List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Current no. of players on the list
Senior list - 34 (2-4 free*)
Rookie (Cat A) - 4 (0-2 free*)
Rookie (Cat B) - 2 (0 free)
Maximum list size of 44. Up to 36-38 senior list, 4-6 category A rookie list and 2 category B rookie list.
* Total of four list spots available, with a minimum of 2 senior list spots needing to be utilised.

List changes
IN: Daniher, Cockatoo, Uosis (R)
OUT: Christensen, Wooller, Allison (R), Skinner (R), Eagles (R), C. Lyons (R), Martin, Witherden, Cox, Hinge.
PROMOTED: Fullarton.
ROOKIED: Birchall, Mathieson, Ballendan.

Current picks
25, 53, 58, 69, 70
(2021 - 1st (MEL), 1st, 3rd (WCE), 3rd, 4th (MEL), 4th (COLL), 5th)

Useful links
2020 trade news compendium
List changes, contract status and key dates
2020 draft discussion thread

Last edited:
He wasn't asked about whether we had any other trade targets - he just said no to Treloar. I think if we are looking at any other players they won't be in the treloar pay bracket though.

That doesn't rule out a heap of players given he'd cost minimum 700 K a year with the Pies only paying 200k.

Bit disappointed that Birchall is playing on. He has been solid for us this year, but think the likes of Witherden/Hinge would offer more and give us more drive from the backline. He is no Hodge either when it comes to leadership and being a role model.

Keep him as a player/coach given the soft cap on coaching staff right now.

Not convinced we're not going after a mid despite Nobles interview.

I reckon Berry will be physically ready to play as a full time midfielder next year. Also think Starcevich is a strong chance to train as a mid, opening a spot up for Answerth down back.
Rayner is the big bodied mid... why do posters turn a blind eye to this stud. He's everything we need... just needs to have a big off season and he will dominate.

Bit disappointed that Birchall is playing on. He has been solid for us this year, but think the likes of Witherden/Hinge would offer more and give us more drive from the backline. He is no Hodge either when it comes to leadership and being a role model.

It's up to those guys (and others like Brock Smith) to force a 33yo out of the side through their performance. I suspect if Witherden had continued playing like he did against Essendon, he wouldn't have been dropped.

Rayner is the big bodied mid... why do posters turn a blind eye to this stud. He's everything we need... just needs to have a big off season and he will dominate.
Because not all mid-sized players turn into full-time midfielders. Maybe he is always destined to be part-time forward, part-time mid.

Because not all mid-sized players turn into full-time midfielders. Maybe he is always destined to be part-time forward, part-time mid.
Heard an interview with him within the last month or 2 where he suggested that he saw himself more as a forward but was trying to increase his mid time to around a maximum of 40% game time. Ultimately saw himself as 60/40 forward/mid.
Currently playing around 70/30 or thereabouts.

Pretty clear TR hosts haven’t watched a single second of Martin this year.
Considering he only played 8 games this year indicates he wasn't exactly a key player, not to mention the qualifying final Big O played as the main ruck. Martin played an average 60% of game time compared to 79% by the Big O

It's up to those guys (and others like Brock Smith) to force a 33yo out of the side through their performance. I suspect if Witherden had continued playing like he did against Essendon, he wouldn't have been dropped.
hopefully next year there is a VFL competition that the Lions are in, so the young guys can show form and get a chance, very hard this year with only ressie matches sometimes 15 v 15 etc.. I think sometimes coaches in all codes have their favourites and easier to go with the experience, that is only human nature. But Lions did make a Prelim.
The current Australian Netball captain could not get regular game time this year in the Super netball competition, and I believe the side did not even make the GF.
The centre from the storm is now a premiership player but has been to about 3 or 4 different NRL clubs.
Just don't think Birchall or Martin should be going around again, we have experience, especially in the backline (Lester, Rich, Andrews, Gardiner all played over 100 games), and can't blame Witho or even maybe Answerth (even though contracted) from seeking opportunities.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Glad to hear that we aren’t at all interested in Treloar.

Birchall was always going to want to play on I feel. Really need Witherden, Answerth and the others pushing hard for his spot.

Not going after another midfielder seems to me that we have prioritised a tall, are keeping cap space to re-sign players and probably back in the younger crop to keep improving in that area.

I can understand the expectations with Cam but I think they're too high . He's played nearly every game for 3 years . I would guess he averages around 8 possessions a game. Kicks the occasional goal. If he was going to be mainly a midfielder he'd be doing it more often by now ,certainly next year.

I'm hoping like everyone else his ceiling is a lot higher but he still needs to show it.

I'd be surprised if we don't look at whichever M/F's are available in the trade period . Treloar is too expensive and the deal would be complicated .

Heard an interview with him within the last month or 2 where he suggested that he saw himself more as a forward but was trying to increase his mid time to around a maximum of 40% game time. Ultimately saw himself as 60/40 forward/mid.
Currently playing around 70/30 or thereabouts.

Roar deal IIRC

Daniher, Cockatoo, Blake Coleman, if they are all we end up with out of the trade and draft, id be pretty happy. Not knowing what list sizes will be, 7 out including Cox, we may only have space to bring in these 3. Martin id like to keep around for 1 more year at least but id be also ok with letting him go for the spot if needed. I can see Oscar taking no1 ruck and daniher if fit enough playing a ruck/rwd role. Fullarton will keep him honest and Archie can pinch hit. Birchall is a tough one, i do think our defense will be better in the long run with witherden and answerth, and i think he will be overtaken by these lads next year. Its all up to Birchall, he has the leading hand. What is Marcus Adams status, was it an option for a third year or is a third by contract.

Always interesting this time of year, as i said id be happy if we just got the 3 players mentioned but the club usually pulls out a surprise for us all. I hope its the same this year.

Daniher, Cockatoo, Blake Coleman, if they are all we end up with out of the trade and draft, id be pretty happy. Not knowing what list sizes will be, 7 out including Cox, we may only have space to bring in these 3. Martin id like to keep around for 1 more year at least but id be also ok with letting him go for the spot if needed. I can see Oscar taking no1 ruck and daniher if fit enough playing a ruck/rwd role. Fullarton will keep him honest and Archie can pinch hit. Birchall is a tough one, i do think our defense will be better in the long run with witherden and answerth, and i think he will be overtaken by these lads next year. Its all up to Birchall, he has the leading hand. What is Marcus Adams status, was it an option for a third year or is a third by contract.

Always interesting this time of year, as i said id be happy if we just got the 3 players mentioned but the club usually pulls out a surprise for us all. I hope its the same this year.

Adams was reportedly 4 years - not OOC until 2022.

Birchall been pretty good this year and has been really good along with Rich in setting us up through the corridor. His actual defending is serviceable but not great. He isn't playing on to be a reserves team mentor but that being said his position shouldn't be guaranteed any more with other good replacements being set up.

Mitch Robinson done a lot for us but I feel like he could be overtaken at some point next year by a kid or an import or someone. Form dropped off a bit this year.

Mitch Robinson done a lot for us but I feel like he could be overtaken at some point next year by a kid or an import or someone. Form dropped off a bit this year.

Stats dropped off cause his role changed, which is something he has had to adjust too. Coaches happy with him. From either his rip through it or roar deal podcasts

His role changed a fair bit, which is why he didn't hit the stat sheet as much. I think he was still fine, but yeah, at some point will get overtaken. He is approaching the end. For the mean time, he will make a young kid earn that spot.

Isn't that basically what CEY is? And yet for some reason we've been playing him as a forward, it boggles the mind. And as you mentioned, Smith and Robertson are both extractors too. I too am happy with the options we have. If it doesn't work out this year, Clayton Oliver will be OOC in 2021.

Some fans are so keen for shiny new toys they forget the cool toys we have already

Remove this Banner Ad

Back