What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Our old mate Frank Breglec has written another letter to the Canberra Times (today 4/4/20) offering some advice on how to get through these difficult times.

View attachment 852179

Not sure about the "lucky" bit though. Maybe it was a sub-editor's typo?

I don't know if you are one of our Canberra BF fraternity Frank but if you are reading this ... keep up the good work!
No sub-editors typo. If you gave followed the Bulldogs long enough you develop an unnatural pessimism where even when watching a replay can lead you to think " we could still lose this" . Hopefully 2016 has changed this for the next generations of Bulldog fans

MMM replaying 2016 grand final. 2nd qtr just about to start. GO DOGS
I listened to the whole thing. It was like the game was actually happening yesterday - that’s the effect of a live radio call being replayed. It was eerie listening to Spud Frawley’s voice. I stopped what I was doing for the last 15 minutes and closed my eyes, listened and got a bit emotional all over again. At least 4 commentators on triple M said it was the greatest grand final they had watched. One even comparing it to 89 saying that this was better. The boundary rider said that it was easily the loudest grand final ever...

I listened to the whole thing. It was like the game was actually happening yesterday - that’s the effect of a live radio call being replayed. It was eerie listening to Spud Frawley’s voice. I stopped what I was doing for the last 15 minutes and closed my eyes, listened and got a bit emotional all over again. At least 4 commentators on triple M said it was the greatest grand final they had watched. One even comparing it to 89 saying that this was better. The boundary rider said that it was easily the loudest grand final ever...
For those who want to keep that game on audio file. Go to the ‘Triple M the rub’ podcast on what ever podcast app you use. They have it broken into each quarter. I use ‘Overcast’, a very simple podcast app.
3AW have our 2016 preliminary final on their ‘3AW football’ podcast.
I’ll keep an eye on ‘AFL nation’ podcast of SEN who have had some other grand finals thus far.

Another day, another AFL article about Jamarra & asking who will bid for him first
A couple of posters that follow the draft very closely and move in those circles are saying they’ve heard the AFL are considering allowing clubs to pre-list these types before the draft this year. I assume this is in relation to reduced list sizes and a different looking draft.

A couple of posters that follow the draft very closely and move in those circles are saying they’ve heard the AFL are considering allowing clubs to pre-list these types before the draft this year. I assume this is in relation to reduced list sizes and a different looking draft.
How does that work? Would clubs still bid or we'd just automatically get him with our first pick?

How does that work? Would clubs still bid or we'd just automatically get him with our first pick?
No details but the suggestion is not even that, just get them, irrespective of the draft. Makes little sense to me but I guess if the draft is a complete lottery they might want to remove this batch of players. If lists are reduced only the very highly rated ones will be taken.

No details but the suggestion is not even that, just get them, irrespective of the draft. Makes little sense to me but I guess if the draft is a complete lottery they might want to remove this batch of players. If lists are reduced only the very highly rated ones will be taken.
Surely not. The powerful clubs would never allow it. Unless there was something in it for them of course.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely not. The powerful clubs would never allow it. Unless there was something in it for them of course.
Just a reminder - Collingwood have arguably more influence on AFL decisions than any other club, and have Reef McInnes as another very highly rated NGA this year.

There's also a Sydney NGA kid right up the top. Essendon has two (Brand and Eyre).

That's some pretty powerful clubs that would stand to benefit from allowing academy kids to be pre-listed. I highly doubt it would be allowed through, but if they did, we would be absolutely laughing. Means we get JUH, Raak and Macpherson for free, then just package up the rest of our picks for futures and take a pass on this year's draft.

No way it ends up that easy..

Just a reminder - Collingwood have arguably more influence on AFL decisions than any other club, and have Reef McInnes as another very highly rated NGA this year.

There's also a Sydney NGA kid right up the top. Essendon has two (Brand and Eyre).

That's some pretty powerful clubs that would stand to benefit from allowing academy kids to be pre-listed. I highly doubt it would be allowed through, but if they did, we would be absolutely laughing. Means we get JUH, Raak and Macpherson for free, then just package up the rest of our picks for futures and take a pass on this year's draft.

I can’t think of any reason/context why they would consider it either.

I can’t think of any reason/context why they would consider it either.
Twomey mentioned it in his article.

My guess is that if we have a shortened draft, and cut back lists, teams with highly rated players won’t have enough draft picks to have the points to be able to match early bids.

If the Bulldogs finish 8th, and JUH is bid on at pick 3, the Bulldogs face carrying over a -~600 point deficit on their 2021 first round pick.

Sydney will be in the same boat, or possibly worse effected.

Maybe the Bulldogs trade their first round pick to Gold Coast, for their two early second round picks.

Second round picks face being seriously devalued from being pushed back 5 or 6 spots.

Few teams will want to trade a future pick for a 2020 pick.

And a team like Port who only hold 3 late second round picks, probably won’t be able to package them to trade up, because almost no teams will have 3 vacant list spots to trade for 3 picks.

The other effect a shortened draft, and possibly no junior footy being played, is that it will significantly improve the 2021 draft.

Teams this year will go the safe picks, will base a lot of their assessment on the 2018 U16 championships.

We won’t see the late developers that always come on in their top age year.

If we look at previous drafts, but do not factor in improvement in their U18 year, Bontempeli is at best a second round selection, Clayton Oliver doesn’t get drafted, neither does Andrew McGrath, McCluggage and Taranto are at best second round selections. And I could go on and on for each draft.

Worpel would have been a first round pick. So would have Dylan Williams, Will Gould, Jeremy Sharp (2019), Oscar Clavarino and Connor Ballenden (2017) would have been first round picks.

Their will be many 19 year old late developers, as well as the top U18 kids, who are considered a stronger draft crop next year, making the top end of next years draft stronger, and depth probably well in to the second round.

This, combined with shorter lists, and fewer draft picks, will have a knock on effect of pushing more 19 year olds in to the 2022 draft, and it will just keep happening.

Any pick outside the top 10 this year holds very little value to trade for future picks.

Boyd's kicked it. from inside the center! fu** I cant beleive that

not even sure if triple M was on the dvd. hope someone recorded.

triple m was on the DVD.I watched it again yesterday because I missed the start of the radio call and was still in the mood, so had triple m dubbed over the telecast.

Cool. So let's get Jamarra for free like the Suns got their academy picks for free last year. No complaints from me.

Brisbane great Alastair Lynch names the 10 best key forwards in the AFL aged 21 and under
Who is the best young key forward in the AFL? Triple Brisbane premiership forward Alastair Lynch names his top 10, with a Bulldog, Sun and Kangaroo in the top five. See the full list.
Jon Ralph, Herald Sun
Subscriber only
|
April 6, 2020 7:00am

MORE IN SPORT

Scott: Rules I’d change to survive corona cram

Dusty, Richo or Rance: Who is era’s top Tiger?

Hurley’s heartwarming fan gesture

Who is the best young key forward in the AFL?
Triple premiership star and Fox Footy expert Alastair Lynch believes that title goes to Bulldog Aaron Naughton.
The Brisbane Lions great explains to Jon Ralph who he rates as the best 10 key forwards 21-and-under on their future potential, with Gold Coast boasting the game’s second best prospect.
See his full list below.
ALASTAIR LYNCH’S TOP 10 KEY FORWARDS AGED 21 AND UNDER
1. AARON NAUGHTON (20, Western Bulldogs)
Lynch says: “He can take contested grabs and he has got such power. He is absolutely the one I would pick to build a forward line around.”
Relive classic AFL matches from the 60s to today on KAYO SPORTS. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly
Aaron Naughton is the best young key forward in the AFL, according to Alastair Lynch. Picture: Michael Klein
Aaron Naughton is the best young key forward in the AFL, according to Alastair Lynch. Picture: Michael Klein
2. BEN KING (19, Gold Coast)
Lynch says: “He has more exposed form than his brother and has taken genuine one-on-one contested marks against great defenders without good delivery. 11 goals in his last five games last year.” 3. NICK BLAKEY (20, Sydney)

Lynch says: “His dad John was best man at my wedding but this isn’t about favouritism. He is so explosive and can get up into the midfield to lose his man. He uses the ball so well and loves the big moments. He is the pick of these guys as a player who could play wing or midfield.”
Nick Blakey has already had a big impact at Sydney. Picture: Phil Hillyard
Nick Blakey has already had a big impact at Sydney. Picture: Phil Hillyard
Max King made his AFL debut in Round 1. Picture: Michael Klein
Max King made his AFL debut in Round 1. Picture: Michael Klein
4. MAX KING (19, St Kilda)
Lynch says: “Haven’t seen a lot of him yet but a No.4 pick who should be a star for a long time. Took some great marks against Darcy Moore in the pre-season and has the perfect junior pedigree.”
5. NICK LARKEY (21, North Melbourne)
Lynch says: “Kicked 26 goals in 17 games last year and will add some more power to his game and fill out. Can’t wait to see him and Ben Brown play together for the next five years, with Cam Zuurhar as the mid-sized forward.”
Nick Larkey had a breakout season in 2019. Picture: Michael Klein
Nick Larkey had a breakout season in 2019. Picture: Michael Klein
Mitch Lewis celebrates a goal for the Hawks. Picture: Michael Klein
Mitch Lewis celebrates a goal for the Hawks. Picture: Michael Klein
6. MITCH LEWIS (21, Hawthorn)
Lynch says: “Really impressed with his development as a late pick (No.76). He moves well and marks the ball really strongly above his head. Kicked 20 goals from 12 games last year but also took 27 marks. I was surprised he was dropped at times.”
7. OSCAR ALLEN (21, West Coast)
Lynch says: “He has shown plenty given the limited opportunities because of the forwards in front of him. Also pinch-hits in the ruck and played 21 games in a great side last year. The perfect successor to Josh Kennedy when he does retire and just does a lot right.”
Oscar Allen has managed to make an impact at the Eagles despite being behind established stars Josh Kennedy and Jack Darling. Picture: Michael Klein
Oscar Allen has managed to make an impact at the Eagles despite being behind established stars Josh Kennedy and Jack Darling. Picture: Michael Klein
8. TODD MARSHALL (21, Port Adelaide)
Lynch says: “Only 10 goals from 10 games last year but he’s going to develop into a really high-class forward. He moves well in the forward line, he isn’t one-dimensional and he uses it well. He has had enormous family challenges in the first part of his career but he will settle down into a high-class player.”
9. ESAVA RATUGOLEA (21, Geelong)
Lynch says: “Love his raw athleticism and power. He looks like he will perfectly compliment Tom Hawkins and then eventually succeed him. 15 goals from 20 games last year and some ruck work. He has had to overcome some injuries and will develop some consistency but he’s only been playing since he was 13 so he has real upside.”
10. TOM McCARTIN (20, Sydney)
Lynch says: “He has a massive tank to get up and down the SCG and they are going to settle him down as a forward after he played forward and back last year. A perfect forward line to develop in alongside Lance Franklin and Nick Blakey.”
HONOURABLE MENTIONS: Darcy Fogarty (Adelaide), Cam Zuurhar (North Melbourne), Elliott Himmelberg (Adelaide).

Hearing Spud did it for me - he was so happy for us. And I can confirm, the MCG was indeed shaking

BULLDOGS
Western Bulldogs’ Will Hayes back with father David Hayes helping out at Lindsay Park Racing Stables
While he hopes his AFL career is still just in its infancy, Will Hayes has had another taste of what life after football will look like as he spends the suspension period back home helping famous horse-training father David Hayes.
Chris Cavanagh, Herald Sun
Subscriber only
|
April 6, 2020 5:14pm
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...s/news-story/f3c06d3e5ebb2235cbe638a92d24a823
More than two hours before sunrise, Will Hayes bounces out of bed.
For the Western Bulldogs midfielder, the suspension of the AFL season has been no holiday.
Instead, early rises have become the new normal back on the family farm near Euroa in northern Victoria.
With Victorian horse racing still in full swing, it is all hands on deck at the Lindsay Park Racing Stables where father David and brother Ben continue to train winners.
“I’ve got a pretty nice daily routine up here where I get up around 4.30am, head into the stables and ‘muck out’, which is pretty much just cleaning the stables,” Will told the Herald Sun.
“Then about 6.30am when the first horses are ridden I’ll get in my car and go up to the hut and have a few coffees and watch the horses work up the hill.

Western Bulldogs player Will Hayes trains on his family's property. Picture: Robert Cianflone/Getty Images)
Western Bulldogs player Will Hayes trains on his family's property. Picture: Robert Cianflone/Getty Images)
Will Hayes gets a gym session in. Picture: Robert Cianflone/Getty Images)
Will Hayes gets a gym session in. Picture: Robert Cianflone/Getty Images)
“We’re servicing our water walk at the moment as well which is just literally scrubbing the walls after we drained it. There’s always little things like that to do around the farm so I’m keeping busy every day.”
Will hit the road home the day after the AFL season was suspended and would not have it any other way.
“I think I’m pretty lucky,” he said.
“I’ve definitely got the best of a bad situation, being able to still be a part of my family business and seeing how that all works. I think I’m pretty fortunate to have so much stimulation.”
Football has not been completely forgotten, though.
Will has kept in contact with teammates on WhatsApp and has about 2000 acres of land to run around and complete his personal training program to stay match-fit.

“There’s no shortage or hills around here,” Will laughed.
“I was very glad that my parents gave me the ability to pursue my football dreams because without their blessing I definitely wouldn’t have done it.”
In his first year with the Bulldogs last season, the 24-year-old played nine AFL games including the club’s elimination final loss to Greater Western Sydney.
He was suspended for Round 1 this year for laying a sling tackle during the Marsh Community Series, but hopes it will not be too long before he will be back on the field to help the Bulldogs make amends for a 52-point loss to Collingwood in the season opener.

“We know we’re a lot better than that so it’s a shame we’ve had to wait so long until Round 2 but when that does come around I’m sure we’ll be ready to go,” Will said.
While hopes are the footy career continues to blossom, Will knows exactly where he’ll be heading back to when it is all said and done.
“I’ve always had a strong passion for racing ever since I was a kid,” Will said.
“I’m fortunate to have an idea of what my life after footy looks like, so especially in times like this I can really focus on developing myself out of football in an area I know I’ll have to be sufficient in one day.”
Will Hayes is having a different shutdown to many other footballers. Picture: Robert Cianflone/Getty Images)
Will Hayes is having a different shutdown to many other footballers. Picture: Robert Cianflone/Getty Images)
Anyone for golf? Picture: Robert Cianflone/Getty Images)
Anyone for golf? Picture: Robert Cianflone/Getty Images)

Confirmed we will be one of just six clubs who will not need assistance from the AFL during the COVID-19 period. Who would have thought five yrs ago we'd be in this position. Credit to the higher powers, bloody proud of the effort of everyone to get us to this point.

Western Bulldogs among the six clubs to go it alone
You have 5 free articles remaining
In times of uncertainty, you deserve understanding.
FIND OUT MORE
Already subscribed? Log in
Jake Niall
By Jake Niall
April 6, 2020 — 8.22pm
Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size
Leave a comment
In a remarkable turn of events, the Western Bulldogs will be one of at least six AFL clubs who draw on their own funds to survive, outside of player payments, during the game’s financial crisis.
The Bulldogs have confirmed that, due to their balance sheet – which includes substantial cash reserves – they will be among what the AFL is referring to as ‘‘unassisted’’ clubs who will self fund during the COVID-19 lockdown period.
The Western Bulldogs will be among   the AFL clubs who draw on their own funds to survive, outside of player payments.

The Western Bulldogs will be among the AFL clubs who draw on their own funds to survive, outside of player payments.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES
The other five clubs known to be funding their operations, besides player payments, are West Coast, Richmond, Collingwood, Hawthorn and Adelaide.
The Crows have emerged as the club who intend to borrow from their bank instead of from the AFL, revealing that they are looking to obtain a loan from the Bank of Bendigo.
Advertisement

All of the clubs are expected to sign up to the AFL’s program, which will ensure all 18 clubs have their total player payments fully funded, but there is a split between clubs who intend to borrow from the AFL – the clear majority of clubs – and those who will be self-funded in the remainder of their football department and administration.
The prevailing view is that the ‘‘unassisted’’ clubs, even though they are still signing up to AFL terms to get their players paid, will have less scrutiny from headquarters, which will exercise greater control on the "assisted'' clubs and demand more accountability.
Bulldogs president Peter Gordon said the Bulldogs ‘‘will be an unassisted club,’’ adding, ‘‘it’s our expectation we will remain unassisted for the duration of it [the COVID-19 crisis]’’.
Gordon, who was president of the club when the Bulldogs survived the prospect of a merger with Fitzroy in 1989, said the club had worked hard ‘‘for 10 years to get a substantial asset base’’.
The Bulldogs had a debt in excess of $10 million back in 2012 and had long been among the clubs – along with North Melbourne, St Kilda and Melbourne – that struggled to stay afloat until the AFL decided to vary the distributions to the clubs. The Dogs, who like Collingwood and Geelong have also sold their gaming interests, have one of the better balance sheets in the AFL.
Advertisement

RELATED ARTICLE
Gary Ablett senior during the 1994 season.
ANALYSIS
REAL FOOTY PODCAST

Real Footy podcast: 'What did Gary Ablett snr do to offend you?'
Add to shortlist
Gordon said while there had been a ‘‘significant underestimation of our liquidity position,’’ the club had spent a long time and knew what it was like to be ‘‘in a precarious position’’.
He said the ‘‘continued support of our members is important to us’’, along with their sponsors.
Adelaide chairman Rob Chapman said the Crows looked like they would be borrowing from their bank, the Bank of Bendigo, rather than taking a loan from the AFL.
The Crows are taking the view that, because they will need to borrow – not having sufficient cash reserves at the moment after paying down debt over the years – they would be better to borrow from their bank rather than the AFL.
Advertisement

While the richer clubs that choose to be "unassisted'' will deplete their cash reserves, they gain in another sense – that those that have only 75 per cent or so of their player payments funded by the AFL (as in the cases of West Coast, Collingwood and Hawthorn), will now have 100 per cent of their player payments paid for, with the exception of the marketing payments, which are about $1 million and will need to be self-funded by all clubs rich or poor.
The assisted clubs are expected to get a better interest rate from the AFL than they would from a bank and they can get an injection of money immediately, but will subject to increased scrutiny from the AFL. They will be drawing on the AFL's line of credit of up to $600 million, for which Marvel Stadium was used as security.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back