed club and said thanks, but no thanks.
“I was really grateful Peter and the club saw fit to sign me up for a longer term when we hadn’t won eight of the last 11 yet,” Beveridge said.
He told Gordon of the rival’s approach.
He also said he understood if the club wanted to move him on despite being contracted until the end of 2020.
“I told him I didn’t want to coach anywhere else, but I don’t want to have to deal with the running conversations and uncertainty,’’ he said.
“I did say to him it’s the club’s opportunity, if you’re thinking differently, to get out if you want to.
“It’s a two-way street and that wasn’t in their thinking, so we signed it pretty quickly.’’

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...n/news-story/4e079c2dca9541d13b3c302e1b69cbd2
Premiership coach Luke Beveridge snubbed rival offer last season to re-sign with Western Bulldogs

Premiership coach Luke Beveridge has revealed he snubbed an offer to leave Western Bulldogs last summer, despite feeling vulnerable about his position at Whitten Oval.

Mark Robinson, Exclusive, Herald Sun
similars

Luke Beveridge rejected overtures from a rival club before committing to coaching the Bulldogs until the end of the 2023 season.
Beveridge has revealed he was approached after the bye break last year when, he said, he was feeling vulnerable about his future at the Dogs.
He refused to name the club.
“Within our own club, I felt vulnerable,’’ the premiership coach said.
“I felt vulnerable as far as job security goes.
“And I knew the competition had changed and I knew there was a little bit of demand for coaches at other clubs.
“But I only wanted to coach the Bulldogs.
St Kilda, Fremantle, Carlton, North Melbourne and Adelaide changed coaches during last season and Essendon changed its coaching structure.
Of those clubs, Beveridge had the strongest links to the Saints, who appointed Brett Ratten as their senior coach.

Beveridge played 45 games at the Saints, his father, John, was the long-time recruiting boss and he had accepted a role at the Saints as head of football before his shock appointment at the Bulldogs for the 2015 season.
The Herald Sun is not suggesting the approach was from the Saints.
“I don’t want to talk about who it was from,’’ Beveridge told the Herald Sun.
“It didn’t shock me and I don’t want that to sound egotistical at all, but based on what the market was — and to seek out your interest and maybe even give you a guarantee that if you’re willing to come over, there’s every chance there is a role there — what it did was allow the Bulldogs and I to sit down and talk more seriously about my future and the future direction of the club.’’
At the bye, Beveridge and Bulldogs president Peter Gordon met in Noosa, where it was agreed to postpone contract talks until the end of the season.
But the approach by the unnamed club prompted Gordon and Beveridge to do the deal within four weeks.
At that stage, it was a possibility the Bulldogs could miss the finals for a third successive season after the 2016 premiership.
They would finish the season with an 8-3 win-loss record in the final 11 games and then lose to GWS in the first final.

The disappointing finish undermined a stunning second half of the season.
At the break, however, Beveridge believed his future was up in the air.
“Peter was terrific, he said there shouldn’t be any doubt about your future and I said to him it doesn’t seem like the right time to nail anything down,’’ the coach said.
“We were 4-7 and I wasn’t comfortable in doing anything and he felt the same way.
“But with what was happening with the coaching ranks, it brought it to a head a bit earlier.’’
Beveridge called the unnamed club and said thanks, but no thanks.
“I was really grateful Peter and the club saw fit to sign me up for a longer term when we hadn’t won eight of the last 11 yet,” Beveridge said.
He told Gordon of the rival’s approach.
He also said he understood if the club wanted to move him on despite being contracted until the end of 2020.
“I told him I didn’t want to coach anywhere else, but I don’t want to have to deal with the running conversations and uncertainty,’’ he said.
“I did say to him it’s the club’s opportunity, if you’re thinking differently, to get out if you want to.
“It’s a two-way street and that wasn’t in their thinking, so we signed it pretty quickly.’’

Thank god that ended the way it did. We could have Brett Ratten coaching us. Or worse, that Scott brother from the Roos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back