Oppo Camp Non-Essendon Football Thread XIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Richmond brother and I argue over that call to this day. I'll be forever filthy about it, changed the direction of the match imo.

It was a horseshit call. Martin went over like a bitch because Hurley had a significant strength advantage, and the umpire gave a free kick under rule eleventy seven that states at all times a player must concede to Martin's strength advantage...

I'm really unsure on it, in some ways it's easier to police than the old rule, since it's simply 'don't move'. In others, does it mean if there's a player who takes a mark i50 with a free teammate the man on the mark has to stand still and can't cover the guy running free behind them?

One thing I am wondering - does it also include the player marking a shot for goal? Are they still allowed to move around to distract the player taking a set shot?

One thing I am wondering - does it also include the player marking a shot for goal? Are they still allowed to move around to distract the player taking a set shot?
No, that was mentioned in the article.

You can flap your arms about I think, that's about all? No steps in any direction? I assume jumping vertically to attempt a smother might be ok?

Argue? Your brother must be incredibly one eyed, i think even dusty was surprised on that call.

Oh you don't know the half of it. His words, "Hurley's arm wrapped all over Dusty's shoulder, holding."

Even last years match he thought Pickett's push on Clarke was a legal tackle and spent the whole time defending Grimes actions. Unbearable.

The old axiom of actions speaking louder than words is dead.
Despite a detailed report that found the club was systemically racist? Sounds like there was plenty of action going on.

the umpire gave a free kick under rule eleventy seven that states at all times a player must concede to Martin's strength advantage...

If you had've said "Dusty's" rather than "Martin's" I'd say that's a direct quote from Bruce McAvaney's commentary. It'd just need a "don't ya think Duck?" at the end for authenticity purposes.

Frankly, the Telstra/Kayo spilt was pretty strange and it's time was ticking anyway.

Of more concern is that the anti-siphoning list list is expiring soon and the current government hasn't exactly been a friend to FTA sport (see: 40 million to fox over the last 5 years to cover women's sport much worse than the ABC would have)
To be fair, Channel 7 hasn't been a friend to to free to air sport either

I don't think anyone with any sense thinks McGuire is a sh*t human.

It doesn't have to be black and white, nor should it.

But the reality is, on a too regular basis he's said some racist things - even though I know he didn't mean harm - and has been the decades long President of a club that has a racism problem.

And then, at the final hurdle as it were, STILL tried to spin - thus proving he still really doesn't get it.

So yeah, he's gotta go from the role, and no, I don't feel sorry for him.
You can think he has to go but still feel sorry him - they aren’t mutually exclusive.

It’s an ignominious end for him, I don’t like seeing the pile on that has ensued.

it blows my mind that people can feel sorry for eddie mcguire, one of the most privileged people in Australia, yet can’t muster two shits for those his club has been proven to systemically be racist to

There is an element to it I like, in that if you give away a free you're out of the play until the free is taken. There's a neat symmetry to the way teams don't get to choose who takes free kicks and set shots.

Will it lead to more frustrating 50s for minor infringements? Most likely, until the players and umpires settle in - but standing the mark is easier than moving laterally without crossing an invisible line entirely subject to the umpire's memory and positioning.

Will favoured players and teams be given a more favourable interpretation? Yes, but unfortunately the only way out of that is not having rules.

Will teams figure out how to work against it quickly enough? Of course. The only question is whether it's worth sacrificing a player out of the defensive zone to stand on the corridor side of the protected area.

The player doesn't actually have to man the mark they can drop back into a zone and then come up if the player plays on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

it blows my mind that people can feel sorry for eddie mcguire, one of the most privileged people in Australia, yet can’t muster two shits for those his club has been proven to systemically be racist to
Why? Like everyone he's not all good and not all bad. Most feel he is good on balance. That's my sense and I'm sorry it has ended this way for him. He isn't the Grand Wizard of the KKK.....

Equally, I guarantee you some of those those who suffered at the hands of the systemic racism are imperfect themselves, less that angels even. However, I feel for them as well.

Why? Like everyone he's not all good and not all bad. Most feel he is good on balance. That's my sense and I'm sorry it has ended this way for him. He isn't the Grand Wizard of the KKK.....

Equally, I guarantee you some of those those who suffered at the hands of the systemic racism are imperfect themselves, less that angels even. However, I feel for them as well.
this response is perfect.

Eddie = good on balance
those that suffered = less than angels.

Take the character of the guy out of it. He ****ed up and was held accountable for that. I could be Mother Teresa but that doesn't absolve me of responsibility for my actions.

Likewise, maybe the victims weren't as pure as driven snow but they still deserve to have the person responsible for what happened to them held to account. What they've done or not done in the past has no relevance to the racism they have experienced.

FYI - The 'no angel' crap is used to justify all kinds of horrible s**t that happens to people, usually an authority figure doing something to a minority (for example, see the people digging up Floyd George's past to try and make it seem like he deserved to be murdered by a cop). It's deliberate and it's aimed at diminishing the severity of whatever it was that happened to deny someone justice. Maybe it was just poorly chosen words but it's probably going to ruffle a few feathers.

Take the character of the guy out of it. He f’ed up and was held accountable for that. I could be Mother Teresa but that doesn't absolve me of responsibility for my actions.

Likewise, maybe the victims weren't as pure as driven snow but they still deserve to have the person responsible for what happened to them held to account. What they've done or not done in the past has no relevance to the racism they have experienced.

FYI - The 'no angel' crap is used to justify all kinds of horrible sh*t that happens to people, usually an authority figure doing something to a minority (for example, see the people digging up Floyd George's past to try and make it seem like he deserved to be murdered by a cop). It's deliberate and it's aimed at diminishing the severity of whatever it was that happened to deny someone justice. Maybe it was just poorly chosen words but it's probably going to ruffle a few feathers.
Think my point was clear - we are all a mixture of good and bad. Nobody is perfect, none of us are saints.

The reason I said it was to explain why I feel for Eddie. I didn’t say he shouldn’t go, just that I felt for him. I also said I felt for the players who experienced racism.

Totally different to what you suggest re Floyd.I totally agree that some diminished what happened to him by highlighting his past.

He commissioned the report....if he hadn’t of employed a stupid choice of words when presenting it he’d still be President.
He also signaled his resignation before the report got out. Still would have been president =/= still should have been president.

Im pretty critical of Eddie, generally not a fan of his. But one aspect where I can see Bruno and Vanders point is that now Eddie has become the focus of all that is wrong with the Pies. There is no introspection from the rest of the Collingwood hierarchy, nor the AFL or the AFL media of what part they played in this situation. THey all are as or more complicit as McGuire.
THe AFL bosses and media actually piss me off even more.
The AFL talk such a big game on progressive values but have dropped the ball big time with both Goodes/Lumumba, all talk and no action it seems.

And then the AFL media now are running concurrent stories baying for Eddies blood /discrediting Lumumba. They protected Collingwood and helped amplify the narrative that Lumumba had mental demons, but now they want to rub their hands of it. I even saw that moron Chip Le Grand throwing stones on twitter at Dan Andrews for his straight bat responses re Eddie (something about "this is what happens when you're part of Melbourne's elite" this coming from the guy who worked at both the Oz and Fairfax and has been running stories all of 2020 spruiking for various Business Lobby groups during the pandemic)

He commissioned the report....if he hadn’t of employed a stupid choice of words when presenting it he’d still be President.
Eddie could have saved his job if instead of "proud day" he led with an announcement that Collingwood was going to get all the AFL & AFLW players to do a "We are the World" style epic version of the Paul McCartney/Stevie Wonder song Ebony & Ivory

Ebony & Ivory
Live together in perfect harmony
Side by side on my football jersey
Oh lord why don't we??

I'm not sure you can call a repeat racist, homophobe and misogynist a "good human".
Everybody is a white supremacist terrorist these days.

Even black people (who don't vote left) apparently.

I'm quite sure that everybody I disagree with on any issue is systematically bigoted towards everybody else. That allows me to be free to be oh so superior.

FMD. Listen to you. You define "racist" in such a trivial and nebulous fashion that exactly zero people in history could ever have been anything other than "not a good human".

McGuire is an idiot. He should have looked at the Ziggy report and realised that if he gave someone a chance to write a report on "systematic racism" then whoever that did that would look to virtue signal, in this case by finding "systematic racism" everywhere they looked. At best, the report could have found nothing and McGuire would have been accused of a whitewash. Instead of agreeing to a report he should have picked out a media outlet (preferably the ABC), found some examples of bigotry, past or present, and said "There is far less racism at Collingwood than there is at the ABC. I demand the AFL sever all ties with the ABC until its entire racist past/present has been cleansed". [Needless to say, no amount of cleansing should ever be deemed sufficient].

Under no circumstances should you ever try and reason with someone who throws out "you're a racist" lines all the time. You attack them. Attack them some more. And when they call for "mercy" attack them even harder.

Under no circumstances should you ever try and reason with someone who throws out "you're a racist" lines all the time. You attack them. Attack them some more. And when they call for "mercy" attack them even harder.

What happens if someone has an equally opposite insane reaction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back